What's new

So with the SC overturning the NY concealed carry requirements

It’s a little sad that local laws really deter people from wanting to help. Heck I’m not allowed to shoot an armed intruder in my house at 2:30am. I have to retreat from the danger. I can imagine what the court would do to me if I shot a mass shooter in the back. “Kento’s you were not in any danger from the shooter, why didn’t you just run instead of using deadly force?”

I'm in Michigan and have no legal obligation to flee an intruder in my home, but I still worry about a woke DA prosecuting a case of self defense. Then there is the civil liability, which has a lower threshold for determining negligence or guilt, especially when the perpetrator's family declares the dead family member had graduated from med school and recently applied for sainthood.

You never know what a jury will decide, though as the cliche goes: I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

(I cringed a little bit as I typed that last line, but it's still true.)

It’s a little sad that local laws really deter people from wanting to help. Heck I’m not allowed to shoot an armed intruder in my house at 2:30am. I have to retreat from the danger. I can imagine what the court would do to me if I shot a mass shooter in the back. “Kento’s you were not in any danger from the shooter, why didn’t you just run instead of using deadly force?”
Silly, you don't shoot them, you axe them a question...😜

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Tennessee is such a weird state. Too many outside influences - ie. People from other states moving here. Here in my town I highly doubt the DA would prosecute someone saving lives by taking down a mass shooter, or someone invading their home. In fact, I’ve spoken with sherif deputies that say I have every right in the world to defend myself with firearms.

But out in Nashville and surrounding….they probably would prosecute. Even though we are a stand your ground state. The people that way are different because most are from….other states.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@OkieStubble how many times do you think you drew your service weapon in your long career. Used it or not.
Absolutely no way of guesstimating that total number. I have gone months never needing to draw it and have drawn it 10 times a night for what seemed to be for days and days thru the course of my career. Just no way to count really.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Absolutely no way of guesstimating that total number. I have gone months never needing to draw it and have drawn it 10 times a night for what seemed to be for days and days thru the course of my career. Just no way to count really.
Thats really all I needed. As a cop you had to put yourself in dangerous situations, that was your job. Myself, I don't, I can run like hell to protect myself if need be. I can chose to stand my ground to protect myself or others. Bottom line it is a split decision and you may have less than a second to decide which you are going to do. @Kentos that is why I keep one in the pipe.

OkieStubble

This post is a testament, to why the union of our 50 states, makes this country what it is and hopefully, what it will always continue to be?

I’m grateful, that the individual state I was born and raised in, has always matched the beliefs, philosophies and lifestyle of the way my father raised his family and how I also raised mine.

My father was born and raised in Gary Indiana, but he spent his young adult life, getting married, living and working In Chicago Illinois. When he transplanted his young family and moved to Oklahoma, he simply followed other family members, uncles & aunts who were also looking for a place that matched their beliefs and ideas of a way of life that they believed in themselves and dreamed for their family members.

I was the youngest of my brothers and sisters and am blessed to have been born here. They have a saying around these parts,

“I’m Sooner born & Sooner bred; and when I die I’ll be Sooner dead. :)

I imagine the OP of this thread was born & raised In Hawaii? I imagine your ancestors were also? What a beautiful state Hawaii? I couldn’t imagine tearing yourself away from that beauty and your history and ancestry, for what I have here in my state. Just as I can’t imagine tearing myself away from the lifestyle and freedom choices I have here.

It’s not a beautiful tropical local for sure. But still beautiful in its own way. :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This post is a testament, to why the union of our 50 states, makes this country what it is and hopefully, what it will always continue to be?

I’m grateful, that the individual state I was born and raised in, has always matched the beliefs, philosophies and lifestyle of the way my father raised his family and how I also raised mine.

My father was born and raised in Gary Indiana, but he spent his young adult life, getting married, living and working In Chicago Illinois. When he transplanted his young family and moved to Oklahoma, he simply followed other family members, uncles & aunts who were also looking for a place that matched their beliefs and ideas of a way of life that they believed in themselves and dreamed for their family members.

I was the youngest of my brothers and sisters and am blessed to have been born here. They have a saying around these parts,

“I’m Sooner born & Sooner bred; and when I die I’ll be Sooner dead. :)

I imagine the OP of this thread was born & raised In Hawaii? I imagine your ancestors were also? What a beautiful state Hawaii? I couldn’t imagine tearing yourself away from that beauty and your history and ancestry, for what I have here in my state. Just as I can’t imagine tearing myself away from the lifestyle and freedom choices I have here.

It’s not a beautiful tropical local for sure. But still beautiful in its own way. :)
OK has some beautiful parts. I used to love to ride Motorcycle there. Talimena National Scenic Byway has some of the prettiest fall foliage of anywhere I have seen.

OkieStubble

Thats really all I needed. As a cop you had to put yourself in dangerous situations, that was your job. Myself, I don't, I can run like hell to protect myself if need be. I can chose to stand my ground to protect myself or others. Bottom line it is a split decision and you may have less than a second to decide which you are going to do. @Kentos that is why I keep one in the pipe.

Wow! Great post!

OkieStubble

OK has some beautiful parts. I used to love to ride Motorcycle there. Talimena National Scenic Byway has some of the prettiest fall foliage of anywhere I have seen.

I have spent a lot of time as a young boy, hunting in the woods of the Ouachita National Forest and Mountain range. It is very beautiful.

In Texas you would be put on a pedestal for saving lives regardless of whether you shot the mass shooter in the back or front.

Tennessee is such a weird state. Too many outside influences - ie. People from other states moving here. Here in my town I highly doubt the DA would prosecute someone saving lives by taking down a mass shooter, or someone invading their home. In fact, I’ve spoken with sherif deputies that say I have every right in the world to defend myself with firearms.

But out in Nashville and surrounding….they probably would prosecute. Even though we are a stand your ground state. The people that way are different because most are from….other states.

After living in NJ for 34 years, where just having an unloaded gun in the trunk of your car can get you years in prison, I'm thankful to live in FL now. However, wherever I am, if I am forced by the evil of another to draw my firearm, the situation will be as such that the legal consequences won't matter in that moment.

I am no hero, but feel the experiences I have had coupled with the training I have been fortunate to receive places a certain obligation on me.

That is great. I'm just a regular civilian with no LEO or even military experience. 🙂

Don't get me wrong, if I'm in line at a store or bank and a gunman threatens the cashier or another customer in line, I will (try to) act rather than run, but if I'm at a big-box or mall and hear distant gunfire...I'm out.

OkieStubble

That is great. I'm just a regular civilian with no LEO or even military experience. 🙂

Don't get me wrong, if I'm in line at a store or bank and a gunman threatens the cashier or another customer in line, I will (try to) act rather than run, but if I'm at a big-box or mall and hear distant gunfire...I'm out.

Good post. There isn’t a wrong or right way in how someone will respond to an active shooter, whether they are close or at distance. A self defense carry pistol is just that. Meant to be used for self defense. It’s not the burden of civilian carriers who decided to practice their constitutional right of self defense, to go save others, who freely chose NOT to practice that right for their own selves.

However, in saying this, there are many of those who it is ingrained into their DNA to swiftly act and run towards the gunfire, in order to possibly make a difference for those who should have; or at least could have, but didn’t have or use the wherewithal to defend themselves. Everyone who carries a firearm doesn’t have to apply this strategy or logic.

The body will never go where the mind has never been.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good post. There isn’t a wrong or right way in how someone will respond to an active shooter, whether they are close or at distance. A self defense carry pistol is just that. Meant to be used for self defense. It’s not the burden of civilian carriers who decided to practice their constitutional right of self defense, to go save others, who freely chose NOT to practice that right for their own selves.

However, in saying this, there are many of those who it is ingrained into their DNA to swiftly act and run towards the gunfire, in order to possibly make a difference for those who should have; or at least could have, but didn’t have or use the wherewithal to defend themselves. Everyone who carries a firearm doesn’t have to apply this strategy or logic.

The body will never go where the mind has never been.
There are medical professionals that push the crash cart and others that use it, but you don't know which you are until the call goes out.

Top Bottom