What's new

Soaps that don’t work for you

Valobra ... both stick and puck just won't give me a decent lather ... on top of that, too expensive .... regretibly, because I love the scents and other aesthetics of Valobra soaps ...

Lightfoots Pine should not be called a shave soap

proxy.php

Came here to say that^^^

Hahaha man the Erasmic Stick really is terrble, no WAY this product went thru any sort of testing before they released it to the public. Aparently the older formula was pretty good stuff but the current formula takes the cake as worst product ever.

Hahaha man the Erasmic Stick really is terrble, no WAY this product went thru any sort of testing before they released it to the public. Aparently the older formula was pretty good stuff but the current formula takes the cake as worst product ever.

Unfortunately, a many brands have eliminated certain ingredients from their soaps based on pressure from activist groups. Others have tried to make a cheaper product to compete at entry level price points. As a result, some once well respected products no longer perform at the level that earned them their long-standing reputations. Fortunately, a few have kept their original formulas and others have worked hard to improve their formulas.

I am having a hell of a time with vegan soaps. They perform well, but they leave my face irritated. I have tried 3 different brands to no avail. What is in them that causes my face to burn?

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood soap. Have not tried the cream. For me at least nothing special about the lather. Kind of meh slickness and protection and .... irritated my face.

Only soap I ever gave up on for anything other than scent.

All of these cause some type of discomfort (e.g. stinging, burning) on my skin. All are great soaps, but they just don't work for me.

Boellis Panama 1924
PannaCrema Pure20
LaToja
Stirling Sandalwood (Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood does not cause me any problem)

For those having issues with Mystic Water, if you feel inclined to give it another try I might suggest using one of their shaving sticks, or forming what you have into a stick and just lathering it directly on your face. It seems like lots of folks have issues with not picking up enough product while loading from the puck, but its easy to get plenty into your beard and then lather from there.

I am one of the people who couldn't lather Mystic Waters and I was using their shaving stick. It turns out it wasn't the amount of soap loaded that was the issue, it was my water. When I tried it with reverse osmosis water, it lathered fine. Love the scent of Jeff's Lavender, but it's not worth the trouble of using bottled water.

Meissner Tremonia, dark limes. I didnt like the smell and couldn't get on with the lather. I have too many soaps that I like too much to work on the lather for this soap. May try it again in the future with a different scent when I've got through some of my current soap.

I am one of the people who couldn't lather Mystic Waters and I was using their shaving stick. It turns out it wasn't the amount of soap loaded that was the issue, it was my water. When I tried it with reverse osmosis water, it lathered fine. Love the scent of Jeff's Lavender, but it's not worth the trouble of using bottled water.

Some soaps are specifically formulated to work with hard water. I have very hard water and have difficult with a number of soaps. However, many work just fine.

Tallow+ steel merchandise X7. Burn my skin like crazy only had it on my face for 20 seconds. I’m sure the soap would have worked will if I didn’t react to the cinnamon.

Unfortunately, a many brands have eliminated certain ingredients from their soaps based on pressure from activist groups. Others have tried to make a cheaper product to compete at entry level price points. As a result, some once well respected products no longer perform at the level that earned them their long-standing reputations. Fortunately, a few have kept their original formulas and others have worked hard to improve their formulas.
That's not the case with Erasmic. It's still tallow based, it's just basically a hand soap, being made at a factory with no shaving soap experience or knowledge.

The worst for me are the sort of 'artisanal' soaps you find at a local market. Like Erasmic, usually made by people with no experience with shaving soap, olive oil high in the ingredients list and a lot of boasting about 'naturalness'. I now know a lot better than to entertainnthese sorts of soaps.

Yeah I don't think I would ever go so far as to use a particular water for a soap. Bummer it didn't want to work well in your water!

Its great to see when soap makers try to better their product rather than cheapen up on ingredients. Seems like the artisans usually want to make the best product possible, while most big names have reformulated for the worst (TOBS, T&H, Trumpers, Williams, AOS, Etc.). ITs a good time to be into this hobby as there are a TON of choices and something for everyone.

I'm currently having issues with Mystic Waters too. I've used it three times; the first time I got a good lather, and the next two times, bowl and face, it was super foamy and airy, just totally sucked. The most recent time was today, and I may have found that I'm not loading enough. After ten minutes of trying to get it to come together and just ending up with wet, loose foam, I went back into the puck and loaded a lot more, and then the density totally changed. It got much thicker and creamier. I think the key is to really keep the water content low and just load the crap out of it. I dig the performance when it comes together, and the scents are great, so I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

I want to like Murphy & McNeil's soaps, but I am finding them a bit too soft for my liking. Is anyone else running into this? I think that the post shave is excellent and performance is not that bad, I just can't seem to get it dialed in as easily as others, and I don't know if that is due to the softness of the soap, but was just curious if anyone was running into this with their offerings?
I know I’m three months late to the party, but I agree with you. Turns to mush the moment I start loading. Gave my Ouroboros away.

Top Bottom