What's new

Slants!

Any advantages to a slant? Is a slant your daily driver and why?
Smooth, close, efficient shaves.
I had a DFS with my German 37 this morning. This is not my daily driver.
I’m still in love with my 34 HD.
There are milder slants that may make a better daily driver.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0008 - Edited (3).jpg

In 40 years of wet shaving I have yet to find a more efficient razor than the traditional slant.
I began with a silver-plated Merkur 37 HD, now retired (avove).
Today my daily driver is a RazoRock German 37 (below).

DSCF0013 - Edited (1).jpg

When I first used a Merkur 37 slant I thought it was the smoothest razor I ever used. Even with the blade I think is the worst blade, Merkur blade, it was still very smooth and close.

I have a 39C that I use in my regular rotation with CCG, Gibbs, and Timeless. I find it smooth and efficient, really no learning curve at all. I think the secret is the fact that the shaving surface is flat, so there is no room for error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a number of slants. My favorite is the ATT S1 followed by the Merkur 37C and RR Prototype. All three are part of my rotation.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I tried a PAA Alpha Ecliptic which was at least suggestive. Nice shaver, but I wanted something different.

I found that with the ATT S2. I traded another member for it, trading off an SE1 head that didn't inspire joy. [grin] It's not as aggressive in design as some of the vintage slants. It's an OC, which I find I like with Astra blades. I may be wrong but I think it's the only modern stainless OC slant. I like the mass of it, where aluminum and bakelite razors don't feel right to me.

I've been using it for the last three weeks or so. Ordinarily I spend way more time in SE-space, but I get nice, smooth, drama-free shaves with this thing and I'm enjoying that. If the house was on fire I'd grab probably four razors if I had the chance. This'd be one of them; the rest are all SE (and two are lather catchers).

Plus I don't have to change razors between SLANTember and OCtober...

O.H.

Smooth, close, efficient shaves.
I had a DFS with my German 37 this morning. This is not my daily driver.
I’m still in love with my 34 HD.
There are milder slants that may make a better daily driver.
You find the German 37 aggressive? I find it quite mild. I use it when I have a cut I want to avoid

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I also find the German 37 to be among the mildest slants. I can't think of one that is milder. But I have to admit that the 34C, like the EJ DE89, gives a milder shave than a slant IMHO.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Slants FourSlants.4Slants.MySlants.9-18.640.jpg

I like 'em all.

Mostly I shave with a straight razor.

9-30-19.ATT-Slant.Kit.Dragonsbeard.640.JPG

Today I shaved with this great ATT slant.

I think slants are my favorite DE safety razor. I find them more efficient.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to your review.

Here are the details:

Shave 20190930

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: Kai (5)
Post-shave: Styptic, Thai Alum and Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave Splash: Original Tabac
Cologne: Original Tabac

Went all out on my first shave with a Slant - full three pass shave. Results = close shave with three weepers and moderate+ irritation.

Probably not my best idea ever but I did learn a lot about the best angles and how to better maneuver the Wunderbar. So I've got that going for me. ;)

The Wunderbar is an efficient and aggressive razor. In retrospect, I needed to approach my first shave with it a bit more cautiously. I think I have a much better handle (no pun intended) on what I can, and can't, do with the Wunderbar.

The Wunderbar is an intriguing razor and one that I will revisit.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

I generally prefer mild (at times moderate) razors; my favorite slant is the Ikon X3 in aluminum (I wish it came in brass or stainless!). Efficient, friendly, works well. ATT's S1/2 and RazoRock's 37 are my runners-up; Parker's is in 3rd place (I'm still getting used to it). I can't say that they are better than non-slant razors, but they certainly shave well.

Interesting thread!

Looks like I am in the minority here as I have not found slants to my liking, probably just me!

Went all out on my first shave with a Slant - full three pass shave. Results = close shave with three weepers and moderate+ irritation.

Probably not my best idea ever but I did learn a lot about the best angles and how to better maneuver the Wunderbar. So I've got that going for me. ;)

The Wunderbar is an efficient and aggressive razor. In retrospect, I needed to approach my first shave with it a bit more cautiously. I think I have a much better handle (no pun intended) on what I can, and can't, do with the Wunderbar.
The Wunderbar is an intriguing razor and one that I will revisit.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Sounds like you have to work on your technique. Go easy with very little pressure. You will get it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you have to work on your technique. Go easy with very little pressure. You will get it.

Certainly carelessness on my part. The Wunderbar demands ones full attention and my mind was swimming in other thoughts. Result, I nicked myself three times.

This morning I am pleased to report that all residual irritation is gone and I am feeling a smooth result.

The Wunderbar is a fine razor and is definitely staying in my rotation. Next time I will maintain focus and treat it with the respect it deserves.

A definite lesson in my quest to learn. :)

My last cut was with a slant, the Yaqi that has the open comb top plate. It's a great razor, but easily the most aggressive slant I have.

Top Bottom