What's new

So how do YOU measure closeness of shave?

I have never graded a shave as a "10", knowing that a true, 100% BBS shave is impossible, at least for me.

My best would actually be a what I describe as DFS+:

Very close and comfortable with minor areas of (faint) stubble when feeling ATG in the areas that I know will be angry if I over-shave.

Even then, I'm still getting far closer shaves than I ever achieved using carts or electric.

I have never graded a shave as a "10", knowing that a true, 100% BBS shave is impossible, at least for me.

My best would actually be a what I describe as DFS+:

Very close and comfortable with minor areas of (faint) stubble when feeling ATG in the areas that I know will be angry if I over-shave.

Even then, I'm still getting far closer shaves than I ever achieved using carts or electric.
I think most of the “BBS” talk around here is likely just talk. There are some pros who probably do get 100% good shaves 100% of the time, but everyone but the absolute most experienced of us will have trouble from time to time with closeness and irritation. Couple that with jumping around to different gear constantly, and I would argue that shaving as a hobby is overall worse for your face than just shaving with carts until you get really good or you settle into a routine (which is to say you get really good, but with a limited array of gear).

There also isn’t an agreed-upon scale for closeness and comfort, so that doesn’t help. My “BBS” is probably different than yours, for example.

Like everything else related to shaving, it’s all just so subjective. Maybe too subjective at times.

I run my fingers ATG while my face is still wet/partially lathered and if I feel excessive stubble then I touch it up.

I expect to feel something, just not excessive stubble.

I run my fingers ATG while my face is still wet/partially lathered and if I feel excessive stubble then I touch it up.

I expect to feel something, just not excessive stubble.
I came here to say something like this. First let me say I’ve been using only vintage blades for years and since I started that I’ve been getting bbs results every time and weepers are practically nonexistent for me. I’ve been keeping a daily shave journal since I started wet shaving in 2011 and with vintage blades I go two, three months without any weepers or slightest sign of hemoglobin. But back to bbs. Don’t judge if you’ve attained it by what you feel when your face is wet. Wet whiskers swell, it’s part of what makes wet shaving wet shaving. Wait until your face is dry and then evaluate.

For me, first is to enjoy it and relax. It will normally be no irritation after the shave, smooth and as a lot of great members added... how long it lasts and needs to last.......
I pretty much know the results by now by the tool.

First place is my straights ( when I have time - rare lately), Second is a my Slants, Third place is my rotation crew of DEs ( non slants).
I do like a fun variety in my shaves, keeps me engaged. Also it is not usually for me to use two different razors....
One Starter - One Closer...

Now I am not out there looking for that golden magical full cnc'ed razor. Hell, I have a few favs of pot metal puppies.
Don't get me wrong, I am always open but pretty methodical for new choices.
I own and enjoy honing my skills and being constant, taking care of my face...and having some fun...

Again I go back to this in shaving, never focus on one dimension of the shave ..speed, passes, bbs, closeness...there are so many... don't box yourself in....
If anything, go for enjoyment, relaxment, little shave therapy and try to maintain some form of consistency that works for you.....
and it will come...

“The best investment is in the tools of one's own trade.” – Benjamin Franklin

BFX

2023-09-04_14-58-02.png

Top Bottom