Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: Kai (6)
Post-shave: Thai Alum
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave Splash: Original Tabac
Cologne: Original Tabac

"Second verse, same as the first".....only better. Much better.

First pass = WTG.
Second pass = XTG - selected areas only.
Third pass = ATG - selected areas only.

Kept a light touch and watched the angles carefully on all passes.

Results = DFS. No weepers with minor irritation.

8.5/10

Pretty darn happy with this result. :)

I'm not sloppy, but I don't pay super-close attention to technique. My Merkur 37c is, however, very forgiving and I routinely end up with a close shave and no blood. I especially like that it isn't finicky with regard to blade angle when working around the jawline.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Seems to be limited choice unless you want a 37C.

Depends on what you mean by "limited." PAA makes two slants in several flavours. ATT makes two slants, SB and OC. Merkur makes two slants. Ikon and RazoRock and other brands have slant offerings. Plus the vintage market has some interesting possibilities. They go from mild to wild.

Fewer, I'll admit, than other razor styles but there are a number of options across a broad enough spectrum that you should be able to find something that fits your preferences.

O.H.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Depends on what you mean by "limited." PAA makes two slants in several flavours. ATT makes two slants, SB and OC. Merkur makes two slants. Ikon and RazoRock and other brands have slant offerings. Plus the vintage market has some interesting possibilities. They go from mild to wild.

Fewer, I'll admit, than other razor styles but there are a number of options across a broad enough spectrum that you should be able to find something that fits your preferences.

O.H.
Don't rule out the Maggard Slant -- Inexpensive and efficient

DSCF0006 - Edited.jpg

DSCF0009 - Edited (3).jpg

If at first you don't succeed.....

Shave 20191001

Prep: Wash face with Neutrogena
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Brush: Yaqi Cashmere Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
Blade: Kai (6)
Post-shave: Thai Alum
Aftershave Balm: CeraVe
Aftershave Splash: Original Tabac
Cologne: Original Tabac

"Second verse, same as the first".....only better. Much better.

First pass = WTG.
Second pass = XTG - selected areas only.
Third pass = ATG - selected areas only.

Kept a light touch and watched the angles carefully on all passes.

Results = DFS. No weepers with minor irritation.

8.5/10

Pretty darn happy with this result. :)

You just have to ride the cap, and never apply pressure. Once you do that, the shave will be carefree and the results will be as close a shave as any razor will get you. Enjoy the Wunderbar, it’s wunderbar.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Don't rule out the Maggard Slant -- Inexpensive and efficient

View attachment 1022259
View attachment 1022260

Happen to have a Maggard Slant head and plan to try it soon.

You just have to ride the cap, and never apply pressure. Once you do that, the shave will be carefree and the results will be as close a shave as any razor will get you. Enjoy the Wunderbar, it’s wunderbar.

Riding the cap does seem to be the best path with the Wunderbar. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
In the UK so a lot of stuff is out of stock or subject to import charges :(

I didn't check your location before shooting off my keyboard; my apologies. I wonder if the BST on this site would be a place to look for razors that you may not have so much duty owing on?

I note that there is also a "Brotherhood of Slant Shavers" -- and offer the thought that in a group of dedicated slant lovers you may have a statistically higher chance of getting lucky when someone says, "This one just doesn't make me happy..." and offers it for trade or sale.

O.H.

So, I just got my first slant (RR German 37) and I am really on the fence about it.

On one hand, it’s impressively mild and easy to use, just effortlessly glides on my skin, with no irritation whatsoever and a couple weepers that I write off to not being used to it yet.

On the other hand, it just doesn’t seem to produce the BBS I get with Parker Variant using the same Astra SP blade. 3 passes and some cleanup and I still get some slightly rough feeling spots.

Basically it’s the easiest, quickest, most efficient way to get DFS, but - so far - not BBS.

Do I have to keep working with it, or is it just the way this slant is designed?

So, I just got my first slant (RR German 37) and I am really on the fence about it.

On one hand, it’s impressively mild and easy to use, just effortlessly glides on my skin, with no irritation whatsoever and a couple weepers that I write off to not being used to it yet.

On the other hand, it just doesn’t seem to produce the BBS I get with Parker Variant using the same Astra SP blade. 3 passes and some cleanup and I still get some slightly rough feeling spots.

Basically it’s the easiest, quickest, most efficient way to get DFS, but - so far - not BBS.

Do I have to keep working with it, or is it just the way this slant is designed?
My favorite is a Gillette Silver Blue in that razor. Give that a go.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh

It could possibly the way you align the blade. Unfortunately there is so much disagreement among B&B members, I will only suggest that you experiment. IMHO aligning the blade edges even with the top cap is the worst choice with any slant.

It could possibly the way you align the blade. Unfortunately there is so much disagreement among B&B members, I will only suggest that you experiment. IMHO aligning the blade edges even with the top cap is the worst choice with any slant.

Yes, that’s certainly a possibility. On first shave I held it at the same angle I hold the Variant, on second I used the angle on the top cap as a guide. I will keep experimenting.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Yes, that’s certainly a possibility. On first shave I held it at the same angle I hold the Variant, on second I used the angle on the top cap as a guide. I will keep experimenting.
This is the blade alignment that works best for me an all of my various slants:

DSCF0001 - Edited (1).jpg

Every Slant I've ever owned which were many, I just throw the blade in and go to it. Never had a problem that I could tell. I can't help but wonder if this is a real problem.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Every Slant I've ever owned which were many, I just throw the blade in and go to it. Never had a problem that I could tell. I can't help but wonder if this is a real problem.
Let the games begin. This will be the the first of dozens of opinions to follow.
For me, and I have a medium beard, on a good morning, even with two days growth, I can get BBS in two passes (WTG & ATG) using my RR German 37.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Let the games begin. This will be the the first of dozens of opinions to follow.
For me, and I have a medium beard, on a good morning, even with two days growth, I can get BBS in two passes (WTG & ATG) using my RR German 37.
Your experience with that razor is pretty much the same as mine. So effortless as to be almost boring.

With my Merkur 37 I can always get a close 2 pass shave.
Yes I am sure my comment will bring out other opinions.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
The German 37, iKon X3, and the Merkur 37c are the mildest slants in my rotation, which also includes a Maggard Slant and an ikon B1 stainless steel slant. The latter two are considerably more aggressive. All require some attention to blade alignment.
"You just throw a blade in and go" at your peril.

Top Bottom