What's new

Small Cheap yixing....

Where do you guys suggest picking up a good quality, small, plain yixing? I've got some really nice beauties at home - but i'm looking for a setup to take to the office.

Well, if you lived in florida, TEAVANA, a popular tea store around florida is selling the normal sized ones for under 20 bucks.......they are not going out of business but they are getting rid of old stock and have discounted them heavily.....

For single person use, no more than 120mL or so, please. This is especially true with pu'er. I am pretty sure most of the stuff on the web comes from the same factory in China, so don't believe the hype.

Most of the really cheap stuff (~$10 or so) I have found to be useless. If you come up with a good source, I would love to know it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My kid calls them "Daddy's tiny pots made from magic dirt".

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get a decent pot "dirt" cheap, but that logic applies to a slice of pizza, a cup of coffee, or a host of other scenarios, all of which are met with limited success.

I would use the Olympic scoring method of dropping the low and the high. A pot should have a tight fit (can't tell by pics), thick, heat retaining walls (again, can't tell by pics), and a fast pour (still can't tell). So the answer is I can't tell ya.

I'm with Scotto - anything over 12cl and you'll be getting some weak, cold tea :chinese:

(Below 7cl is too small, I think - you're just constantly messing around with the pot. 8-12cl is a nice compromise. I like 10-12cl because then you can back off and use more water if the tea is proving to be bitter.)

Well my nice ones are in the three digits... I'm looking for anything in the 2 digits that's the right size and of good quality. I haven't bought one in years - so i'm not sure where the best sources for the plain jane stuff are.

The second is orgasmic, the third is pretty. The first is hideous! (All just subjective, of course.)

They're all basic quality, of course, but that's what you're paying for - wisely done!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I actually own the middle one. I used it once and it has sat on my shelf ever since. I wouldn't bother. Lousy fit, lousy pour.

The second is orgasmic, the third is pretty. The first is hideous! (All just subjective, of course.)

They're all basic quality, of course, but that's what you're paying for - wisely done!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

The only reason the first one is a contender is because the lid design ensures a reasonable fit.

I like the second one too, but after reading this...

I actually own the middle one. I used it once and it has sat on my shelf ever since. I wouldn't bother. Lousy fit, lousy pour.

I'll take a pass.

I'm looking for something inexpensive and serviceable - I'll go for appearances later.

...I am watching this thread with great interest

After receiving some generous Pu'erh samples (thanks again, Jay!), I quickly realized that I wasn't getting the most out of them in my larger teapot. I have temporarily put them aside until I choose a nice, inexpensive yixing.

I discovered this shop's web site just yesterday, and purchased this 100ml yixing directly from the owner today while I was on break from manning a booth at a festival.

The whole page of Yixing selections is here.

Top Bottom