What's new

So how do YOU measure closeness of shave?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Not sure where to put this question, but I'll go with Razor Blades...

I hear a lot of talk about "BBS" shaves, which I take to be "baby bottom smooth". I also read a lot about comparisons of closeness of a shave by razor, by blade, and by both.

But how, exactly, do you make that determination?

Me, I've simply been using my fingers, and indeed I *believe* that I can feel a difference on the long, flat parts of my jowls, but it would be much better to have way to more objectively measure this.

Has anyone come up with a way? What ways are B&Bers currently determining closeness of shave?

Thanks in advance.
You can take a credit card and drag the edge lightly across your face and hear how close the shave is. Personally, I just do two passes and don't give it another thought.

Agreed! If everything is a 9.9 or 10, either you are perfect or your rating scheme isn't helping you. I know I'm far from perfect!

I think 10 should be very rare, I've never gotten one. But I do get generally in the range of 7.5-9.5, and regularly hit 8-8.5.

For the longest time, I rubbed my fingertips against my cheeks and neck immediately at the finish (buffing needed?) and 1 hour after finishing the shave. Usually got a false sense of satisfaction, in hindsight, from gauging the shave to THE EASIEST portions to shave, flat surfaces.

Lately have been performing the "touch test" on chin and upper lip, my most challenging surfaces. No, I don't chase BBS nor do I get frustrated by subpar results.My findings are incorporated into experimental technique adjustments or blade/razor considerations for my next shave.

BTW, it is no coincidence that my chin and lip get only WTG and across-the-grain passes. All other areas get WTG and against-the-grain passes. Has anyone here mastered against-the-grain strokes for downward-growing coarse beard on upper lip and chin?

Part of my love for our hobby is the journey of learning and experimentation.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have installed a complex array of lasers and a custom head clamp. After shaving, I clamp my head in and push a button to activate laser measurements. To run their entire program, capturing every single follicle, only takes 7 seconds. I am saving up for the laser buffing tool. Then I woke up and realized I just rub my face like everyone else.

Has anyone here mastered against-the-grain strokes for downward-growing coarse beard on upper lip and chin?
It's very easy with a good electric razor, like an Arc 5!

With a DE I prefer something with modest blade exposure but very rigid blade clamping. My vintage Gillette adjustables (on #2 or 3) or Old Types are my go to razors for my top lip. Luckily, I don't find ATG on my chin to be particularly challenging.

I can also get a satisfactory BBS shave on my top lip with a more aggressive razor but shaving XTG. That might not be the case for every face, of course.

I thought the benchmark here was to get a baby's butt, then rub it while you rub your face to see if it feels the same. Mantic59 I remember would rub a cotton ball to his dry post shaved face to see if any cotton would hang on and remain. I personally go by feel and by how much stubble is visible the next day.

Has anyone here mastered against-the-grain strokes for downward-growing coarse beard on upper lip and chin?

Mastered? No. But I do it anyway. Very shallow angle, very light pressure, accept some mild irritation. Coarse, flat-to-the-skin hair will make the blade dive in easy, so don't be in a hurry.

when i first began wet shaving i used up a bunch of the gf's cotton pad things for make up removal or cotton balls now its just by finger during my shave

At 58, well 59 shortly, I haven't been able to get a BBS shave since I was in my 20's or 30's. I would define it as not being able to fell any remnants of whiskers with my fingertip or the backside of my fingers where the skin is a little more sensitive, it's the feeling of 400 grit sandpaper. I can achieve a CCS(close comfortable shave) for the most part if I don't get to carried away trying to chase that BBS. I have a few spots where it is almost impossible to get smooth without bad irritation, along my neck vertically around my Adam's apple where it is buried under my thick neck and just below my chin on each side. My shaves have improved in the last 7 years since I found DE shaving and quit chasing BBS the first year but I get way better shaves over my old twin disposable cartridges and Gillette Foam Sensitive skin. I used to use an electric shaver, both a Norelco rotary 3 head(would actually leave track on my skin) and a Remington foil shaver and could get true BBS but the bad thing is that it cuts so close on warmer days I would itch so bad for most part of a day after until it grew out so I had to stop using it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you have to know and your fingers are indicating a very close shave but not 100% sure just use the cotton ball test. Rub it in the trouble spots and if it snags a little cotton it is not BBS but DFS++ more than likely IMO. In time you will know it very close and your the only person who really cares. BBS might be over rated but it gives a person a challenge target if in the right frame of mind and everything is going right from software to hardware and technique is keen that morning shave!
You can cheat a little to get the BBS by using a balm and having a few glasses of water in the morning to rehydrate and about 1 hr later it will be slightly smoother has been my finding over the years!

I stay away from acronyms and number ratings. I just feel my face and compare it by memory to other recent shaves. If it's smooth, it was a good one. If there's a lot of stubble left behind, it was less good, and might warrant another pass.

I two pass it now. WTG and XTG. Lets me shave more often. Everyday instead of every other. Chasing BBS is not on my charts. Still faceturbate all morning though.

We are new grandparents for the first time a week ago Sunday. We’ve seen our new granddaughter 3 times, including the day she was born. It’s a 2.5 hour drive South for us but we didn’t expect to have grandchildren or I should say, we had given up on it.

I’m 70 and my wife is 69, so it was understandable. I say that to say this: after feeling how soft her skin is, I know I’ll never get a BBS shave. <eg>

This is beautiful writing!!!

Top Bottom