What's new

Show Your Handles And Frankenrazors

Since there isn't a one size fits all safety razor and some us just can't leave well enough alone I thought that I would start a thread where we can show off changes we have made to our razors.. So this is the place to show your jury rigged, customized and outlandish razors that some of us make changes to improve handling, aesthetics or just because we wondered what would happen if we put this piece from this razor to that piece from another (in the name of shaving science!). Tell us how it worked for you and did it accomplish the goal that you were seeking. I will start off a couple of mild changes. I have a couple of post war Techs and a Gillette Heritage razor (Muhle R89) that came with short thin handles. I have large hands so shaving with these razors wasn't enjoyable. I felt like I didn't have proper control of the razors. I ordered a couple of stainless steel handles from WCS and this morning I tried the 79S handle on the Heritage head and it gave me the best shave that I have had from that razor. (far right razor in the photo, excellent grip) Soon I will test the WCS 78S head on the Tech. This photo shows the handles on the razors next to the original handles. I also included a fully assembled Tech for comparison.
WCS Handles.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here you go, EMIR Karl Engels handle, Fatip comb, Merkur cap

full

Defective Fatip cap led to a Merkur part which then wouldn't thread into the Fatip handle so I used a vintage German short handle.
Emertip?

Here you go, EMIR Karl Engels handle, Fatip comb, Merkur cap

full

Defective Fatip cap led to a Merkur part which then wouldn't thread into the Fatip handle so I used a vintage German short handle.
Truly a one of a kind. How does it shave? Does it shave better than than the Fatip or Merkur original razors?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll try. I really do have a constantly bleeding brain and early dementia. (I'm lots of fun in social settings; ask my wife. I dare ya.)

Head is from a NEW Long Comb, from @Tanuki . The handle is from a fat handled Tech from @L.A. Jones .... It is truly perfect.

If they could be sold like this today it would easily take $200 from most guys or gals wallets.

I really do have a constantly bleeding brain and early dementia. (I'm lots of fun in social settings; ask my wife. I dare ya.)
You and I would be a hoot talking to each other. I have 40% hearing loss with 100% comprehension loss in the left ear. I am constantly replying to statements I thought I heard. I know I’ve made another fox paw when people start laughing and MrsOkie hides her face. Then there is the forgetfulness...what were we talking about?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use all kinds of different handles on my various razors. Never called just a handle a Frankenrazor.

Frankenrazor, to me, is mixing top caps and baseplates from different razors and/or manufacturers - plus the handle, of course.

Here are some past threads discussing Frankenrazors:

Here are some of my Frankenrazor shaves:

Frankenrazor (WCS Lithe cap, Schöne plate, rusdrunkbear Handlebar handle)
frankenrazor 20201003.jpg

Frankenrazor (Yaqi Mellon 'SLOC-Style' Top Cap, Executive Shaving Braveheart Baseplate, Russian TiBam Handle)
frankenrazor 20200121.jpg

20200116 & 20200117 (Travel Kit)
Frankenrazor: P0D4 Razor + Merkur Top Cap
frankenrazor travel 20200116 20200117.jpg

There are more. ;)

I do like Frankenrazors. :cool:

I use all kinds of different handles on my various razors. Never called just a handle a Frankenrazor.

Frankenrazor, to me, is mixing top caps and baseplates from different razors and/or manufacturers - plus the handle, of course.

Here are some past threads discussing Frankenrazors:

Here are some of my Frankenrazor shaves:

Frankenrazor (WCS Lithe cap, Schöne plate, rusdrunkbear Handlebar handle)
View attachment 1202926

Frankenrazor (Yaqi Mellon 'SLOC-Style' Top Cap, Executive Shaving Braveheart Baseplate, Russian TiBam Handle)
View attachment 1202929

20200116 & 20200117 (Travel Kit)
Frankenrazor: P0D4 Razor + Merkur Top Cap
View attachment 1202930

There are more. ;)

I do like Frankenrazors. :cool:

Yeah I don't consider a different handle on a razor a Frankenrazor either. But it just kind of went with the themes of switching parts on razors. That first razor you showed looks scary to me!

Oooohhh, handle switching is my sweet spot. I like them short, light, and skinny.

Here we go. All heads are currently on these handles, except I wanted to show all the handles I regularly use on my beloved Wunderbars. And I put the only non-Fatip M4.5 handle I have onto my FOCS head. I usually use my FOCS on a Piccolo handle.

The studio crowded with models:
7C898FE1-F9F0-4547-93C7-C7958CCDE870.jpeg

Wunderbar, cut down RazoRock Ti Halo:
DBE4C7C1-26A0-4B1F-9BFA-337853D00D84.jpeg

Wunderbar, TiBam handle:
20DA57BA-628B-4B75-A37E-54F734A79193.jpeg

Wunderbar, rusdrunkbear Ti handle:
3419C64D-C1DC-41E7-8F9A-3FAC6AA5BAC4.jpeg

Wunderbar, TiBam handle:
2465DB78-D874-4AB6-84B0-939F476E9947.jpeg

Oooohhh, handle switching is my sweet spot. I like them short, light, and skinny.

Here we go. All heads are currently on these handles, except I wanted to show all the handles I regularly use on my beloved Wunderbars. And I put the only non-Fatip M4.5 handle I have onto my FOCS head. I usually use my FOCS on a Piccolo handle.

The studio crowded with models:
View attachment 1202965

Wunderbar, cut down RazoRock Ti Halo:
View attachment 1202967
Wunderbar, TiBam handle:
View attachment 1202966
Wunderbar, rusdrunkbear Ti handle:
View attachment 1202968
Wunderbar, TiBam handle:
View attachment 1202969
Those are some nice handles! It just goes to show ya that everything shaving related is YMMV. I like my handles a little longer, and heavier and a more medium diameter.

There are more! I have:
4 spare short/skinny Merkur chromed brass handles
2 spare Geisen&Forstoff stainless handles
and a variety of unassigned larger stainless handles from RazoRock, iKon, Rockwell, Fendrihan etc.

Merkur handle on RazoRock German 37head. A pseudo Merkur 36.
F8712758-FD5D-4542-A274-96F5CCF2D85A.jpeg

rusdrunkbear Ti handle on MinGoose head
F71F769A-1BEF-460A-8418-043EBC865021.jpeg

Geisen&Forstoff SS handle on ATT S2:
C1562E52-E272-483A-9F0A-62AA0EE36646.jpeg

Silver Tuckaway handle on thin cap Old Type:
FE01C0E4-25FC-433E-AFD8-5A17D3EA6F5C.jpeg

Merkur on ATT R2:
63CA277B-1EEC-40D4-8097-E8BC9A41B3B2.jpeg

RazoRock JAWS on my second cut down Ti Halo:
28B46E28-FDC4-4FE8-B8D1-DB6C839A8E9B.jpeg

Fatip open comb slant on a Leresche cheapie M4.5 handle:
AA04E3CB-5F77-40E6-85C0-861720F7B78D.jpeg

Those are some nice handles! It just goes to show ya that everything shaving related is YMMV. I like my handles a little longer, and heavier and a more medium diameter.

Thanks! Just FYI, the Parker semi-slant comes on a nice handle that is probably right up your alley. One of my longest, heaviest, and it comes with a very nice slant head.

That 79S handle looks quite full-sized as well!

That 79S handle looks quite full-sized as well!

It is just short of 4 inches long and weighs 79 grams. I think if it was a 1/4 inch shorter it would be perfect but I found it very comfortable to use. It is difficult to explain but short handles are harder for me to control. Same with narrow handles, the ball handle that came with the Tech is way too skinny. I don't feel comfortable using short skinny handles, kind of like leaning over the railing when your on a tall bridge.

It is just short of 4 inches long and weighs 79 grams. I think if it was a 1/4 inch shorter it would be perfect but I found it very comfortable to use. It is difficult to explain but short handles are harder for me to control. Same with narrow handles, the ball handle that came with the Tech is way too skinny. I don't feel comfortable using short skinny handles, kind of like leaning over the railing when your on a tall bridge.

Those Tech ball handles are extremely skinny. I prefer the fat Tech handles (like @FarmerTan 's above), but some guys like to add weight to them.

Handles are a huge part of the YMMV part of different razors. Having used a Merkur 36 and a Gillette Old Type in rotation for decades I am completely trained on short/light/skinny.

Flip side - I'm a klutz with the most common handles sold these days, 1/2" x 4" (or 3.75").

I hadn't thought about how the "dinky" handles on vintage razors are a barrier for shavers who learn and like the current designs. If I handed you my shortest Ever-Ready Shovelhead handle you would think it was a toothpick.

Top Bottom