What's new

Soap with best slickness and post shave feel

FWIW, the PSF will greatly depend on one's skin type. Some people have a reaction to lanolin, so MWF and similar soaps won't work for them. Some are sensitive to lime or grapefruit, so for those guys a soap containing those essential oils might cause an irritation.

ETC, ETC...

There is no general rule for "great PSF", it's heavily YMMV, depending on your skin type.

As for slickness, this post might provide some guidance: RESIDUAL SLICKNESS: Top 10 soaps of all time? | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

This is as subjective as which razor is best? All we can speak to is 'best for me'.

Like many of us, I've tried too many soaps (tubes, sticks, creams) with little success. Then I tried
La Toja. It delivers richly cushioned and slick lather, the post-shave feel is comfortable (no post-shave
skin discomfort), and it rinses clean. I pay about $4 U.S. a stick plus shipping.

This is as subjective as which razor is best? All we can speak to is 'best for me'.

Like many of us, I've tried too many soaps (tubes, sticks, creams) with little success. Then I tried
La Toja. It delivers richly cushioned and slick lather, the post-shave feel is comfortable (no post-shave
skin discomfort), and it rinses clean. I pay about $4 U.S. a stick plus shipping.
Try the cream as well. Scent more smoky, but slick and dense lather.

I agree that the stick is good. Along with the Speick (tallow)

Try the cream as well. Scent more smoky, but slick and dense lather.

I agree that the stick is good. Along with the Speick (tallow)

I'll give the cream a try. Thanks for the tip. Efcharistó polý (I was stationed near Iraklion, Crete, back in the day).

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
There was guy here a few months ago who started a thread ranking the World's Top 100 Soaps for Residual Slickness (RS). There may be something in his research notes about Post Shave Feel (PSF). I could put up with a soap ranked in the 30s for RS if it were also in the top 10 for PSF.

Pre de Provence
Noted. Strong praise indeed.

I haven’t tried this one yet. I will have to remedy that tomorrow. Luckily I still have a sample tucked away from Shavedash waiting to be tested.

Attachments

• BA72CF5A-8F08-4D69-AAB5-E6353ED20248.jpeg
    BA72CF5A-8F08-4D69-AAB5-E6353ED20248.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Pannacrema Nuàvia Blu and Pereira (the black one with active-carbon).

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

You are absolutely spoiled for choice these days. You can get great slickness and post shave from any number of top tier products that are now available. Many have already been mentioned. After that is is down to your preferred scent, consistency, country of origin and price bracket. There’s no one silver bullet. There are many many products that fit the bill here.

I’m surprised the below have not yet been mentioned.

Aqua di Parma
Baume
Santa Maria Novella
Saponificio Varesino beta 4.3

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's best? I have no idea.

Numerous gentlemen have mentioned MWF. I used it for a good while, and tried it again several times. To me, it is painfully drying to my skin. I will never use MWF again.

VitosRed.Box.Sticker-on-End.Coco.5-1-20.480.JPG

5-29-21.TimelessOC95Ti.RV-D01.Vitos.640.JPG

Vitos.ExtraSuperCoco.SusanDarnell.640.2-17-20.JPG

I've purchased and used a great many soaps. The most expensive of them have been the ones I used once; I have boxes and stacks of 'em. What I use pretty much ever day now is one of the least expensive, readily available from Connaught in various sizes, and most user friendly soaps of them all, Vitos Red, the Cocco version, Vitos Extra Super Cocco.

Although I find Vitos Red very hard to beat there is one minor issue for me. I don't like the scent of marzipan, and Vitos Red has a tad of that scent, a trace caused by benzaldehyde. Luckily, that chemical scent dissipates; I leave a chunk of Vitos out in open air on a chest of drawers for weeks to accomplish the task before using the soap.

The scent of the yucky almonds (the benzaldehyde scent) goes away. Then, and only then, I use the soap. It's a putty consistency and is easily pancaked, etc.

The remaining scent is super faint coconut. Almost no scent.

Not saying others don't love the marzipan, but I'm not a fan. It's a very minor issue, but easily overcome.

There are plenty of good soaps. Some are very expensive, and some of the expensive soaps aren't as good as some of the very inexpensive soaps (ask me how I know this). Some stop up drains more readily than others. Some fall apart with adequate hydration or too close to the perfect hydration point making them tricky to use. Some have scents which are initially great but are not nose friendly over time.

Some are easier to live with than others. To me, a soap doesn't have to be a daily driver but it should have that capacity.

In terms of their shave much depends on learning the soap well enough, using enough water to achieve proper hydration, taking the time to build a great lather. Technique is important.

Sticking with one soap for a good while is the only way to learn it. Jumping around from soap to soap retards that process (ask me how I know).

That's just my two cents and opinion of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I was going to say tallow + steel but that’s probably not affordable. Therefore without a doubt I’d recommend

I was going to say tallow + steel but that’s probably not affordable. Therefore without a doubt I’d recommend

I love T&S but it's about $10/oz CDN as is GD, both are great lines but certainly not what most would consider an affordable product.

There was guy here a few months ago who started a thread ranking the World's Top 100 Soaps for Residual Slickness (RS). There may be something in his research notes about Post Shave Feel (PSF). I could put up with a soap ranked in the 30s for RS if it were also in the top 10 for PSF.

It could be the fact that i was born under the tropical sun, but i never understood this need for "residual slickness". I can repass from the same spot even with Proraso and against the grain too. It also could be because i use mild razor, i don't know... Of course, another solution, instead of worrying about such exotic characteristics, would be to simply relather. In this way even the cheapest of soaps can do the job just fine.

But then again, i couldn't make a ranking of any kind, because i forget how a soap was compared to another when i don't use them in the same period and i really don't see a need for some "miraculous" soap to lather. There are only a few products that were visibly lacking in either slickness or cushion that i can remember. And a couple were somewhat drying. And that's all... I am more interested about whether a soap is easy to lather or not. For the rest, almost anything is more than enough to shave. I even shaved with Palmolive hand soap for the sake of the forum and it was fine.

It could be the fact that i was born under the tropical sun, but i never understood this need for "residual slickness". I can repass from the same spot even with Proraso and against the grain too. It also could be because i use mild razor, i don't know... Of course, another solution, instead of worrying about such exotic characteristics, would be to simply relather. In this way even the cheapest of soaps can do the job just fine.

But then again, i couldn't make a ranking of any kind, because i forget how a soap was compared to another when i don't use them in the same period and i really don't see a need for some "miraculous" soap to lather. There are only a few products that were visibly lacking in either slickness or cushion that i can remember. And a couple were somewhat drying. And that's all... I am more interested about whether a soap is easy to lather or not. For the rest, almost anything is more than enough to shave. I even shaved with Palmolive hand soap for the sake of the forum and it was fine.

I guess it depends on how you shave and with what as well. I've noticed that when shaving with a straight then residual becomes more important, but if I'm using my Mamba 63 I don't really care much about it.

I guess it depends on how you shave and with what as well. I've noticed that when shaving with a straight then residual becomes more important, but if I'm using my Mamba 63 I don't really care much about it.

Ah, you are certainly right, sir. I didn't think of that. I only use 2 mild DE razors (well, i have a 3rd too, but it is even milder, so i almost never use it).

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

Don't pay attention to me when I post stuff like that, Hawkeye... the top 100 soaps ranked for residual slickness... really? I'm just having my fruit.

Top Bottom