What's new

Sight Unseen Razors from Whipped Dog

Good morning all, I've been wet shaving since high school but a couple months ago I decided to move from my Mach 3 to a safety razor because I was tired of my face feeling like I had shaved with sandpaper. The results were okay. I didn't get a decline in quality in my shaves (probably has gone up actually) but I still have the same problem with irritation after my shave. I stuck with it because the price point to keep using a safety razor was much lower compared to having to buy new heads for my Mach 3. I've been considering getting a straight razor for a while though and after some looking here I keep seeing people recommend Whipped Dog as a good retailer to buy one from. My question is because I am cheap and hoping for something unique, I am gravitating toward the sight unseen offer on that page. Has anyone had any experience with this? I doubt I would get a bad razor but I also don't want to end up receiving a Gold Dollar that I could have purchased for less or a razor that won't fit my skill level.

You certainly won't get a GD. It would cost Larry, the owner of WD, more in labor to get one of those shave ready than buying one off ebay or out of an antique store, cleaning it up with polish and then honing it. You'll get a vintage american, german or maybe even english razor which has been honed extremely well and is ready for work.

This is precisely how I started. The sight unseen deal with the poor man's strop. It's everything you need except a backup razor for the next two or three months. Actually, you could go longer than that, but most people want to upgrade their razor once they decide they enjoy straight shaving. Can't recommend the Whipped Dog highly enough. I think it's the very best way to try out straight shaving cheaply.

One important safety note. Larry includes a sample of Lilac Vegetal, The Veg as it's known here, in the package you'll get. Do NOT open it. Go out to your backyard where you'll have a hole about 6 feet deep already dug and drop the packet into the hole. Fill in the hole. Pour concrete over top and forget the whole thing happened.

I just recently went with the sight unseen deal with whipped dog. Definitely the way to go. What's important is experiencing a honed shave ready razor, this is more important than whether it's new or what brand it carries especially with regards to your first experience.

What you get isn't pretty, mine had scratched scales but otherwise it shaved so well that I haven't picked up my DE since. And like what oakeshott said...I'm now looking to upgrade because I know it's right for me.

This is precisely how I started. The sight unseen deal with the poor man's strop. It's everything you need except a backup razor for the next two or three months. Actually, you could go longer than that, but most people want to upgrade their razor once they decide they enjoy straight shaving. Can't recommend the Whipped Dog highly enough. I think it's the very best way to try out straight shaving cheaply.

+1 :ouch1: Larry is like a God father to all noob straight shavers. I think most of the guys here have started with tools from Larry. What a nice gentleman.

One important safety note. Larry includes a sample of Lilac Vegetal, The Veg as it's known here, in the package you'll get. Do NOT open it. Go out to your backyard where you'll have a hole about 6 feet deep already dug and drop the packet into the hole. Fill in the hole. Pour concrete over top and forget the whole thing happened.

So tell us, Mark; do you like the Veg? :lol:

So tell us, Mark; do you like the Veg? :lol:

The Veg almost killed me one night in NYC. I had a compromised immune system and lung capacity due to a bout with bronchitis the first time I tried the Veg. The coughing and wheezing that followed was epic. Undeterred by the speed bumps of common sense, I tried it again the following night and that's when the death's head apparition floated over me in a smoky haze.

Not only was I not "chosen", I was very nearly executed.

I don't often respond on these messages, since I am the seller being referenced. About the Lilac aftershave... what doesn't kill you will make you stronger! :)

(On the more serious side... noted.)

Apparently Mark... You are NOT one of THE CHOSEN...

Send me all of your bottles of The Veg - It will have a good home...

JC

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their feedback on this. I'll probably be picking up a pair of razors in the next few days from Whipped Dog. I also appreciate the heads up for how to deal with the Lilac Vegetal and I will handle it with all due care. ;)

FWIW, I get more irritation from a DE razor than I do with my straight. It's easier to shave XTG or ATG without irritation, too. So I hope the straight razor works out the same for you!
I have a whipped dog sight unseen. I don't think you'll regret your purchase. :thumbup:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah Larry doesn't sell Gold Dollars. Other members here do, though. Larry's razors are all old classic brands. Anyway, nothing wrong with a Gold Dollar if it is properly tuned up. My favorite razors are Gold Dollars, just not out of the box Gold Dollars. Don't be afraid to try his sight unseens. You won't be disappointed. Even if you were, I think he has pretty good exchange policiies. He isn't trying to get rich, just help newbs get started.

Y

Eight feet deep.

Top Bottom