What's new

Snow Boots

I need a new pair of snow boots. I walk my dog every evening for about 4 miles, and I never miss one of these in the winter as she loves being outside in the snow. I've worn an old pair of construction boots in the past, but they are destroying me feet, I just can't walk that fair in them.

Any recommendations on a comfortable pair of boots that I can walk several miles in the snow (on a snow covered path) and will keep my feet warm?

Thanks so much,

Sorels, L. L. Bean's Maine Hunting Boots, G. I. Surplus Mukluks; I have used all these while stationed in Montana and they performed well. I would avoid the insulated & all rubber models except in extreme cold (they can cause your feet to perspire) and wear wool socks (2 pair if you think they are needed).

Sorels, L. L. Bean's Maine Hunting Boots, G. I. Surplus Mukluks; I have used all these while stationed in Montana and they performed well. I would avoid the insulated & all rubber models except in extreme cold (they can cause your feet to perspire) and wear wool socks (2 pair if you think they are needed).

I've been wearing these for years. They will certainly do the trick...

I was also going to suggest good old fashion PF Flyer High Tops......:lol:

I also need some new snow boots. We just got 20 inches of snow in Wisconsin over the last few days. Been shoveling in an old pair of Nike Shox. Not really cutting it...and leads to the dreaded wet sock. Ill check out the Sorels.

If you're not walking in especially deep snow, I swear by my Mephisto Gore-Tex lined ankle boots. They are warm, water-proof, durable and very comfortable. However, they are pricey and do need to be taken care of as any leather boot.

Another option is a good pair of Sorels or some of the lined rubber boots with a proper sole and steel shank - I have a pair of these and they are great as well, but they are a bit goofy looking.

Danner is another great brand (they also make a Gore-Tex lined boot if that's something you want).

Outdoor/Hunting stores are great places to look as is the Cabela's website.

If you want leather boots, good, comfortable ones will cost you some money, but they will last (if taken care of) and be much kinder to your feet than work boots.

I like my L.L. Beans, but it's best if you can try them on first--I've had some frustrating back-and-forth mail-fests with them trying to find footwear that fits. They were really nice about it and all, but in my experience their footwear sizing/fit isn't consistent enough from item to item for efficient and pain-free mail-ordering.

If you can hit a store, however, go for it.

For extreme cold trekking in the snow you need a pack boot like Cabelas Trans-Alaska Pacboothttp://www.cabelas.com/p-0006182.shtml with a removable felt liner. The felt wicks moisture and will need to be removed to dry out. Wool socks are absolute best as they also keep your feet dry by wicking away moisture from the foot and if they do get wet they will still retain warmth even when wet. Pack boots arent very breathable so you need lots of wicking layers. Two pairs of wool socks plus the liner should do it. So buy them a little big!

Good Mukluks like Steger's Arctic Mukluks http://shop.mukluks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AR-R&title=Arctic%20with%20Ribbon%20Mukluks are extremely breathable so you wont need as many wicking layers but they arent waterproof and therefore they are not for wet snow. They are however excellent for dry snow. They are light and flexible where the pack boots are more rigid and heavy. A flexible sole will greatly increase bloodflow in the feet.

Personally, I would go with the Mukluks if I was going to be moving on foot in cold dry snow. For standing or sitting around and/or for wet snow I would go with the pack boots.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Sorell boots and they are very comfortable and warm. The only thing I don't like about them is that they're too little big and clunky to wear to the office on snowy days.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It really depends on how much snow - I use the NB 977's on streets & sidewalks all winter (smartwool socks) in up to ankle high snow, then to the Cabela Hunting boots. Wore the 977's today at Wind Chill -5 F, but not much snow here

I bought a pair of higher end Wolverine 6" work boots that had DuraShocks inserts while living in Minnesota to deal with the snow and temperature. They are super comfortable. I have never had a problem walking long distances or keeping them on all day. My feet stay warm. I'm not sure of the quality of their lower priced boots, but mine were priced at the upper end of their spectrum (say $150 or so).

Top Bottom