What's new

So I wanted some summer shave cream…..

Sterling Black Ice is kind of sneaky. Yo have to leave it on for a bit and it sneaks up on you. By my second and third pass its tingly. I love the black licorice smell.

1682429915103.png

For a long time now I've been 'making' my own summer shave soap by inserting one or two menthol crystals into my puck of Haslinger Sheep's Milk. You can see my original post about it here...

Haslinger soap - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/49-Haslinger-soap?p=8175184#post8175184

A little note - I'm still using the same 4oz bag of menthol crystals I got on Amazon back in 2016!

:sailor:
Very cool. I used to put a splash of Osage Rub on a puck to add menthol.

Have you ever made freeze drops by making a concentrated solution of menthol and alcohol? I have a bag of crystals and have always thought about it but I must be too lazy, lol.

Very cool. I used to put a splash of Osage Rub on a puck to add menthol.

Have you ever made freeze drops by making a concentrated solution of menthol and alcohol? I have a bag of crystals and have always thought about it but I must be too lazy, lol.
Oh now this sounds like fun!
I'm guessing a little denatured alcohol (91%) would do the trick?

Oh now this sounds like fun!
I'm guessing a little denatured alcohol (91%) would do the trick?

Boy, I believe it will. I think there are you tube videos if memory serves me right. I do remember that you can make them very concentrated.

Sterling Black Ice is kind of sneaky. Yo have to leave it on for a bit and it sneaks up on you. By my second and third pass its tingly. I love the black licorice smell.

View attachment 1644088
I see that Stirling just released the glacial line for this summer.

It’s all coming back to me now. The variety I had was the Obsidian. I think it is similar but with a lot of menthol. It was very refreshing!

I see that Stirling just released the glacial line for this summer.

It’s all coming back to me now. The variety I had was the Obsidian. I think it is similar but with a lot of menthol. It was very refreshing!
Stirling also used to make something called Frost Drops I think?
Not sure if they still do.

By far my favorite summer soap is Cannonball by Summer Break Soaps.
I love the scent and the cooling effect is super refreshing, without the typical menthol note. It beats all the other summer soaps in my shave den.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I love Ingram, though the UK variant seems to have disappeared. I still have several unopened tubes. I've never tried the Egyptian version, but those in the know say it is "colder" than the UK one. Palmindaya from Brazil is a fantastic mentholated cream with top notch performance. Said to have been created by Italian immigrant barbers in Brazil. It comes in a giant barrel, and is sometimes hard to find, but worth the search. There's also the "firm" Italian cream XXX Fresco by Razorock, the house brand of Ontario's Italian Barber. The scent of Acqua di Parma with a great chill. A very nice soap/cream.

Top Bottom