What's new

Smoothest blade

Out of SP Astra, Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow and Green, Persona Platinum Chrome, Vokshod, Kai and Gillette GSB which would be the smoothest blade...
In my opinion, for the smoothest blade, pick one: Astra SP, Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow and Green, Persona Platinum Chrome, Gillette GSB. I don't have recent experience with the other two.
...I do a two pass shave with a Merkur 34 and I hate weepers, I tried Feather and way to sharp for me, my neck is a tiny bit sensitive.
I hate to say it again but, apart from the extremes (see Feather experience), the blade choice is not causing you any weepers. Especially in a Merkur34. Poor technique and/or lousy lather will make anyone see red.
Just my opinion.

I vote for Lord platinum.

Generally speaking, I think that blade sharpness is not a cause of weepers. The first possible cause is using too much pressure. Second possible reason is that the blade is actually not sharp enough and is pulling the hair and scraping the skin. And speaking of scraping, be sure to use the right angle. Try to ride the cap a bit more so the blade glides along the skin instead of scraping along it.

And of course, there are always badly made blades with a messed up edge that will cause weepers, but those are an outlier. I still have nightmares about a Ladas blade that did that to me.

In my opinion, for the smoothest blade, pick one: Astra SP, Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow and Green, Persona Platinum Chrome, Gillette GSB. I don't have recent experience with the other two.

I hate to say it again but, apart from the extremes (see Feather experience), the blade choice is not causing you any weepers. Especially in a Merkur34. Poor technique and/or lousy lather will make anyone see red.
Just my opinion.
I recently tried a KCG in my AS-D2. Doesn’t cut as close as my regular use Gillette Platinum Plus and also quite a bit harsher. If I attempt 3 passes with the KCG I get weepers around sensitive areas like chin and throat. So I think blade matters. With the GPP even if I do a 3rd pass I don’t have a problem.

this is a question only you can answer. blades are cheap, it is easy to test them. at RBC you can create your own sample pack, you don't even need to get a tuck of each.
Lately I have rediscovered Bic CPs, those are the sharpest blades out there, yet I find them smoother than mid-sharp blades.
Thank you. I didn't know about that site.

It always depends on the combination of razor and blade, i usually tend to the mild range. My preferred blade in my Gillette Tech is a Voskhod for everyday shaves and Mühle in Merkur 41c for a few days of growth.

It always depends on the combination of razor and blade, i usually tend to the mild range. My preferred blade in my Gillette Tech is a Voskhod for everyday shaves and Mühle in Merkur 41c for a few days of growth.
Is there is difference between the muhle and merkur blades?

For my taste the muhle are medium sharp, but very smooth, no tugging etc. The merkur, apart from being more expensive in my part of the world, feel as sharp as the muhle but a bit rougher.
Thanks. I’ve only tried Merkur and didn’t think much of them.

Lord Platinum are the smoothest feeling blade that I’ve tried, and my current favorite. Great balance of smooth + sharp.

I like Astra SP (and those were my only blades for years). After trying Astra SS (blue), I like the SS even more than the SP. They seem sharper to me, but very smooth.

Personna Comfort Coated (lab blue) are sharp, but still smooth for me; though they do get sharper on shave 3.

For point of reference, I hate Nacets. They burn my face like acid.

Out of SP Astra, Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow and Green, Persona Platinum Chrome, Vokshod, Kai and Gillette GSB which would be the smoothest blade. I do a two pass shave with a Merkur 34 and I hate weepers, I tried Feather and way to sharp for me, my neck is a tiny bit sensitive.
Out of the ones I've tried, my ranking is
1 GSB
2 Personna Platinum or SP Astra
3 Kai
4 Vokshod

I have some 7 o'clock greens, but haven't gotten around to them yet.

Finally got my Bics in the mail yesterday and tried it today. Really enjoyed the shave and rate it higher in terms of smoothness than King C Gillette. A big bonus is that it doesn't have any glue spots so the razor head doesn't get sticky over time.

And... At a fraction of the price of the K.C.G.

These were my comments after shaving with the BIC CP for week #19 on May 7th.

"It's easy to think, that a blade this sharp couldn't really be all that smooth, but it is!"

"Got an exceptionally smooth and close shave with the Lord L6 (a $6 razor) and the BIC CP. So smooth, it was almost like shaving without a blade."

That is pretty amazing for a blade this sharp, and nowhere near as expensive as the K.C.G. and the Feather.

I'm a fan of the Astra SP. Still have some left from a purchase 10 years ago! Recently picked up a few packs of Gillette Platinum and had my first shave with them this morning. Smooth is probably a bit of a nebulous term since it may mean different things to different people. I found the Gillette Platinum "smoother" than the Astra SP, but afterward got a better shave with less irritation with the Astra SP, and this is using the same razor with the same settings.

I'm a fan of the Astra SP. Still have some left from a purchase 10 years ago! Recently picked up a few packs of Gillette Platinum and had my first shave with them this morning. Smooth is probably a bit of a nebulous term since it may mean different things to different people. I found the Gillette Platinum "smoother" than the Astra SP, but afterward got a better shave with less irritation with the Astra SP, and this is using the same razor with the same settings.
Which Gillette platinum? One is navy blue and white, other is royal blue.

Top Bottom