What's new

Should you be “committed” to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

Which category do you fall under?

• Total voters
I don't display my razors from biggest to small or by brand. I align the razors in my current rotation in a test tube rack by ascetically pleasing geometric patterns. If I step back and it doesn't appeal to me I will re-arrange. The same goes for my brush stand though my boars need to be on one side and piggies on the other. If the pattern is not symmetrical pleasing and is off a bit I will align it until my mind is satisfied. After I clean my brushes I will wet my finger under running water and make sure there are no hairs sticking out. Then I let the brush dry. I then stick the brush in an saved toilet paper role for about an hour. That way it cures any "bloom" and it looks the way it did when I bought it. This works especially well on boars.

I stock pile supplies. This saves me money where I never have to buy shaving equipment or product. This frees up my money to buy more shaving supplies and equipment thus saving me money.

I never manually align the blade edge even with the top cap on my slants. I place a hand towel on the sink with the top cap on it. I simply place the blade on the top cap, base plate on top, and tighten the handle. If the blade exposure is larger at one end and smaller at the other, and the same on the opposite side I know I did it right. It shaves better that way, and I'm absolutely certain to simply load the blade without a complicated method was the way intended. It's bad marketing to design a product with overly complicated steps when competing products do not. My rule of thumb on slants: Drop, tighten, and go!

I shave with a steep angle, and zero pressure, although sound advice for newbies starting out, ultimately is for wimps.

Oh, and blade rigidity in razors matters.

:letterk1:
My man!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't display my razors from biggest to small or by brand. I align the razors in my current rotation in a test tube rack by ascetically pleasing geometric patterns. If I step back and it doesn't appeal to me I will re-arrange. The same goes for my brush stand though my boars need to be on one side and piggies on the other. If the pattern is not symmetrical pleasing and is off a bit I will align it until my mind is satisfied. After I clean my brushes I will wet my finger under running water and make sure there are no hairs sticking out. Then I let the brush dry. I then stick the brush in an saved toilet paper role for about an hour. That way it cures any "bloom" and it looks the way it did when I bought it. This works especially well on boars.

I stock pile supplies. This saves me money where I never have to buy shaving equipment or product. This frees up my money to buy more shaving supplies and equipment thus saving me money.

I never manually align the blade edge even with the top cap on my slants. I place a hand towel on the sink with the top cap on it. I simply place the blade on the top cap, base plate on top, and tighten the handle. If the blade exposure is larger at one end and smaller at the other, and the same on the opposite side I know I did it right. It shaves better that way, and I'm absolutely certain to simply load the blade without a complicated method was the way intended. It's bad marketing to design a product with overly complicated steps when competing products do not. My rule of thumb on slants: Drop, tighten, and go!

I shave with a steep angle, and zero pressure, although sound advice for newbies starting out, ultimately is for wimps.

Oh, and blade rigidity in razors matters.

:letterk1:

Serious problems here.

You want to be the Medical Director of this asylum?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am so bummed out because I'm having to return my Schöne Italian DE OC razor.

This morning I discovered the handle wouldn't tighten completely and thus secure the cap, blade, and bottom plate. The gap was like maybe half an inch. The blade and bottom plate were floating.

It seemed tight yesterday. Maybe I cross threaded it or something this morning although that's doubtful. I may be crazy but I know how to screw a handle onto a razor.

The thing is maybe I should resign my membership because I didn't shave with it this morning anyway?

Also, it occurs to me that the members of this brotherhood | asylum might actually not be allowed to have razors.

Maybe that's what happened to my Schöne. Maybe I lost my razor privileges?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The thing is maybe I should resign my membership because I didn't shave with it this morning anyway?

Also, it occurs to me that the members of this brotherhood | asylum might actually not be allowed to have razors.

The thing is your logic IS impeccably Crazy therefore you do belong here, and in the asylum they were allowed the Gillette Psycho. Here in the world at large, free and loose to our own devices, we are too crazy to not know any better. This all smacks of a Catch 22, and I'm sorry to say I think your locked into the long hall. If not it would only prove you're crazier than the rest of us combined.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Wait, What!
I'm crazy so I don't have to explain, but I will because I am. I'm covered for pretty much the rest of my life in shaving gear and supplies. I never have to spend another dime to shave. Therefore I'm free to spend whatever I desire on shaving because I've already saved all the money I possibly can. I have the savings part in the proverbial bag so to speak. Anything else is free and clear. As convoluted as this may sound it makes perfect sense to me. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it. :w00t:

Last edited:
I am so bummed out because I'm having to return my Schöne Italian DE OC razor.

This morning I discovered the handle wouldn't tighten completely and thus secure the cap, blade, and bottom plate. The gap was like maybe half an inch. The blade and bottom plate were floating.

It seemed tight yesterday. Maybe I cross threaded it or something this morning although that's doubtful. I may be crazy but I know how to screw a handle onto a razor.

You can have razors only they have to be psycho razors with the key.

And the bad thread in your Schone explains why you've been having a tough time with it. I'd be patient and wait for Schone to send you a new one. They really are good razors. You'll see.

I was doing just fine till I became AS stew, now my old standbys seem dull. I also let my soaps get a bit out of hand, and the blades. I'm fine at four razors, no plans to explore further (of course, I bought two over the last year or so). I once considered myself a minimalist, but I can't pretend to be any long. I'm powerless over shaving gear, and my den has become unmanageable! :wink2:

For 40+ years I struggled with one soap, one razor, one blade, maybe an aftershave, at a time. Stumbled into the B&B a couple years ago looking for a new soap.

I really hate you guys!
:jump:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm crazy so I don't have to explain, but I will because I am. I'm covered for pretty much the rest of my life in shaving gear and supplies. I never have to spend another dime to shave. Therefore I'm free to spend whatever I desire on shaving because I've already saved all the money I possibly can. I have the savings part in the proverbial bag so to speak. Anything else is free and clear. As convoluted as this may sound it makes perfect sense to me. That's my logic and I'm sticking to it. :w00t:

This makes perfect sense to me.

However, when I spend money on a new gun or something my wife then concludes she can, because I spent money, buy herself some jewelry to balance things out in the spending department. She doesn't understand how we don't still have the money I already spent on the gun.

That's bad enough, but...

She doesn't understand at all that I'm really saving a lot of money by shaving with modern and vintage safety razors, and boar and synthetic brushes, and a stack of soaps, and that I really, really need nice shaving bowls, and, well, you know the drill...

I'd better stop while I still know what I'm talking about if I still do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This makes perfect sense to me.

However, when I spend money on a new gun or something my wife then concludes she can, because I spent money, buy herself some jewelry to balance things out in the spending department. She doesn't understand how we don't still have the money I already spent on the gun.

That's bad enough, but...

She doesn't understand at all that I'm really saving a lot of money by shaving with modern and vintage safety razors, and boar and synthetic brushes, and a stack of soaps, and that I really, really need nice shaving bowls, and, well, you know the drill...

I'd better stop while I still know what I'm talking about if I still do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, your wife is secretly monitoring this website and is on to you. You need to put your computer on stealth mode and type in disappearing ink so she doesn't know what you are saying.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, your wife is secretly monitoring this website and is on to you. You need to put your computer on stealth mode and type in disappearing ink so she doesn't know what you are saying.

Please tell that's not true! I'm paranoid enough.

The disappearing ink is a great idea. Let me know what you think about the rest of my post t

I get it now. Vicious, Ugly Circle of perfection! Oh boy, I am stocking up already. I think I am more than sticking my toe in the water!:001_cool:

Top Bottom