What's new

Show us your butterscotch brushes!

FF4CA94D-5BEE-4408-A110-378401D3B764.jpeg

Always like seeing people restoring these old butterscotch beauties. As great as Simpson styles are, seeing 99.99% of brushes made today be a knockoff of a Simpson style does make me appreciate the character of the handles that aren't.

Rescued this vintage Butterscotch Catalin (Bakelite) treasure from an old antique barn in Saugatuck, Michigan!

The lettering is quite faint but clearly shows the Rexall Drug "Klenzo" logo and model # B-1354, as well as "Set in Rubber" and "Made in U.S.A."

Interestingly, the lettering is "upside down" (based on how lettering typically appears on brushes)... I guess that just adds to the mystique and appeal of this beauty!

The Bakelite handle has a very rich, deep, even, and slightly marbled butterscotch coloration with no overly light or dark patches. This handle is quite heavy (dense) for its size and feels great in the hand, and it has that characteristic Bakelite odor when rubbed! There are no chips or cracks whatsoever and no deep scratches or pits. This vintage lady should buff up quite nicely!!!

I am planning to have this brush restored (ever so gently polished up) and re-knotted with a high-quality, SHD, two-band silver-tip badger knot! I just think that the dark colored, lower portion of a two-band will contrast superbly next to the rich authentic butterscotch coloration of this vintage handle.

Fan or bulb knot? Hmmmm,... this I must ponder....

Klenzo B-1354 Butterscotch.jpg

Top Bottom