What's new

Slants!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
This is the blade alignment that works best for me an all of my various slants:

My first slant was the PAA Oxblood Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic. This is a tilted slant and the blade is not actually torqued so the exposure is supposed to be even across both sides. It does BEND the blade quite a bit, which contributes the rigidity that the torque would otherwise supply.

So I was at first a little concerned looking at my S2 with differential exposure. Closer investigation showed that there are alignment pins internal to the head to force that alignment. My procedure now is to confirm that the blade is properly engaging the pins as I'm assembling the razor, but beyond that it pretty much aligns itself if I start everything properly.

O.H.

I don't know the science behind it, but I enjoy slants. Perhaps it's because they clamp the blade down tighter. I regularly use the Above The Tie S1, but if RAD is perked and want to try a slant, I thought the Maggard slant head was excellent, it was absolutely the gateway drug for me into slants.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With my Merkur 37 I can always get a close 2 pass shave.
Yes I am sure my comment will bring out other opinions.
I have found that the more I "fiddle" with my RR German 37 slant the more time I waste. It just looks off no matter what I do to "straighten it out" so I just load and go, within reason.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is the blade alignment that works best for me an all of my various slants:

View attachment 1024745

I just throw the blade in and shave, but that's how the blades do and should look according to my experience with the slants I have. I have only four brands of slants.

The edge naturally aligns with the comb and seems askew with the cap, but the shave is right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, I had an early offsite meeting this morning and didn’t want to get up at some ungodly hour, so I shaved at 11pm with Variant loaded with a Feather on its 4th use. 3 passes then a quick 4th ATG pass for good measure.

At 6am this morning I still pretty much had a BBS. Now at lunch, over 12 hrs after shaving I can feel a slight stubble. With my RR37, that stubble would appear in 5-6 hours.

The problem I’ve been having with this slant so far is the inability to get a real BBS. I get DFS very easy and quickly, perhaps easier and quicker than with any other razor, but a true lasting BBS remains elusive.

Well I guess I need more practice to unlock its full potential...

Hi Everyone,

I just used my first ever Slant: A Maggard Razors Chrome Slant head with a MR-11 Blue anodized stainless steel handle (both were on sale at Maggard Razors so I think the combo was something like $20). I was a bit worried about how aggressive it might be since my go to is the Merkur 34C. I put in a Nacet blade on its fourth or fifth shave in and hoped for the best.

The result: A DFS with no nicks, and a heck of a lot less apprehension regarding at least this slant head! I am going to keep using it for awhile and see how it goes. I did find it only worked if I got the angle just right, otherwise it didn't do anything at all. I will try riding the cap with my next shave, I tend to start from the safety bar side and find the angle.

Problem is now I want to try the Merkur slant, and the Superlite slant from Fine...Guess place will be getting money from me in the near future.

Hope you all are getting your DFS or BBS that you want!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Everyone,

I just used my first ever Slant: A Maggard Razors Chrome Slant head with a MR-11 Blue anodized stainless steel handle (both were on sale at Maggard Razors so I think the combo was something like $20). I was a bit worried about how aggressive it might be since my go to is the Merkur 34C. I put in a Nacet blade on its fourth or fifth shave in and hoped for the best.

The result: A DFS with no nicks, and a heck of a lot less apprehension regarding at least this slant head! I am going to keep using it for awhile and see how it goes. I did find it only worked if I got the angle just right, otherwise it didn't do anything at all. I will try riding the cap with my next shave, I tend to start from the safety bar side and find the angle.

Problem is now I want to try the Merkur slant, and the Superlite slant from Fine...Guess place will be getting money from me in the near future.

Hope you all are getting your DFS or BBS that you want!

SLAD = Slant Acquisition Disorder.

Rare except around here. Fatal if your wife finds out.

I have three slants in total, Merkur 37C & 39C and the iKon X3. My favourite is the X3 and I have a few iKon handles to go with it my fav being the 80mm bulldog.

Top Bottom