What's new

Small Cheap yixing....

sorry to hijack the thread but why exactly are yixing pots so little? and do you pour already hot water into them with the tea?

Not all yixings are little, some of them make multiple cups at a time. The small size is so that one can create an intense extraction for a single cup. And yes, you heat up the water in a kettle before pouring it into the yixing.

Not all yixings are little, some of them make multiple cups at a time. The small size is so that one can create an intense extraction for a single cup. And yes, you heat up the water in a kettle before pouring it into the yixing.
And you heat up the yixing with boiled water (which you then discard into your drinking vessel(s)) before you add the tea to which you add still more boiled water. Quite simple, really.

Thanks for the help everybody!

I bought this pot and so far everything seems great. The top fits nicely, it pours evenly and the walls are thick (I think) the only thing I noticed is when I first got it and washed it out there was a little bit of loose clay on the inside, when I wiped it out with a wet paper towel it was picking up a little brown clay. I cleaned it a few times and it seemed to stop doing that. Is that normal? or only because the pot is cheap? or the third option, should this not be happening at all?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=380081672624

I first got it and washed it out there was a little bit of loose clay on the inside, when I wiped it out with a wet paper towel it was picking up a little brown clay. I cleaned it a few times and it seemed to stop doing that. Is that normal?

If it was clay, its probably normal. If its shoe polish, or worse, its probably because its cheap. With these pots its a good idea to place a towle in the bottom of a pot, put water, and your tea pot in it then boil it for a while. This opens the porous clay and cleans the funk out of it.

If it was clay, its probably normal. If its shoe polish, or worse, its probably because its cheap. With these pots its a good idea to place a towle in the bottom of a pot, put water, and your tea pot in it then boil it for a while. This opens the porous clay and cleans the funk out of it.

It was definitely just brown clay on the inside, nothing worse. Would I have to clean my pot out like that every time I made tea in it? or just the first time?

First time. Some people also season there pot with the tea thats going to be used. To do this you use dobble the amount of tea and let it set for awhile. Then repete. I don't think its needed. You should be good to go. Enjoy your pot. No pun intended:cool:

Yunnan Sourcing, LLC., has a nice selection of reasonably priced teapots.

I bought a few from him - and several other sources, and the cheap yixings are just that, cheap. They're not all that impressive, and the more expensive ones are well worth the extra cost.... unfortunately.

I discovered this shop's web site just yesterday, and purchased this 100ml yixing directly from the owner today while I was on break from manning a booth at a festival.

The whole page of Yixing selections is here.

JP
I am in search of a yixing pot and was wondering how the pot you bought from this website was.

Thanks,

I bought a few from him - and several other sources, and the cheap yixings are just that, cheap. They're not all that impressive, and the more expensive ones are well worth the extra cost.... unfortunately.
Joel - any vendors you'd recommend (and how expensive is expensive)?

JP
I am in search of a yixing pot and was wondering how the pot you bought from this website was.

Thanks,

I actually directly from the proprieter at a local festival, he had it there along with other yixings. It is but one of many yixings that he carries, both cheaper and mostly more expensive.

The pot is OK. It is 120 ml in capacity, so it gives 100ml when I make tea with it. The spout has a single hole, there isn't a multiple hole strainer to it. The lid is not a perfect fit, there's is the slightest wobble to it. There was a bit of white sand in the bottom which rinsed out well enough, with the help of a towel between rinsings.

I haven't been able to fully evaluate it because I'm waiting for my first order of puerh samples to arrive. In the meantime, I'm brewing some Rishi Puerh Tou Cha, which comes in those small "tablets." It isn't whole leaf so it is easy for it to get into the spout and plug it, which slows down the pour along with causing the tea to come out of the lid if I'm not careful. I expect that the pour will correct itself when I start using whole leaf tea in it.

After brewing several varieties of sheng in the yixing pictured above I can say that the pour has greatly improved, no dribbling and good control. Still, I have to be careful not to fill it to the top because water will come out from under the lid when I pour

I am still in search of my first Yixing pot and really don't want to spend a lot of money.

Has anyone ordered from Rishi Tea. They seem to have some nice looking Yixing pots at a reasonable price.

I am still in search of my first Yixing pot and really don't want to spend a lot of money.

Has anyone ordered from Rishi Tea. They seem to have some nice looking Yixing pots at a reasonable price.
They all seem a bit large.
Except this one, which is out of stock.

You may also wish to check out enjoyingtea.com.
I've ordered from them with happy results.

But I'm really looking forward to this guy's arrival:

- Richard

If you have any questions please go to teachat.com

The teapots are discussed to death and overall impression is that they have the best quality pots at the most reasonable price.

Their pictures are big but make sure you pay attention to the capacity - they are quite small.

Top Bottom