What's new

Soaps that don’t work for you

So I tried a new soap today. St Charles “Old Spice Type”. Decent smell, definitely similar to old spice, so there’s the scent, take it or leave it.

However, I could not get a satisfactory lather from this soap.

Now, I am not saying this is a bad product. Please don’t read that into my experience. It could be my water, or the chemistry of my face, or the fact that I was also using a new (brand new) brush (well, a vintage handle with a new knot In it), or my general inexperience with lots of soaps, or maybe I’ve been spoiled with super easy to lather soaps... The point is, it may not be a defect of the product per se, but I could not get a workable lather that stuck around for a full minute.

Now, at first I was pretty impressed with the packaging - lots of experienced latherheads say they get better performance from a full puck, and this sample is like a 1 mm wafer of a full puck - a really nice way to package a sample that gave me a puck loading experience.

I started loading in my usual way that works for Arko and Tabac, and worked well for TOBS. Made a pretty thick proto lather, and began developing the lather on my wet face, adding a little water at a time by dipping the brush tips.

I could get what looked like a nice wet lather, but that was more sticky than slick, and which thinned out quickly. I tried a bit more water, and was able to get it slicker (though not as good as any of my other soaps), but that slicker lather evaporated in less than half a pass. Tried re loading and sticking with a thicker lather. Both sticky and disappearing. I went back and forth from soap to water, adding water, adding product, etc for the whole shave.

Bound and determined to finish at least one shave with this soap, I got to the point where I would lather an area about 4 brush knots in diameter, shave that area, the lather the next area...

So the whole point to this thread is not to whine about this soap, which, as I said could be a fine product, just not for me. Instead, i was wondering what soaps have you fine gentlemen tried that just didn’t ring your bell? Specifically, performance wise, something you couldn’t get a good lather out of, or wasn’t slick enough, etc.

I had that same experience with the Ogallala Bay Rum soap. It takes a specific way to load the soap or else, it fizzes and dissipates into thin air. Basically, I load with a wet brush and load for a long time. This gives me a working lather but it also burns my skin slightly. It seems like this soap is not for me. I've already used most of it for palm lathering so I'm glad to use it up. It smells great but doesn't work for me.

Mystic Waters. Could not get it to lather no matter what I did and I can lather everything I've tried to date including stuff like MWF which is known to cause issues for some people. Loved the smell though. Freshened the garbage can up quite nicely.

I want to like Murphy & McNeil's soaps, but I am finding them a bit too soft for my liking. Is anyone else running into this? I think that the post shave is excellent and performance is not that bad, I just can't seem to get it dialed in as easily as others, and I don't know if that is due to the softness of the soap, but was just curious if anyone was running into this with their offerings?

I want to like Murphy & McNeil's soaps, but I am finding them a bit too soft for my liking. Is anyone else running into this? I think that the post shave is excellent and performance is not that bad, I just can't seem to get it dialed in as easily as others, and I don't know if that is due to the softness of the soap, but was just curious if anyone was running into this with their offerings?
Wow, I had the exact opposite experience with M&M - supreme performance, and while they are almost cream soft, that just makes them easier to load. The lather sure as heck beats anything else I’ve tried.

Funny the way one product just doesn’t work for some people but really rings other people’s bell.

DR Harris.

Lathers great and has Tripled milled longetivity, but;
Expensive
Daft sticker/labelling
Poor packaging
Quite a poor quality bowl. Certainly the worst of the many i've purchased.
Arlington smells like a poor mans Arko.

Worst of all, it has the shavability of stale meringue. I would think you could do better shaving with a toilet block tbh.
Dreadful stuff.

Col Conk. In going on 10 years of wetshaving, it's the only soap (of 40 or more) that I ever tossed after only one use. I hated everything about it from scent to lather to performance.

MdC is another, but that's due to my preference for a drier, pasty lather and MdC needs more water and a wetter lather.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Pinaud. Ordered to push over the “free shipping” threshold therefore saving money. It has been months since I tried it and don’t remember exactly why it sucked but it did. I am not fussy about soaps in general but this one failed even my low standards.

I've tried Dr. Bronner's Organic Shaving Soap and no matter what I did, it wouldn't lather for me (I have very soft water, so lathering is usually no problem). I tried using it as a pre-shave and that was OK, except that if it wasn't completed washed off, it would turn sticky (contains grape juice). This is the one shaving product that I don't have much use for. That said, their Castile soaps are excellent.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Super-easy to lather, in my use ... anyways.

Williams and MWF: they work, but take much longer to whip up. I'm usually in a hurry, eh.

AA

I have shaved with everything from bars of bath soap, to traditional soaps and creams, to the latest artisan soaps. Although I have had difficulty lathering some hard pucks (Williams, MWF, Tabac), I eventually got a decent lather and completed my shave. I have tried some soaps that might have worked for me had they not caused severe irritation of my face like Ogalala bay rum which is high in clove. I have relegated some soaps like Olivina to the shower as they were better for bathing than for shaving.

The only soap I ever tried that I hated was Taconic Shave Urban Woods. I hated the scent; the lather was not slick enough and the lather provided little cushion/protection and the post-shave feel was poor. It was a fail on all counts. I tried giving it away at a meetup with some other shavers, but no one would take it off my hands. That is one soap that I will never use, not even in the shower.

Mystic Waters. Could not get it to lather no matter what I did and I can lather everything I've tried to date including stuff like MWF which is known to cause issues for some people. Loved the smell though. Freshened the garbage can up quite nicely.

Same experience here. Not sure how Mystic Waters can even be considered shaving soap.

Soap Commander. Average performing soap cursed by the worst scent I've ever smelled in a shaving soap ("Courage")

My personal updated list of the worst scent in a shaving soap:
1) Soap Commander Courage
2) Tabac
3) Silinski Soap Patchouli Blend

:18:

Soap Commander. Average performing soap cursed by the worst scent I've ever smelled in a shaving soap ("Courage")

My personal updated list of the worst scent in a shaving soap:
1) Soap Commander Courage
2) Tabac
3) Silinski Soap Patchouli Blend

:18:
Courage is their take on Terre d’Hermes right? I haven’t tried it but it’s interesting you disliked it soo much... have you tried any of the other TdH dupes from the various artisans?

Courage is their take on Terre d’Hermes right? I haven’t tried it but it’s interesting you disliked it soo much... have you tried any of the other TdH dupes from the various artisans?
I don't think Courage is their take on Terre d’Hermes. I have DG Trismegistus and I love it.

I'm not sure what the target scent was, but this was how I documented the aroma:

Complex, lime-zest, citrus/marine-like, sweet woody base-note. Infinitely sniffable! Very refreshing and mouthwatering somehow.

I have almost every Fine aftershave, love em! The soaps though. Well, they just leave a little bit to be desired -> for me.

Top Bottom