What's new

Soaking your brush.

For a great lather try soaking your brush for at least 10 mins, 2-3min or a quick run under the tap just ain't enough.

Then follow Jim's great tutorial and load your brush for 40-60 sec for a 3 pass shave.

A good soak has really changed my lather n shaves for the better.

I agree totally, I was just about to write something similar! Today I forgot the brush soaked in the water for 20 minutes because I had to do something more urgent and that changed the lather a great deal.

Even though I read a thread on B&B a couple of weeks ago that said your typical boar brush takes 60 seconds (a little longer for badger) to fill with water, I soak all my boars before I get in the shower. I think it provides additional benefits in warming it up and softening the tips. To me not soaking my brush is like waking up in the morning and not showering... It just doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
This is especially true depending on how thick the brush is. The thicker it is, the more it can absorb. Not that you always need that much water for lather, but it does make the brush soften up and you can squeeze out what you don't need.

For a great lather try soaking your brush for at least 10 mins, 2-3min or a quick run under the tap just ain't enough.

Then follow Jim's great tutorial and load your brush for 40-60 sec for a 3 pass shave.

A good soak has really changed my lather n shaves for the better.

Are you talking about soaking badger or boar?

I've found that soaking a badger brush for 30 minutes or for 10 seconds, the brush is equally saturated.

ybmv (your badger may vary).

I've tried both, and I don't see any difference in soaking for an extended time, unless I'm looking to go for a hot scuttle shave...then the soaking really warms up the brush.

i fill the sink and swish the whole brush in the water about 30 secs then let sit in a cup of warm/hot water about a 1/4+ less then the handle whilst showering

I find a boar brush definitely needs a soak - I give mine about 20 minutes.

I've also been soaking my badger and horse brushes for a while, but recently I've just been wetting them in my shaving water instead - and it seems to be just as good.

As I shave after the shower it's more convenient to just put the brush in a bowl and soak during the shower than separately take the time to do it right before the shave.

I don't know that I notice a difference, but a soaking brush in the sink marks my territory - sending my wife to put her makeup on somewhere else!

Wile I do soak my brush while in the shower, I have wondered if it is as necessary since I am using synthetics. Any ideas?

Top Bottom