What's new

So how do YOU measure closeness of shave?

Not sure where to put this question, but I'll go with Razor Blades...

I hear a lot of talk about "BBS" shaves, which I take to be "baby bottom smooth". I also read a lot about comparisons of closeness of a shave by razor, by blade, and by both.

But how, exactly, do you make that determination?

Me, I've simply been using my fingers, and indeed I *believe* that I can feel a difference on the long, flat parts of my jowls, but it would be much better to have way to more objectively measure this.

Has anyone come up with a way? What ways are B&Bers currently determining closeness of shave?

Thanks in advance.

I got this scale from @T Bone and I have been using it to much more reliably rate my shaves. I use my fingers to check all the parts of my face.

10 = BBS: 100% smooth everywhere, even ATG​
9 = BBS-: smooth ATG 2/3 of area, XTG on the rest​
8 = smooth ATG 1/2 of area, XTG on the rest​
7 = DFS+: smooth ATG 1/3 of area, XTG on the rest​
5 = DFS: smooth XTG everywhere​

Using this, my ratings are much more consistent. BBS has to be smooth in all directions, even ATG. A baby's bottom isn't prickly in one direction is it? ;) If I don't take an ATG pass with the razor I can't get higher than 5, as it will not be smooth ATG. Of course ATG changes all over my face.

So far, in rating over 300 shaves, I have never given myself a 10. I've gotten a number of 9s and even some 9.x, but never a perfect 10. I'm a tough critic. I'm also not chasing a BBS. I could probably get it, but would likely have to take another ATG pass or lots more touchups. I try for an 8 to 8.5 and sometimes hit 9 and sometimes I don't make an 8. That works well for me.

I wish we had an official scale for B&B, so we could compare results reliably with each other, but this is all relative. Also a 10 isn't better than a very enjoyable 8, as a matter of fact, I prefer the enjoyable 8. We shouldn't fixate on the baby or oversell our results.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We are new grandparents for the first time a week ago Sunday. We’ve seen our new granddaughter 3 times, including the day she was born. It’s a 2.5 hour drive South for us but we didn’t expect to have grandchildren or I should say, we had given up on it.

I’m 70 and my wife is 69, so it was understandable. I say that to say this: after feeling how soft her skin is, I know I’ll never get a BBS shave. <eg>

My super non-scientific method:
Like most, I run my hands on my face after the after shave has dried. I can feel the differences in closeness between different razors/blades used. And then I do the same thing at different hours of the day. My major marker is 16-18 hours because I shave at night. I like seeing how my stubble is doing by the time I'm done at work.
If it's relatively smooth by the time my workday ends, the razor did a great job!

I got this scale from @T Bone and I have been using it to much more reliably rate my shaves. I use my fingers to check all the parts of my face.

Using this, my ratings are much more consistent. BBS has to be smooth in all directions, even ATG. A baby's bottom isn't prickly in one direction is it? ;) If I don't take an ATG pass with the razor I can't get higher than 5, as it will not be smooth ATG. Of course ATG changes all over my face.

So far, in rating over 300 shaves, I have never given myself a 10. I've gotten a number of 9s and even some 9.x, but never a perfect 10. I'm a tough critic. I'm also not chasing a BBS. I could probably get it, but would likely have to take another ATG pass or lots more touchups. I try for an 8 to 8.5 and sometimes hit 9 and sometimes I don't make an 8. That works well for me.

I wish we had an official scale for B&B, so we could compare results reliably with each other, but this is all relative. Also a 10 isn't better than a very enjoyable 8, as a matter of fact, I prefer the enjoyable 8. We shouldn't fixate on the baby or oversell our results.
Will reread this tomorow after I get some sleep. It seems logical.
Seems to correspond to the DFS, +, ++, or +++ I have been using.
BBS is something I never expect to feel.
Jay

I gently run my fingers up and down my face. Generally, I always go for 3 passes. My whiskers are like wire, very thick and prickly, so I never go with just a couple of passes because my wife still feels the whiskers and I'm also annoyed if I feel them under my fingers. I mean, why shave if you're going to leave stuff on your face, so I always go as near to BBS as possible.

I incorporate a visual evaluation in addition to the tactile. Portions of my face and neck have hair that grows flat or nearly flat against the surface of my skin. It's common for a patch to feel perfectly smooth in all directions but still have visible whiskers. And that's despite seriously coarse hair.

But how, exactly, do you make that determination?

Me, I've simply been using my fingers, and indeed I *believe* that I can feel a difference on the long, flat parts of my jowls, but it would be much better to have way to more objectively measure this.
I'll rate a shave 10/10 if I'm completely happy with it. It doesn't have to be BBS for that, so long as it's as close as I'd hoped for with no blood or other drama. Anything less than a 10 is a slight disappointment for some reason. Less than 9 is a bad shave, sometimes the result of carelessness or, more often these days, an ill-advised experiment going badly.

BBS to me simply means there's no stubble left that I can feel.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What ways are B&Bers currently determining closeness of shave?

Fingertips and the skin of my face and neck.

If I only feel stubble in a few places and I don’t feel tempted to pluck the remaining whiskers instead of waiting until the next shave, it’s close enough.

If the aftershave stings or hits me like a naughty karate chop, it’s too close. My aftershaves are Icy Blue Aqua Velva and grain alcohol with dissolved menthol crystals.

Love this setup. I was making 10 anything BBS, 9 anything nearly so. Both got some forgiveness on the trickiest parts of my neck ATG, but that has to be minor. 8 was what I was calling DFS+, particularly if it was nearly a 9. Then on down from there. That's why most of my shaves have been 7-8 lately. I think I'll standardize on this or something very similar.

Top Bottom