What's new

So with the SC overturning the NY concealed carry requirements

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hawaii is also relaxing their May Issue to Shall Issue as well.

I still don’t believe they will give out CC permits to us plebeians, but as a believer in exercising our constitutional rights I’m going to go through the expensive requirements and take a shot.

For me it’s a $250.00 classroom fee, $75.00 range qualification fee, 600.00+ for the P365XL pistol, 200.00 for a tier1 holster, 180.00 for red dot, and who knows how much for training ammo and range time.

Grand total $1400.00+ to join the CCW ranks. Freedom isn’t free lol.

So that being a necessary evil, any tips for a new CC license holder? I plan on training as much as possible, carrying in the highly controversial AIWB/unchambered/manual safety in the beginning, maybe chambered after getting some experience. I’ll try strongside as well to see what fits best.

I know carrying unchambered is frowned upon, but I just don’t trust my boob self yet, especially with the barrel pointed at the jewels and femoral artery.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Something that would concern me, is to start off unchambered with plans to potentially switch to one in the pipe. If you build that muscle memory and train to rack the slide when drawing, then it might become more of a challenge to break the habit if you decide to switch to chambered.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Something that would concern me, is to start off unchambered with plans to potentially switch to one in the pipe. If you build that muscle memory and train to rack the slide when drawing, then it might become more of a challenge to break the habit if you decide to switch to chambered.

I definitely need to think long and hard on that one.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The only state more restrictive with firearms over California and New York is Hawaii. While I wouldn’t deter someone living in these states from practicing their rights of concealed carry. It would seem imperative to me, living in these states; to make sure to obtain some CCW Insurance.

Because it’s almost a certainty, the DA’s in those locals, will attempt to prosecute the law abiding concealed carry citizen, the minute they have to legally defend themselves with it.

This is just facts. No politics intended.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Something else popped into my head that they might not teach you in a concealed carry class, but take your time reholstering. Just as you would want to move away any overgarments that may get in the way of you drawing your firearm, make sure nothing is in the way while you are reholstering. A piece of clothing getting inside the trigger guard could be disastrous. If the threat has ended and you no longer need your firearm, then there shouldn't be a need to quickly reholster.

OkieStubble

Hawaii is also relaxing their May Issue to Shall Issue as well.

I still don’t believe they will give out CC permits to us plebeians, but as a believer in exercising our constitutional rights I’m going to go through the expensive requirements and take a shot.

For me it’s a $250.00 classroom fee, $75.00 range qualification fee, 600.00+ for the P365XL pistol, 200.00 for a tier1 holster, 180.00 for red dot, and who knows how much for training ammo and range time.

Grand total $1400.00+ to join the CCW ranks. Freedom isn’t free lol.

So that being a necessary evil, any tips for a new CC license holder? I plan on training as much as possible, carrying in the highly controversial AIWB/unchambered/manual safety in the beginning, maybe chambered after getting some experience. I’ll try strongside as well to see what fits best.

I know carrying unchambered is frowned upon, but I just don’t trust my boob self yet, especially with the barrel pointed at the jewels and femoral artery.

You should buy a pack of the dummy rounds they sell. When around the house and not going anywhere, load a magazine full of those dummy rounds and carry it around the House chambered. Watch tv, take care of honey do’s around the house. Load/ unload chamber, holster, un holster holster again.

After several weeks doing this, count how many times you had an actual accidental discharge or misfire on the safe dummy rounds.

I can almost bet, you won’t have a single one. :)

OkieStubble

Something else popped into my head that they might not teach you in a concealed carry class, but take your time reholstering. Just as you would want to move away any overgarments that may get in the way of you drawing your firearm, make sure nothing is in the way while you are reholstering. A piece of clothing getting inside the trigger guard could be disastrous. If the threat has ended and you no longer need your firearm, then there shouldn't be a need to quickly reholster.

Great post.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have a concealed carry permit and am strongly pro-gun, HOWEVER, I wonder where or in what environment some of these cc fellows live to require instantaneous defensive gunfire? If I lived there, I would move somewhere else.

There have several instances of guys assaulting older citizens from behind, gang of thugs assaulting and robbing people in the park, etc. In the end having a loaded gun is always more advantageous than unloaded. It’s just the responsibility of carrying loaded that weighs on my noob mind.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You should buy a pack of the dummy rounds they sell. When around the house and not going anywhere, load a magazine full of those dummy rounds and carry it around the House chambered. Watch tv, take care of honey do’s around the house. Load/ unload chamber, holster, un holster holster again.

After several weeks doing this, count how many times you had an actual accidental discharge or misfire on the safe dummy rounds.

I can almost bet, you won’t have a single one. :)

What he said. I've never done Israeli carry. Been carrying a 1911 cocked and locked for decades.

That said...it's your choice on what you are comfortable with.

But...I find myself mostly carrying a DA revolver.

I know...I might as well be throwing rocks. They don't even have a red dot, co-witness iron sights, a threaded barrel, a rail for all types of attachments, or any type of high cap magazine.

I am DOOMED!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have a concealed carry permit and am strongly pro-gun, HOWEVER, I wonder where or in what environment some of these cc fellows live to require instantaneous defensive gunfire? If I lived there, I would move somewhere else.

It would be nice to be able to choose when and where we are attacked, but that is almost never the case. The more steps involved in getting your firearm ready to defend yourself, the more things can go wrong and the greater the chances are to get caught up or confused in an action. Plus, if you are injured and unable to rack the slide, or have blood, sweat, etc. on your hands, it might be difficult to perform the task. Granted, knowing how to rack the slide without both hands is invaluable, but it's also something that requires practice, clear-headedness, and quick thinking. With that being said, carrying a firearm in a way the carrier is not comfortable with is not good either.

I used to live in a place that was ranked a few different years as one of the best places to live in the country, and there have still been murders, break-ins, and robberies over the years. In this day and age, you just never know. Also, some people don't have the luxury to be able to move whenever and wherever they see fit.

Last edited:
The P365 MS is an extremely safe pistol if you do your part. Recommend lots of practice with an unloaded firearm. Learn it until it is second nature. What does the trigger look like cocked and uncocked striker? Will the safety allow the slide to operate in safe position? Will my weapon fire without a magazine? Does my weapon have a loaded chamber indicator, tactile or visual?

I recommend against carrying in condition three. If you do ever need it likely from lack of awareness. A lot to ask, racking the slide, sweeping the safety, alignment and fire. Before the perp caves your face in or stabs you. Something to think about.

I too am a caveman many days as @simon1 mentioned. J frame. Nothing fancy, just pull it and get busy surviving.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The only state more restrictive with firearms over California and New York is Hawaii. While I wouldn’t deter someone living in these states from practicing their rights of concealed carry. It would seem imperative to me, living in these states; to make sure to obtain some CCW Insurance.

Because it’s almost a certainty, the DA’s in those locals, will attempt to prosecute the law abiding concealed carry citizen, the minute they have to legally defend themselves with it.

This is just facts. No politics intended.
That insurance is smart, no matter where you live IMO

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Do you carry a firearm on you? Or in your car?

If yes - why?

I carried for about a week when a crazed ex-client was trying to kill me. When that threat passed, I never carried again

Top Bottom