What's new

So with the SC overturning the NY concealed carry requirements

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is my main issue with “constitutional carry.” I understand the right to carry without a permit and support that. But, I worry about some yahoo that has put a total of 20 rounds down range in their life deciding that they are going to carry.
I was worried that my wording might be a problem. Glad you guys got what I was trying to say.

My intention was to "graduate" up to a 1911 platform after the State of Michigan "granted" me my right to carry (say what? Thought the US Constitution gave me THAT right!)

But all these years I have just been carrying revolting revolvers, and I think I will just stay with what I'm comfortable.

To @Quaznoid : I hope you don't have any other threats materialize since your first one seems to be gone. But I have never been 100% accurate in clairvoyance!

I just find it easier to assume that someone is out to ruin my day.

I carry a S&W 442 95% of the time, appendix, with 6 spare rounds on a speed strip. No worries about a malfunction or accidental discharge, and I don't even know I'm carrying it.

So you went through all the trouble of getting a CCW and carrying for just one week instead of simply moving? Interesting.
No, it means that in 64 years in this town only once did I feel the need to carry. I had the permit (so easy to get my wife’s cat could have gotten one). After the threat went away the gun went back in the nightstand. I live in a very safe community that I love and I certainly wouldn’t allow one ******* being a pain in my *** for a week to drive me away

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No, it means that in 64 years in this town only once did I feel the need to carry. I had the permit (so easy to get my wife’s cat could have gotten one). After the threat went away the gun went back in the nightstand. I live in a very safe community that I love and I certainly wouldn’t allow one ******* being a pain in my *** for a week to drive me away
Yet you are wondering why others don’t simply move for that very reason. The one time you might need to pull your weapon. It’s not that we live in a dangerous area. It’s the fact that one time in 64 years we might need it and have it if we do.

“If you need to walk around with a weapon just move somewhere else” is a completely foolish way of thinking. As you just demonstrated. You felt the need to carry, so you carried. Some of us just don’t wait for that 1 in 64 years chance something will happen. Regardless of where we live.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And you are blessed. AND the 2nd amendment gives you the right to not carry.

I used to be a business owner and refused to get a license because they were nearly unobtainable in Michigan back then. The right to self defense is/should be universal.

Yet you are wondering why others don’t simply move for that very reason. The one time you might need to pull your weapon. It’s not that we live in a dangerous area. It’s the fact that one time in 64 years we might need it and have it if we do.

“If you need to walk around with a weapon just move somewhere else” is a completely foolish way of thinking. As you just demonstrated. You felt the need to carry, so you carried. Some of us just don’t wait for that 1 in 64 years chance something will happen. Regardless of where we live.

But, you see, I do live in a place where I am not confronted daily with lethal threats. To carry here would be silly. Yes, I know that anything could happen but it almost certainly won’t. A man would be thought of as a paranoid to carry a gun here.

But I did carry for that one week when there was a palpable threat to me and my family. I had a carry permit already and I had the gun and it made some sense for that week. And when that was over the gun went back in the drawer and there it remains. A nice revolver that can lay in that drawer for 20 years and be counted on to go bang if I need it. And I hope I never do

I am as pro-gun as any man. I’ve done legal work for the NRA and represented gun owners with cases involving the state and federal governments. I have no issue with any man using a gun to the limit of his constitutional right to do so.

To say that I don’t feel the need to carry a gun here does not make me soft on guns or naive. I know my community, I know what to do and not do and where to go and not go. Is it possible that something bad could happen that would make lethal self defense necessary? Sure. Is it so likely that the bother and negative side effects of gun carry are reasonable? No.

I do not live in a community where the need for instantaneous lethal defensive fire is realistic, one incident in 64 years notwithstanding. If I did, I would leave.

Last edited by a moderator:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@Quaznoid

The one and only time you posted in the firearms forum other then this thread was a single post back in early 2020.

What sparked your interest and brought you back after all this time if I may ask? :)

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
There have several instances of guys assaulting older citizens from behind, gang of thugs assaulting and robbing people in the park, etc. In the end having a loaded gun is always more advantageous than unloaded. It’s just the responsibility of carrying loaded that weighs on my noob mind.

This might be too far removed from what you were really asking in the OP, but I figured I would talk about it just in case it's something you're not already aware of. Situational awareness, being observant of your surroundings, threat descalation, and knowing when to flee or when to fight is another crucial aspect of self-defense, and possibly more so when a firearm might be involved. Criminals are often opportunistic, and many of them can be good at recognizing people who are prone to victimization. Observing your surroundings, being aware of dark corners or overgrown plants/bushes, recognizing a potential threat from a group of unfavorable hoodlums, etc. are all things that can minimize your chance of either being a victim, or having the need to use your CCW in the first place. Being confident, walking with purpose, and recognizing those around you (and giving them hints that you are aware of them) are also good habits to get into. Almost always while passing someone, and especially if I'm walking at night, I will acknowledge the person with a, "How's it going?" or "Nice/cold/windy/etc. night, isn't it?" in a clear and loud (or at least loud enough for them to hear) voice. Quite often, the passer by doesn't respond, but I feel it let's them know that I'm aware of them, I'm of sound mind, and I'm confident enough in myself to engage with them.

Again, this might be all stuff that you're already perfectly aware of, but I (and plenty of the other Gents on here) would be happy to expound on these ideas if it's something that would be helpful.

Thank you, Toothpick, for fixing my post.

I had no special reason for posting today. I was bored, I cruised through the forum and noticed an OP I thought was interesting.

To some degree this forum reminds me of the Badger and Blade wet shaving forum I frequent There is an orthodoxy that one must adhere to or risk being ostracized. In the shaving world there is a dominant clique that spends thousands of dollars on very expensive shaving products who are intolerant of anyone who espouses a more modest approach to a simple hygienic function. Some folks here in the gun forum seem to be somewhat intolerant of anyone who doesn’t endorse daily concealed carry. Even though I am a zealous 2d Am advocate who has provided legal representation to numerous gun owners in courts and before administrative agencies my bona fides on the subject are questioned. Why?

Politics is the science of addition, not subtraction. To advance the cause of liberty in this country we need to embrace those who agree with us, even if their position is not identical to our own. Especially if it is not identical to our own.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Some folks here in the gun forum seem to be somewhat intolerant of anyone who doesn’t endorse daily concealed carry.
I truly apologize if I came off that way. That wasn’t my intent nor is it the way I feel. If you feel that your situation is one that you don’t need to carry daily that’s great, I wish I could feel the same way. My past experiences, however, have made me somewhat paranoid/skeptical of others. According to my wife I think that all people are basically bad and that only the “constraints of society” keep everyone from attacking each other. I laugh when she says that but sometimes wonder if she’s correct.

I truly apologize if I came off that way. That wasn’t my intent nor is it the way I feel. If you feel that your situation is one that you don’t need to carry daily that’s great, I wish I could feel the same way. My past experiences, however, have made me somewhat paranoid/skeptical of others. According to my wife I think that all people are basically bad and that only the “constraints of society” keep everyone from attacking each other. I laugh when she says that but sometimes wonder if she’s correct.
No apology necessary. I am fortunate to live in a community where concealed carry is not necessary. My only point was that if I lived somewhere where it was necessary, I would move. But that’s just me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Politics is the science of addition, not subtraction. To advance the cause of liberty in this country we need to embrace those who agree with us, even if their position is not identical to our own. Especially if it is not identical to our own.
Do you mind if I “steal” this?

Top Bottom