What's new

Smoked Steaks

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
With all this smoked BBQ competition over the weekend, I look back now and should have brought a few steaks for smoking. I've never really cooked it that way before. Usually I'll just throw it on a very hot grill for a few minutes on each side then serve. What about smoking a ribeye like a brisket or ribs? Has anyone tried this? It should be pretty easy. I'm thinking 45 minutes smoked (or until internal temp is say 135-140) then seared on direct heat to finish for medium rare to medium.

I've never smoked an iindividual steak before; however, I have smoked a whole ribeye. Slowed smoked a slab of ribeyes for about six hours (if I remember corectly...it's been awhile). Used some pecan wood and it gave it a real nice smokey and tangy flavor. That was some good steak. If you figure out how to do some smaller ones let us know. I would definitely be interested.

Don

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've smoked steaks, and they are good that way. Keep in mind that the high-heat searing will still cook the steak (unless you really let it rest and cool after taking off the pit), so account for that.

Smoking a full roast also is amazing. Like Don mentioned, I've smoked rib roasts a number of times with fantastic results.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There's a steak house here in Austin that makes a really nice smoked sirloin. I get it every time I go. The name of the restaurant is Land & Cattle Company. Anyway, I get that the searing will continue to cook the steak, so it needs to be a timing thing.

Last edited:
I have been doing my steaks and chops on my Traeger doing a reverse sear. Smoke for 30-45 minutes, then take the steaks off, turn up the heat and throw them back on and sear to desired doneness. Friday night I stuck them into an unused grill for 45 minutes with the tube smoker while I preheated the other grill, this worked even better. They turn out excellent, and the flavor is amazing.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ya'll have convinced me. I think I'll try it out on a cheaper prime sirloin cut first then move up to a ribeye. I've got a pretty big grill that I can heat on one side with wood or charcoal and put steaks down on the other side for indirect heat. Then when finished smoking move to direct heat for searing. I love it when a plan comes together.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sound like a solid plan Aaron, what time do want us to come on over?

If you told me you were on a plane to my house I'd welcome you with a Stetson cowboy hat, a nice pair of steel toed boots and a smoked cowboy cut bone-in ribeye steak(smoked of course), not to mention a nice bowl of red.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If you told me you were on a plane to my house I'd welcome you with a Stetson cowboy hat, a nice pair of steel toed boots and a smoked cowboy cut bone-in ribeye steak(smoked of course), not to mention a nice bowl of red.
ahhh suited and booted. I think some FD Smokey hot sauce would also be in order.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A bottle of FD in each hand might mean clean sheets in the guest room bed.

Ah, and bring some lamb chops will ya.
lamb chops on the BBQ ....now ya talking. The Beef I think would be very nice smoked but the lamb I would just cook it direct over the coals.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Smoked T-bone. I used mesquite. My brother gave me a thin cut t-bone. I smoked it for 30 minutes then threw it on the flames for a little char. Sorry there is a chunk that got...well, it got eaten. The cook had a little taste. Absolutely fab. Give a try you will not go back to just grilled.

$image.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, this steak was super. I didn't do anything really. The thin cut worried me some because I didn't want to overcook. I kept it far from flame and my pit never really topped 150. Then moved directly over the briquettes topped with mesquite chunks. Now that it was such a tasty success I plan on moving up to a ribeye.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nom nom nom nom nom.

I did the smoke using the indirect thing on a grill, then moving them over to the direct side for a sear on some chicken awhile back. Never thought about steak. I know what my next grilling session is going to be.

I have been doing my steaks and chops on my Traeger doing a reverse sear. Smoke for 30-45 minutes, then take the steaks off, turn up the heat and throw them back on and sear to desired doneness. Friday night I stuck them into an unused grill for 45 minutes with the tube smoker while I preheated the other grill, this worked even better. They turn out excellent, and the flavor is amazing.

#100 to this. IMHO, and 20+ years of smoking meats, standard style smoking of steaks makes a good steak into a great chuck roast. (Flavor wise). Osborn has this right: flavor the meat, then hot sear it to your preference. Again YMMV, and IMHO, don't smoke a great cut, when all you are going to do is make GREAT smoked beef have the taste and texture of smoked beef.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, this steak was super. I didn't do anything really. The thin cut worried me some because I didn't want to overcook. I kept it far from flame and my pit never really topped 150. Then moved directly over the briquettes topped with mesquite chunks. Now that it was such a tasty success I plan on moving up to a ribeye.
Stepping up to a Ribeye sounds like a solid plan just don't tell me it will be thin...............

Top Bottom