What's new

Smoked Steaks

What color of smoke is the best for long smoke times?

What color of smoke is the best for short smoke times?

"Blue" smoke or no visible smoke is what I try for. From my experience, when I have the right ballance of fuel/heat/oxygen and an ideal smoke for cooking the smoke out the chimney is blue. A cool fire or when building up before cooking my smoke is gererally white. As the fire gets hot and the oxygen/air vent is open the smoke dissipates and is not visible. If I close the vents on a hot fire with a lot of coals/wood (fuel) the smoke goes from blue or none to black/gray/greenish and the taste gets acrid and funky. I keep the chimney wide open, ballance the fuel and intake vents to maintain the desired temp, with minimal fuel and air intake. I work to get a small fire and build up so I have the right amount of fuel, air, and heat. When that happens the smoke out the stack is blueish, i then add fuel as needed to maintain temp. When grilling (high heat/short cook time) this is easy, for longer, (low-slow cooking) it requires more effort. Indirect heat, a separate grill to have hot coals on to add to the cooker, small fire etc. Fun stuff, enjoy!

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is it a shootgun wedding?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaron, since you are going to be in the area why don't you slip across the river and see if Victoria's restaurant in Nuevo Laredo is still open. It was a nice place last time I was there.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaron, since you are going to be in the area why don't you slip across the river and see if Victoria's restaurant in Nuevo Laredo is still open. It was a nice place last time I was there.
Area? Cuero is 4 hours from Nuevo Laredo.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I discovered them when the DFW airport closed for ice and I was stuck at a hotel up there.
Yeah, they came to this area a few years ago. I learned of them when passing through Stephenville (their first location) on the way to Fredericksburg, TX.

Top Bottom