LeCoq with new neck and cap
Valet modifed for GEM blades and new handle
GEM Jr with new handle
Gillette Rocket head on US Superspeed handle
Wilkinson Sticky with wood handle
All brass Schick injector
Adjustable Flare tips
Swing AB base plate combined with Single ring and ball end parts
IMG_6207.JPGIMG_6139.JPGIMG_4327.JPGIMG_6593.JPGIMG_6640.JPGIMG_6175.JPGIMG_6108.JPG12.jpg83795C77-C25B-41EB-BF9A-A6C5EEE48B61.jpgIMG_6131.JPG

Here's my Frankenrazors.

Left side - consists of a stainless steel razor rock handle, Gillette old type thick cap, and Razor Co. Roller gaurd.

Right side - a Gillette Dictator I made.
Consists of the handle from a Gillette Aristocrat and the head of a Gillette Sheraton.
20210102_102649.jpg

R

romsitsa

Here's my Frankenrazors.

Left side - consists of a stainless steel razor rock handle, Gillette old type thick cap, and Razor Co. Roller gaurd.

Right side - a Gillette Dictator I made.
Consists of the handle from a Gillette Aristocrat and the head of a Gillette Sheraton.
View attachment 1203291

How did you remove the crimp of the Sheraton? I have a build idea, but the crimp looks wider than the usual, so didn't want to completely mess it up.

Ty!

Those Tech ball handles are extremely skinny. I prefer the fat Tech handles (like @FarmerTan 's above), but some guys like to add weight to them.

Handles are a huge part of the YMMV part of different razors. Having used a Merkur 36 and a Gillette Old Type in rotation for decades I am completely trained on short/light/skinny.

Flip side - I'm a klutz with the most common handles sold these days, 1/2" x 4" (or 3.75").

I hadn't thought about how the "dinky" handles on vintage razors are a barrier for shavers who learn and like the current designs. If I handed you my shortest Ever-Ready Shovelhead handle you would think it was a toothpick.
The shovelhead handles are crazy small! I was quite surprised the first time I saw one in person. I got a shovelhead nos (somewhat) recently and its handle has very fresh grippy feeling knurling and I'm adjusting quickly.

How did you remove the crimp of the Sheraton? I have a build idea, but the crimp looks wider than the usual, so didn't want to completely mess it up.

Ty!
I think I may have just got lucky with forced/pressure fit, if you're referring to the fit of the handle to the base plate.
But that is just the beginning of what all I had to do to make this razor.
I first bought a huge lot of for parts Gillette safety razors to practice on. Come to find out that the screw in the bottom of the handle is most is made of a soft and easy to break metal.
I ended up having to redo/lengthen the threads on the riser rod to make things work.
Unfortunately the left over pieces from the Aristocrat and Sheraton were completely destroyed beyond use.
This was the first time that I ever tried something like this and will probably be the last. Not an easy project for me, and one that I wasn't originally sure I was going to be able to finish it once started.

R

romsitsa

I think I may have just got lucky with forced/pressure fit, if you're referring to the fit of the handle to the base plate.
But that is just the beginning of what all I had to do to make this razor.
I first bought a huge lot of for parts Gillette safety razors to practice on. Come to find out that the screw in the bottom of the handle is most is made of a soft and easy to break metal.
I ended up having to redo/lengthen the threads on the riser rod to make things work.
Unfortunately the left over pieces from the Aristocrat and Sheraton were completely destroyed beyond use.
This was the first time that I ever tried something like this and will probably be the last. Not an easy project for me, and one that I wasn't originally sure I was going to be able to finish it once started.

Yes, the early US TTO models have a flat "disc" while later ones a thin ring. So figured there will be an impression left after the swap.
Had the same length issue with the Rocket. Went the easy way and kept the original Ss rod and riveted on the Rocket T-bar...

Top Bottom