What's new

Smoothest blade

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For me the Gillette Green are very smooth - and not sharp enough. But you don't shave my face with my razor/water or technique, so I don't know what that might mean for you. Some blades get smoother as the days go by, some go the other way.

I like smooth, but it also needs to get the job done. Fortunately, a pack of blades is cheap. Keep sampling and you'll end up in your happy place.

My vote is the GSB. Not only out of the ones you've mentioned but just in general.

It is the smoothest blade I've used that also wasn't intolerably dull at the same time.

As others have said, it can be helpful as a rough guide to solicit opinions. Nothing at all wrong with that. However, ultimately you'll be the final judge.

Blade sample packs are awesome and I still get them every so often even though I've been wet-shaving for a long time.

The Kai too aggressive for me and the Vokhod were not that smooth so slowly narrowing my search. I have been using the Merkur 34 for years and I have a Rockwell 6c that I hardly ever touch.I guess because I find the Merkur easier to maneuver, perhaps I should give it another go, thanks all for your input on the blades and I know everyone ones beard and face are different.

One of my razors is a 34c. I shaved with it yesterday. It is perhaps the mildest of my razors. I find that I do have to put more effort into it than with my R89/DE89 type heads.

All around, I consider the GSB a top contender. Not as sharp as the Feather, but very few blades are or need to be.

I find the GSB to be very similar in feel and shave quality to the Personna Lab Blue (Comfort Coated).

The Voskhod used to be like a "value menu" version of the GSB's but they have gone up a bit higher in price (14.99) and you are better off with the GSB. The Voskhod's used to be under $10.

The Astor SP work fine for me and are a good value at $8.50/hundred (on Amazon).

The Gillette Platinum's are $9.94 on Amazon. That is a excellent price for these. They are similar to the GSB. The GSB might be a touch smoother but they are $18.49/hundred. Making them a very good deal in comparison.

Most blades are sharp enough for me. I can get a week out of most blades. So, I'm really looking more for how smooth a blade shaves, while still shaving close.

From the blades you mentioned, to me it’s GSB. For my face GSB, Feather and Nacet are class all on their own.

But I do enjoy the Shark Platinums, Astra Green, and Persona PC. I use these milder blades if I get carried away on my neck and start to get some razor burn. I swap to a milder razor/blade combo for 2-3 days. Then go back to the big guns.

I'm not a GSB fan. It just doesn't work for me.
However, my "smoothies" are ...
Astra SP
Gillette Platinum
Gillette Perma-Sharp
Derby Extra
Shark Super Stainless

There are so many choices, so many great blades and everybody's face is different, as well as a wide variety of razors. But it's a fun journey.

I tried Feather and way to sharp for me, my neck is a tiny bit sensitive.

The problem with Feather is not just because they are sharp. Think of it like when you over sharpen a pencil. The point becomes too thin and needs to wear down to effectively write with it. Imagine the edge of the Feather blade like that.

Most people do not require a blade as sharp as the Feather. I believe that you will find that these other blades that have been mentioned are more than sufficiently sharp.

But, in addition, they are smooth. The 34c is not at all an agressive razor, you should do fine with most of the blades that have been recommended.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m sitting here, thinking about this, wondering what impact the razor’s way of bending and supporting the blade has on smoothness. In addition, how much the angle we choose affects the shave as well.

Since I just copied the blades B&B-ers use the most, I get smooth, comfortable yet close shaves more than most of the time. Some of you have been doing this wet shaving thing for years: me? Just a few months.

Forgot to mention that I go 2 weeks with the same blade, not sure if I’m frugal or just dam cheap but from what I’ve read most of guys go a lot less, thinking of changing to every week.
I change it when it does not shave perfectly anymore (i.e. at 90% of its prime, if you want to put a number on it). If it starts pulling, giving you weepers or just isn't smooth anymore, toss it. No need to lengthen the life of a $0.2 item.
For me it is 3 shaves on average.

Forgot to mention that I go 2 weeks with the same blade, not sure if I’m frugal or just dam cheap but from what I’ve read most of guys go a lot less, thinking of changing to every week.

The average seems to be every 4-6 shaves. If you get more, that's fine too.

One thing that I will pass along. When I got back into DE shaving, after many years, I discovered the hard way that blades had changed.

A couple of weeks used to be typical for a blade, when shaving daily. Newer blades are typically thinner, sharper and have improved coatings.

The downside is that they do not last as long. Older blades, just became dull and pulled.

Modern blades have a tendency to become damaged before they become too dull to shave with. They develop micro-chipping along the edge, due to flexing.

This leads to edge damage. The blade can still be sharp but the shave is no longer smooth. This is what causes weepers and razor burn.

If the blade is not cutting as well, it is natural to apply more pressure of the head against your face. This never ends well.

If you have been getting by with changing your blade every two weeks, you might try changing it out weekly and see how that works for you? That is the schedule I have adopted since the beginning of this year.

Just in terms of smoothness my vote goes to the Gillette super platinum (black ninjas) from India. They are more on the pricier side but deliver exceptionally smooth shaves.

While I am quite fond of the GSB and the Lab Blue, I have to say that the Black has a smoothness that somehow, is a cut above the others. Fortunately, I have a few on hand.

Decided to try a Kai blade today and was pleasantly surprised, did a two pass shave and it was a bit rough the first pass as my beard was 2 days old but at the end I was able to get a BBS shave, but I was aware of the blade so was very careful. Tomorrow I will try the blade in a Rockwell 6c setting number 2 as my history with this razor is not as good as everyone else, I always get weepers under my chin and not crazy about the head size for under the nose. On another note ordered the Gamechanger .68 as from what I read might be more efficient than the 34c.

Decided to try a Kai blade today and was pleasantly surprised, did a two pass shave and it was a bit rough the first pass as my beard was 2 days old but at the end I was able to get a BBS shave, but I was aware of the blade so was very careful. Tomorrow I will try the blade in a Rockwell 6c setting number 2 as my history with this razor is not as good as everyone else, I always get weepers under my chin and not crazy about the head size for under the nose. On another note ordered the Gamechanger .68 as from what I read might be more efficient than the 34c.
Received the GC .68 yesterday and shaved with a Kai blade this morning and got an excellent 2 pass shave. Have used the Kai blade in my Merkur 34c Rockwell plate 3 and the GC .68, it worked perfectly in all 3 razors, will try it in the Rockwell plate 4 tomorrow, now wondering if I should pick up GC head .84, going forward the GC will be my daily driver for now.

If one i have learned in the short time DE shaving

Do not listen to anybody when it comes to razor blades

Ask 100 shavers get 100 different blades

Buy a sample pack and judge for yourself - only way to learn

And have fun

Top Bottom