What's new

Sight adjustment

I have a question about sight correction/measuring.

My new HK shoots the tiniest bit right consistently. No other pistol I have does this. It is not a lot but I am a perfectionist and don't feel it is me.
Trying to measure the distance from each side is difficult seeing as the sides are sloped. Is there a way to accurately measure this?
What I have done is removed the slide and used an engineers square guaranteed for accuracy on the underside of the slide then measure to the blade of the square from each side. It was off and I have adjusted it. The sight did move with little effort using a brass punch and a few VERY light taps.

I do not think I am allowed to disassemble and work on a firearm at my range so trial and adjust at the range is out.
What do you think about my approach? Is there another way?

Im not a gunsmith, but instead of measuring from the sides, I would mark a line in the center of the sight. I would use that as a reference.

I did that when replacing my rear sight with a pusher. The idea was to get in original sight‘s alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not a gunsmith, but instead of measuring from the sides, I would mark a line in the center of the sight. I would use that as a reference.

I did that when replacing my rear sight with a pusher. The idea was to get in original sight‘s alignment.

This would still be an issue with the sloped sides of the slide. You're right though, the sight itself may not be centered on the sight piece.
For me it looked slightly off visually. I am a Carpenter of near 30 years and have a pretty good eye for space and reveals between pieces. Vernier confirmed this.

I worded it poorly. I marked the center of the sight. It’s relation to the sides was irrelevant at that point. I was moving it relative to itself.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You may be overthinking it. I can't believe your range would not allow you to adjust your sights so it shoots point of aim. Just ask. Adjust, shoot, adjust again if needed. The only way to do it right.

If your range won't let you do that I'd find another range.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The range I use most often will not allow work on a loaded gun at the line other than minor jam clearing. But if you step out to one of the tables with an unloaded gun there is no issue. But I seldom want to adjust sights with a loaded gun anyway.

I will admit that when I'm the only one on the line they have allowed me to do some fiddling but only after they watched my procedures a few times.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The range I use most often will not allow work on a loaded gun at the line other than minor jam clearing. But if you step out to one of the tables with an unloaded gun there is no issue. But I seldom want to adjust sights with a loaded gun anyway.

I will admit that when I'm the only one on the line they have allowed me to do some fiddling but only after they watched my procedures a few times.

I haven't been to a civilian range in years, except for the one here that is an outdoor range and during the week it doesn't have anyone there except for members (I've went as a guest or with some LE buds) and it is what you make it. I'm sure most private ranges are cold ranges. LE ranges are always hot.

My range is in my backyard and I'm the Range Master. Hot range. I've only accidentally shot one 'possum.

I agree, Jar. Don't drift rear sights on a loaded gun at a private range. Take the magazine out and clear the chamber. The ranges have insurance concerns for their regulations.

You may be overthinking it. I can't believe your range would not allow you to adjust your sights so it shoots point of aim. Just ask. Adjust, shoot, adjust again if needed. The only way to do it right.

If your range won't let you do that I'd find another range.

Nope, quite certain.
You are not allowed to make any repairs or adjustments to a firearm at the range other than of course sighting in.

Ranges here I'm sure are quite different. The waiting list to get into many ranges are ridiculous as these are restricted firearms and you must belong to a range to transport or discharge one. Having one in close proximity is a bonus.
Goes without saying the gun should be void of any ammo.

I worded it poorly. I marked the center of the sight. It’s relation to the sides was irrelevant at that point. I was moving it relative to itself.

As a double check I just rechecked my earlier work to both sides of the rear sights to the square and also front sight which I believed was fine (which it was)
Rear sight is now bang on and the test will be at the range.

The reason for the post was to find some method of location given the sloped sides. I guess you all would just eyeball center then adjust at the range then?

Funny, on the job site I'm always quoting Mr. Miyagi "Looka eye" (trust your eye, train your eyes)
Something with this short of radius I would think measurement would help.

1 MOA on a 6“ radius is only about .0017“, so I don’t know but what tap and shoot without measuring is all you need, unless the sights are way off.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nope, quite certain.
You are not allowed to make any repairs or adjustments to a firearm at the range other than of course sighting in.

Ranges here I'm sure are quite different. The waiting list to get into many ranges are ridiculous as these are restricted firearms and you must belong to a range to transport or discharge one. Having one in close proximity is a bonus.
Goes without saying the gun should be void of any ammo.

I'd ask about that bolded thingy. Adjusting the sights is sighting in.

Where do you live? It seems that you are a responsible shooter and you are more than welcome to come here to my range and adjust things.

Although I have seen idiots that have never touched a firearm until they got one a week earlier. They need to be observed and trained before being turned loose. I had one on a firing line turn around and point a loaded one at me. They were not a happy camper after that. They ended up with a martial arts weapon take-away done on them. Twisting it back toward them with their trigger finger trapped in the trigger guard works well as long as you twist it with the muzzle up.

I'm a nice guy, but that I will not with up put. Is that how Baby Yoda would put it?

I'd ask about that bolded thingy. Adjusting the sights is sighting in.

Where do you live? It seems that you are a responsible shooter and you are more than welcome to come here to my range and adjust things.

Although I have seen idiots that have never touched a firearm until they got one a week earlier. They need to be observed and trained before being turned loose. I had one on a firing line turn around and point a loaded one at me. They were not a happy camper after that. They ended up with a martial arts weapon take-away done on them. Twisting it back toward them with their trigger finger trapped in the trigger guard works well as long as you twist it with the muzzle up.

I'm a nice guy, but that I will not with up put. Is that how Baby Yoda would put it?

Very generous Simon1.
Canadian here, I believe what they mean is no making alterations or physically working on a firearm at my range.
It is an indoor range of only 8 lanes so I suppose they don't want people working on them when someone else may be wanting to shoot.
I am ok with some trial and error. The little I had to move the sight should bring the POA slightly left which is what was needed.
Funny, my maiden voyage about a week ago the guy beside my says to me "you shoot that thing pretty good"
I laughed, first time out I says. It was pretty good, but slightly right and the sight looked slightly off prompting the initiative.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@stone and strop does your range have it’s own gunsmith? Most of the local ranges in my neck of the woods have not only a shooting range, but also include a gun sales section and a gunsmith section where people can have their guns repaired. If so, it would be quite easy to ask them to check your fixed sights for center. Might cost ya 5 or 10 bucks.

You go to the range to practice and also ensure that your firearm works as it should.
I can't figure out why would a range not allow you to sight in your firearm as that would form part of "works as it should". Sure - they might have a procedure for doing so, but to stop you altogether!!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Coming off years of shooting on the 1911 platform, my new HK45CT shot a little to the left. That was shooting left-handed. When I switched over to right-handed (I practice both ways) it shot a little to the right. I surmised that it was just the difference in the grip frame and my hold. Built up the grip a little and then she started shooting centers.

@stone and strop does your range have it’s own gunsmith? Most of the local ranges in my neck of the woods have not only a shooting range, but also include a gun sales section and a gunsmith section where people can have their guns repaired. If so, it would be quite easy to ask them to check your fixed sights for center. Might cost ya 5 or 10 bucks.

No, the range I go to has a store as well and they have someone nearby who does small repairs but apparently is not a gunsmith.
There is another store I go to semi-locally that has a true gunsmith if I need it.

I will try this out first to see if all is well. By measurement is was off enough to make a difference.
I plan to get to the range in the next week or so, I will be sure to chime in with how it shoots.

I was just curious how it is measured with sloped sides on the slide.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Although you have already made an adjustment to your front sight, in general, I would usually evaluate how you are gripping the firearm first, ruling out that your grip is not inducing the apparent sighting error. Further, if you are not shooting tiny groups consistently, you probably don't have enough information as to how far your sights are off, if indeed they are off. So in other words, if you are shooting a 2 1/2 in. group at close range and it is low left, it is probably shooter induced. If you are shooting a ragged hole under an inch in diameter and it is still shooting low left, consistently, it's more likely to be that the sights are off. I know I have made sight adjustments in the past, trying to correct for my own deficiencies. I'm a slow learner, but now I know better! To quote the old Pogo comic strip "We have met the enemy and they are Us!"

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Another diagnostic test, how does the gun shoot from a bench rest as compared to shooting without support?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Another diagnostic test, how does the gun shoot from a bench rest as compared to shooting without support?

I really like the bullet shaped lasers and have one in every caliber of every pistol and rifle I own. They chamber just like a bullet and the feed back they give me is awesome.

Not so much for sighting in my guns, but more so I can critique the minor things I’m doing wrong and make those minor adjustments right then and there and be able to recognize immediate improvement.

Once I know my sights are dead on with the laser I only have to look for what I’m doing wrong and improve it with practice.

As I get older, I’m still willing but my eyes and steadiness are beginning to resist.

Last edited:
Although you have already made an adjustment to your front sight, in general, I would usually evaluate how you are gripping the firearm first, ruling out that your grip is not inducing the apparent sighting error. Further, if you are not shooting tiny groups consistently, you probably don't have enough information as to how far your sights are off, if indeed they are off. So in other words, if you are shooting a 2 1/2 in. group at close range and it is low left, it is probably shooter induced. If you are shooting a ragged hole under an inch in diameter and it is still shooting low left, consistently, it's more likely to be that the sights are off. I know I have made sight adjustments in the past, trying to correct for my own deficiencies. I'm a slow learner, but now I know better! To quote the old Pogo comic strip "We have met the enemy and they are Us!"

Actually, I did not adjust the front sight - I adjusted the rear sight.
Visually, for me, this is the sight that looked out. Through measurement it was in fact out. The direction that it was out would produce what I was shooting (slightly right) there is no problem with high or low other than my abilities:). The correction should bring it left. My last target up was a ragged hole about 2" right of center, other than the odd stray (my fault).
I shoot nearly always at 10 yds. I'm a pretty decent shot I think especially for someone pretty new to pistols.
My groupings were pretty consistent, consistent enough that what I see visually with the sight being off maybe had something to do with it as the direction of misalignment would correct what was happening.
The total difference for measurement was about .012 . I would think that if it was under .005 it would not be an issue - that's + or - 2.5 thou.
These are not big numbers and may not make much difference at 10 yds. It now measures 1.5-2 thou difference between sides. Hard to measure accurately. A piece of paper I think is about 6 thou. So 2 pieces of paper width out over 6" sounds like maybe this should help.

I know I'm supposed to sandbag shoot or prop shoot for user error sake which I did not do but will do if ever this presents itself again.
You guys have me jonesin to get to the range and shoot this damn thing!!

1) HK model?
Is it pistol or rifle
2) ammo used (this might shift your poi)
3) distance you want to zero it

Windage usually by moving back sight....

You can also zero at home using a laser bore sighter..... and then verify at range

You can zero on a bench rest, but then it may shift freehanded.....

Top Bottom