What's new

Similar to but "better" (more efficient) than Merkur 34C?

Looking for recommendations on a more efficient version of the Merkur 34C, which I find is still not quite efficient enough even with Feathers. I shave daily so something more aggressive isn't a good idea. I'm assuming higher end razors would be similar in mildness but more efficient? Your experiences and recommendations? Prefer a non-adjustable, too. Budget up to $300

Blackland Blackbird Lite or Lambda Athena, your choice. Or do like me, get both ;)

But seriously, Blackland has a 30-day return, so get the Lite first. Then if you don't like it (I'd be surprised) return it and get on the list for an Athena.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Looking for recommendations on a more efficient version of the Merkur 34C, which I find is still not quite efficient enough even with Feathers. I shave daily so something more aggressive isn't a good idea. I'm assuming higher end razors would be similar in mildness but more efficient? Your experiences and recommendations? Prefer a non-adjustable, too. Budget up to $300
If your budget is up to $300 and you want a high end razor, you should seriously consider a Wolfman WR2 0.95 in stainless matte finish. Just order the head, and get a handle from Razorock. Anything else will leave you wanting more.

~doug~

Before spending any money at all, do try shimming. It might be all the boost you need for efficiency.

Yates Precision Manufacturing. 'Merica if you want to keep it under $100, 921-M if you can spend above $100. Smooth, efficient, yet mild feeling.

For the big bucks, yes the Blackland Blackbird really is all that.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Aaaannnd yet another vote for the Merkur 37C -- or its close clone the RazoRock German 37. Up to you whether you prefer a 2-piece (Merkur) or 3-piece razor so you can put on the handle of your choice.

O.H.

I know you said non-adjustable but how about something like the Rockwell 6S. It's adjustable but not the traditional adjustable, you just change or flip the bottom plate to change aggressiveness. This way you wouldn't have to buy multiple razor to find the one, you basically get 6 razors in 1. I have been interested in one for quite some time but seeing as I like my Slim adjustable I haven't gotten one.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
What about the slant version of the 34C = 37C.

I have used a 34C and it is a very nice and easy shave. I have not used a 37C but I have other slants and they do increase effectiveness with no loss of comfort, in my experience. The 37C is also closed comb so that should maintain the comfort.

Merkur 37C ... smoother and perhaps even more efficient.

Or a Tech :thumbup1:

Aaaannnd yet another vote for the Merkur 37C -- or its close clone the RazoRock German 37. Up to you whether you prefer a 2-piece (Merkur) or 3-piece razor so you can put on the handle of your choice.

O.H.
I was thinking along these lines as well... though what Doug posted is also viable, as I did just that and bought a Wolfman WR2 0.95, though I chose basic polish bronze instead of stainless steel.

I haven't used the Merkur 34 or 38C but I did shave with the 37C for the first time just this morning. I had a lovely shave... smooth, comfortable and pretty close... a ten hour shave for me.... just a few hours less than the aforementioned WR2 and some of my other top razors.

glad to have stumbled across your thread, i was starting to worry it was just me since all i can find for the 34C are glowing reviews. i find that i have to try to the point of irritation to get a true close shave with this thing, even with a feather. i like the razor itself as far as construction goes, its definitely not a bad razor by any means - inefficient for my needs is a great way to put it. im definitely going to try shimming mine though.

you say you would prefer a non-adjustable for some reason, but i have to give you my recommendation anyway. compared to my G1 fatboy its no contest. i scored mine for around $40 in perfect working condition. if youre ok with less than perfect aesthetic quality i highly recommend trying one. im curious as to why you dont want an adjustable? it really adds so much value to the razor.

Reactions: cf1
Here is another vote for 37C, given what you solicit.

Given your generous budget you could also consider the The Razorock SS Lupo. I have the .72 plate, I find it somewhat more aggressive than the 34 C, but not much more so. It's a fantastic razor

For daily shaving - Gamechanger .76 is smooth and a bit more efficient than 34c. Also - Yates 921-M. Rockwell 6s.

Timeless .68

Game Changer 84

Lupo 72

Karve CB "D" plate

Karve Overlander

Carbon CX 1.08 SS

EJ3ONE6

Rocca

ATT Windsor R1 plate

Parker Travel Razor

Barbaros TR2

Firstly try a Kia razor blade (9/1000 inch wider than other blades) this will 'up' the performance of the 34C. Regarding another, more efficient razor, you could try a Lord L6 which has a similar head design as the 34C and 89R, but more efficient. -See the reviews on this Forum

Top Bottom