What's new

Skin pulling, why not?

Since your face isn't flat, the guard performs the useful function of squishing and/or stretching enough of the skin before the blade reaches it to present a flat enough surface to shave. You don't get this with a straight, so you have to prepare the skin for every bit of the blade that makes contact. How much of the blade makes contact is up to you.

I would not say stretch.
At that point of the SB ( or OC) it flats the skin so you don't get cut ( protection).
Try to tests:
1. Take two fingers and gently push on the cheeks = SB
2. Take two finger and pull, hold the upper cheek = SR (& shavettes)

Can you tell / feel the difference?

BFX

Eben Stone

Staff member
I think it depends a lot on which razor you're using. Normally, I would say that it doesn't really matter if you shave shallow or steep. Except for the Gillette Tech and clones, if the razor is stretching your skin, then you're using too much pressure and/or your soap isn't slick enough. My daily driver is a Yaqi Knight Helmet. Let's just say I do my own skin stretching and don't let the safety bar (if you can call it that) touch my skin.

I think it depends a lot on which razor you're using. Normally, I would say that it doesn't really matter if you shave shallow or steep. Except for the Gillette Tech and clones, if the razor is stretching your skin, then you're using too much pressure and/or your soap isn't slick enough. My daily driver is a Yaqi Knight Helmet. Let's just say I do my own skin stretching and don't let the safety bar (if you can call it that) touch my skin.

This was what I was thinking. I would think most people are using light touch with their razor, there be exceptions like Soap Thing who shaves like he is peeling a butternut squash.

If that were the case, then the guard serves no useful purpose, and could be removed with a hacksaw with no ill effect. Do you really think so? Some people have done this to their safety razor to create a "devette". Can you shave with a devette? Yes. Is it the same as having a guard? No (unless you shave with the razor held at an angle such that the guard never, ever touches the face at all).
I could be wrong as I have been wrong before. From what I read about the DE razor development, the purpose of the guard is not to "pull/stretch the skin". In my experience, the guard/razor does not pull/stretch the skin. The DE razor subject to this discussion is also called "safety razor" due to the presence of the "safety bar", solid or open comb.

There is enough written word to describe how the safety razor works, through patents, white papers, published studies and so on. Take for instance the description of the guard in this patent US2741840A Razor construction
And of course, the US2270388A Safety razor describing that "...the cap and guard members are relied upon not only for shaping and supporting the thin flexible cutting blade when it is clamped between them for shaving but they determine also the edge exposure of the razor."

It is possible that you are referring to the skin drag idea from the cartridge head, something that I would not equate to skin pulling when using a DE razor.

In my uneducated opinion, the purpose of the guard beside its obvious safety function is to create a skin bulge between the top of the guard and the blade/top cap. Allowing my neutral exposure razor to cut hair with minimal impact on skin.
Just a thought.

Oh, here is the customary face palm :facep:

Almost forgot... I too confess, I pull the #### out of my skin when I shave. I have a jaw line and a cleft chin. And that would make enough of an excuse to pull the skin in the privacy of my bathroom.

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been Bull frogging(puffing cheeks) and lightly stretching my skin at the lower part of my neck for years, it reduces nicks and gives a closer shave IMO.

I have been doing it for many years there are places that need it and places that do not need it. as you get older, you will need it more than when you were in your 20s'. Get to my age and older you want to pull some of that old skin tight.

Top Bottom