What's new

Single Edge vector or sabre

Hi I'm new to joining this site though long term reader. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

In my shave den I have
Blackland sabre, vector, dart
Merkur 37c slant
Ikon slant

I have the sabre level 2. I notice blackland are due to refine this razor soon.

In the sabre I thought I found my perfect razor but chasing a new dream I obsessed over the vector for months and finally decided to get one.

The general consensus seems to be it's preferred over the sabre.

However I just can't get on with it . I am using the feather professional but it's nicking me and giving me a lot of burn. Either I'm using it wrong or artist club blades aren't for me. The sabre on the other hand is perfect if you take it steady.

Any tips to make the vector more comfortable? Otherwise I will be offering it to the marketplace .

What blade combo and angles are best ?

Also does anybody agree with me the sabre is the better razor ?

I should add most of my problems with the vector come when against the grain. I am figuring it is the blade, pressure, angle situation rather than the razor . How many shaves should I expect out of an AC on this razor ?

The Feather blades are very good, but you might want to start out with a guarded blade from Feather or Kai then work your way up to the Pro’s.

I find an AC blade will last from 5 to 10 shaves depending on the blade.

Shane at Blackland says you need to use some pressure but when “learning” the razor, don’t use any pressure then experiment by adding some as you get used to the razor.

First, make sure you're using Feather Professional and not Feather Professional Super. The Supers are very blade-forward and can cut you until you learn the technique.

Second, try a Feather ProGuard. They are very mild but extremely efficient in the Vector. The last 7 to 10 shaves.

Third, be sure you've watched Blackland's Vector video -

Thanks for being such a big supporter of our razors!

Commonly, nicks and irritation with the Vector come from using too little pressure. The head is so lightweight that if you don’t add pressure the head will skip and tug when it hits hair instead of slicing through it. That tugging pulls up the skin which causes the nicks. The head weighs less than regular aluminum razor heads so you are safe to add a lot of pressure back in. Basically, you want your hand to mimic the effect that gravity would have on a heavier razor.

That’s not the only cause, but it’s by far the most common and it also make sense that you enjoy the Sabre because it’s on the opposite end of the weight spectrum.

If it’s not that, please let me know and we can dig deeper to diagnose this and help you out!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Thanks for being such a big supporter of our razors!

Commonly, nicks and irritation with the Vector come from using too little pressure. The head is so lightweight that if you don’t add pressure the head will skip and tug when it hits hair instead of slicing through it. That tugging pulls up the skin which causes the nicks. The head weighs less than regular aluminum razor heads so you are safe to add a lot of pressure back in. Basically, you want your hand to mimic the effect that gravity would have on a heavier razor.

That’s not the only cause, but it’s by far the most common and it also make sense that you enjoy the Sabre because it’s on the opposite end of the weight spectrum.

If it’s not that, please let me know and we can dig deeper to diagnose this and help you out!
Love my Vector. I used it this morning, Shane. :)

I, too, am a huge fan of the Sabre. GEM blades seem to suit my beard and skin. I cannot find an artist blade/razor that does anything but irritate/cut my skin. I had given up on them. I’ll try again and take Shane from Blackland‘s advice about a bit more pressure.

Bump!
I've been eyeing the Sabre and am too wondering how it would differ. In SE (AC format) I've got the ATT X1 slant which I love and the RR Hawk aluminum which I don't like at all. And I have lots of DE's which are what I use most. ATT's, Timeless, Greencult, Tatara etc..
Now my only experience with GEM has been from a 1950's GEM Featherweight that I have. I've used it maybe 5 times and the shaves were efficient but kind of rough. Didn't seem like my skin liked the feel very much. I didn't use the coated blades though since I just bought the non-coated stainless ones that you get on Amazon. I basically bought it and the blades just to try the GEM format.
Will the coated blades help improve the shaves on the Featherweight?
And would the Sabre (level 1) be much better as compared to the Featherweight and my current razors that I've listed above?
Even at the upcoming discount price for the Sabre, it seems very expensive and I don't want to end up with a Dud. And he's I know they have a refund/return period but I really don't like doing that!
Lots of other razors out there that I can buy for the price of the Sabre. But it seems like something unique where I would make the investment if I know that it really works.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi I'm new to joining this site though long term reader. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

In my shave den I have
Blackland sabre, vector, dart
Merkur 37c slant
Ikon slant

I have the sabre level 2. I notice blackland are due to refine this razor soon.

In the sabre I thought I found my perfect razor but chasing a new dream I obsessed over the vector for months and finally decided to get one.

The general consensus seems to be it's preferred over the sabre.

However I just can't get on with it . I am using the feather professional but it's nicking me and giving me a lot of burn. Either I'm using it wrong or artist club blades aren't for me. The sabre on the other hand is perfect if you take it steady.

Any tips to make the vector more comfortable? Otherwise I will be offering it to the marketplace .

What blade combo and angles are best ?

Also does anybody agree with me the sabre is the better razor ?
The Ti Vector is my favorite razor (of any blade type) and (of course) my favorite AC blade razor. The Sabre L2 is my favorite GEM blade razor. They are both superb razors in all respects.

As I have said before: the Vector is the sports car of razors. You have to drive it around your face. To do that, minimal but appropriate pressure is required to make sure the extremely light Vector head remains in contact with your face. I also use a steep angle.

Hope this helps.

Bump!
I've been eyeing the Sabre and am too wondering how it would differ. In SE (AC format) I've got the ATT X1 slant which I love and the RR Hawk aluminum which I don't like at all. And I have lots of DE's which are what I use most. ATT's, Timeless, Greencult, Tatara etc..
Now my only experience with GEM has been from a 1950's GEM Featherweight that I have. I've used it maybe 5 times and the shaves were efficient but kind of rough. Didn't seem like my skin liked the feel very much. I didn't use the coated blades though since I just bought the non-coated stainless ones that you get on Amazon. I basically bought it and the blades just to try the GEM format.
Will the coated blades help improve the shaves on the Featherweight?
And would the Sabre (level 1) be much better as compared to the Featherweight and my current razors that I've listed above?
Even at the upcoming discount price for the Sabre, it seems very expensive and I don't want to end up with a Dud. And he's I know they have a refund/return period but I really don't like doing that!
Lots of other razors out there that I can buy for the price of the Sabre. But it seems like something unique where I would make the investment if I know that it really works.

The coated Personna PTFE-coated GEM is by far the superior GEM blade so I think you owe it to yourself to pick up a pack or have someone send you a few blades. It's also important to note that GEM blades are notorious for getting smoother as you use them. The first one or two shaves are usually the worst with a new GEM blade.

Some points about the Sabre (L1 since that's all that's remaining):
  • Smooth and quite mild (too mild for some)
  • Intuitive to use
  • Heavy
  • Compact head (as compact as possible for a GEM)
  • The Sabre is being reimagined so this is the last chance to get a Sabre as currently designed
By the way, we would MUCH rather you buy a razor and return it than never buy it for fear of not wanting to return it. Return policies are in place because it benefits everyone. So please don't be hesitant to use it.

The coated Personna PTFE-coated GEM is by far the superior GEM blade so I think you owe it to yourself to pick up a pack or have someone send you a few blades. It's also important to note that GEM blades are notorious for getting smoother as you use them. The first one or two shaves are usually the worst with a new GEM blade.

Some points about the Sabre (L1 since that's all that's remaining):
  • Smooth and quite mild (too mild for some)
  • Intuitive to use
  • Heavy
  • Compact head (as compact as possible for a GEM)
  • The Sabre is being reimagined so this is the last chance to get a Sabre as currently designed
By the way, we would MUCH rather you buy a razor and return it than never buy it for fear of not wanting to return it. Return policies are in place because it benefits everyone. So please don't be hesitant to use it.
Thanks for the response!
I think I'll pass on the Sabre for now till you come out with the redesigned one. I think I would prefer the Level 2 in machined finish. I see most people are more content with the level 2 plate anyways!
I sometimes like a relatively mild shave but mostly prefer mid-aggressive razors.
I might give the Blackbird a shot with the current sale that you have. It's one of the few modern razors I haven't tried!
As for the coated blades, I've ordered a pack from Connaught's. I can try them in my GEM Featherweight to get an idea of how they perform vs. the non-coated ones. That might bring me closer to the eventual purchase of a Sabre whenever the new one comes out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom