What's new

Similar to but "better" (more efficient) than Merkur 34C?

The Merkur 37c slant is the first thing that comes to mind. It's very similar to the 34c in many ways, but with the slant design you get an improvement in efficiency and smoothness.

The Razorock 'German 37' is a replica of an older Merkur slant and a touch more efficient than the current 37c. It is also a three-piece so you can customize the handle to suit yourself.

I used a 34C with feather blades for a little over 10 years. I wanted to use it to shave every day, but I found that to get smooth required too many passes and if I did it every day it was rather irritating to my skin so I only shaved every few days. I then bought a Timeless with both the .68 and .95 safety bar and used those for a year, attempting to shave daily with them. What I found kind of surprised me - the .95 was much kinder to my skin than the .68. It just required less passes for a smooth shave. The .95 has a positive exposure of 0.05 mm and the .68 is neutral (as I believe is the case with the 34C). However, I did still find it difficult to daily shave with the .95 - it was still a bit irritating to my skin. I had it in my mind that the increased exposure was what was increasing efficiency in my case with the Timeless because when you're shaving every day, it's just short stubble, so the bigger gap isn't buying you efficiency (though it does widen the acceptable shave angle range).

In looking for something to replace the Timeless, I wanted something that had a large exposure with a relatively small gap. Larger gaps help with the acceptable shave angle, but they do increase the tendency for a "bite" as skin can bunch up in the large gap. I was looking at the Blackbird (reported geometry is .6/.1 mm gap/exposure) first as this seemed to fit my requirements, but then I came across the GreenCult 2.0. It's a multi plate system with 4 plates. Exposures increase linearly by 0.05 mm, in steps of 0.05 mm up to 0.2 mm for the IV plate. Gaps increase from 0.5 to 1.0 across the plates as well. I got mine with the II, III, and IV plates. I find all of them much better than the Timeless as far as efficiency and like the IV plate the best. I never tried the Blackbird, but it has geometry similar to the II plate of the GreenCult. The Blackbird has the advantage of free returns and it seems to be universally liked. The GreenCult is available from Italianbarber and is half the price (comes with the II plate, but you can add extra plates for $40), but you'd probably have a harder time offloading it if you didn't like it.

Just my thoughts on the matter having also started with a 34C with the goal of shaving daily. I haven't tried nearly as many razors as some here though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think an important question is whether OP is using an older 34c, or the milder current version.

That would affect which razors would be considered more efficient / aggressive. I owned a new 34c and never shaved with it before selling it, but comparing it to my old 34c there was visibly less blade gap, by quite an obvious amount. I have heard it is much milder than the old one and I believe it. This also explains why some folks consider it a mild razor, whilst in the past it was always considered more on the low end of medium.

Interesting. I have read similar reports here for other razors, in particular the R41 (i.e., newer molds being more "mild"). Perhaps this is a sign that sales are trending upward...

I

Island

I then bought a Timeless with both the .68 and .95 safety bar and used those for a year, attempting to shave daily with them. What I found kind of surprised me - the .95 was much kinder to my skin than the .68. It just required less passes for a smooth shave.
That was my experience as well.

I

Island

I haven't quite landed. If I take my time, the blackbird ti is my favorite. But most days when I'm in a hurry I alternate between timeless .95 sb and karve Overlander. The timeless is a bit more comfortable while the Overlander gives a closer shave.

I also like the feather AS-D2 but it requires exactly the right angle, which can be hard to do. When the angle is perfect, it is both very smooth and close. If off a little, it gets irritating due to need for a lot of buffing.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I also like the feather AS-D2 but it requires exactly the right angle, which can be hard to do. When the angle is perfect, it is both very smooth and close. If off a little, it gets irritating due to need for a lot of buffing.
Have you tried your ASD2 with a shim? I found it helped with the efficiency without sacrificing any of the smoothness.

~doug~

If your budget is up to $300 and you want a high end razor, you should seriously consider a Wolfman WR2 0.95 in stainless matte finish. Just order the head, and get a handle from Razorock. Anything else will leave you wanting more.

~doug~

Great suggestion!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

That should save ‘collecting’ another two/three razors!!

I

Island

Have you tried your ASD2 with a shim? I found it helped with the efficiency without sacrificing any of the smoothness.
I tried that today. It did improve efficiency but still needed buffing. The only razor that doesn't seem to be irritating with repeat buffing (for me) is the Overlander.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
But most days when I'm in a hurry I alternate between timeless .95 sb and karve Overlander. The timeless is a bit more comfortable while the Overlander gives a closer shave.
I found my Ti95 OC to be more comfortable than my Ti SB
The only razor that doesn't seem to be irritating with repeat buffing (for me) is the Overlander.
Have you considered an open comb?

~doug~

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Island @Rosseforp talking about comfortable OC designs, Timeless has these inward bent teeth. They have the advantages of an SB, they don't "bite", and the closeness of the OC design. That's why I always repeat myself saying, if you get a Timeless, get an OC. They do not only beat the Tatara OCs, they beat almost every other OC. My Harlequin is also very nice, though.

Pics for comparison purposes:
1695375743099.png

Masamune OC

1695375872790.png
Timeless OC, taken from the Maggard's shop website. Timeless doesn't want their pics copied for some reason.
Not quite as nice as this pic: TIOCBASE: Open Comb Base Plate, Titanium - https://timelessrazor.com/shop/ols/products/open-comb-titanium-base

Looking for recommendations on a more efficient version of the Merkur 34C, which I find is still not quite efficient enough even with Feathers. I shave daily so something more aggressive isn't a good idea. I'm assuming higher end razors would be similar in mildness but more efficient? Your experiences and recommendations? Prefer a non-adjustable, too. Budget up to $300
Buy an Henson ++ and pair it with Jack Black Beard Lube or Jack Black Supreme Cream. Having used more than a dozen razors and probably double that in creams and soaps, this is by far the best combination. Drama free every shave with one pass.

Before spending any money at all, do try shimming. It might be all the boost you need for efficiency.

Yates Precision Manufacturing. 'Merica if you want to keep it under $100, 921-M if you can spend above $100. Smooth, efficient, yet mild feeling.

For the big bucks, yes the Blackland Blackbird really is all that.
Please explain how to shim a razor

Reactions: ewk
Please explain how to shim a razor
With a used/dull/spent blade, you can use regular scissors to snip off the sharp edges, leaving you with a shim with less width than your fresh blade. Insert the shim between the fresh blade and baseplate. The reduced width will not interfere with your cutting edges, and you will increase the blade gap (distance between edge of blade and baseplate). You can increase the gap by inserting 1, 2, 3 . . . shims.

I think an important question is whether OP is using an older 34c, or the milder current version.

That would affect which razors would be considered more efficient / aggressive. I owned a new 34c and never shaved with it before selling it, but comparing it to my old 34c there was visibly less blade gap, by quite an obvious amount. I have heard it is much milder than the old one and I believe it. This also explains why some folks consider it a mild razor, whilst in the past it was always considered more on the low end of medium.
I would like to thank you James for this priceless information. My guess for a few years was they did the same thing to the 34C as on the 37C i.e. making it milder. Many years ago I had a 34C and I don't remember it being as mild and with negative exposure as the current 34C.
They did the same with the 3 piece razors, the 42C I bought 2-3 years ago is impossibly mild.

To the original poster. If your 34C is the latest milder version, most of the razors on the market will give you a closer shave. But we also don't know if this is your first razor. Have you used other DE razors before?

Top Bottom