What's new

Should I rescale this double duck goldedge pearlduck?

The problem I'm having with wonderful razor. Almost every time I try to close the blade it bumps into the scale. Im a newbie and, I shave with this razor everyday. I love the blade, and have no problem with the staight corner. I want to keep this but Im thinking about putting new scales on it. I was thinking about a clear Yellowish acrylic scales on it ( a more modern look) I can tell by the upper pin that this has had some work done to it. Can anyone tell me other than the top pin, is this the origanal scales? If it is at the very least can I send it somewhere to stop the blade from hitting the scales. Secondly what would you do if you had the same problem.
I really love this site, and I have learned so much. Since my purchase of said razor I have been wet shaving everyday, and love it. It reminds me of watching my grandfather as a young boy.
Thanks for all you help!
VBcgQB6mRrSDwtTe+vmVsw.jpg

The problem I'm having with wonderful razor. Almost every time I try to close the blade it bumps into the scale. Im a newbie and, I shave with this razor everyday. I love the blade, and have no problem with the staight corner. I want to keep this but Im thinking about putting new scales on it. I was thinking about a clear Yellowish acrylic scales on it ( a more modern look) I can tell by the upper pin that this has had some work done to it. Can anyone tell me other than the top pin, is this the origanal scales? If it is at the very least can I send it somewhere to stop the blade from hitting the scales. Secondly what would you do if you had the same problem.
I really love this site, and I have learned so much. Since my purchase of said razor I have been wet shaving everyday, and love it. It reminds me of watching my grandfather as a young boy.
Thanks for all you help!View attachment 966170

Hi Sir and welcome...

You can ajust with the pivot pin. As for the scales nope they should look like this

1.jpg

if you want original scales your better looking on the the bay, for one that has a damaged blade but the scales are good there was one about 3 weeks ago. I dont think it sold but its still there as a buy it now, for $30 and the blade is in poor shape you could use that for the scales for yours as your blade is in good shape.....

Look for ones with broken blades, not partially rusted blades. Rust could be a sign of celluloid rot in the scales. Sick scales would likely damage the blade you put in them as well.

Are they bone scales? If so, I'd consider keeping them. You may be able to adjust them by adding an extra pivot washer on one side; not the cleanest fix but it'll work.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You can sand the inner face of the scales selectively, to steer the razor in between the scales better. On the scale that the razor is hitting, sand from the pivot hole out to the small end. On the other scale, sand from the pivot hole toward the middle portion of the scale. Re pin, temporarily, to check for centering. If you use a size 0 bolt and nut from www.microfasteners.com you can do several trial pinnings and get it exactly right, then pin it for real with nickel-silver rod. You can buy pinning kits for a single razor or for several, that will include the washers, flat or domed. Adding a washer is sometimes all you need to do but is to me very inelegant and kludgy. I don't put washers inside my scales at all.

Check the Revisor site for factory scales. I got some NOS Filharmonica scales from them a while back and I have seen DD scales, too. Maggards has nice G10 and other laminates. There are a few other vendors I just can't think of right now.

You can sand the inner face of the scales selectively, to steer the razor in between the scales better. On the scale that the razor is hitting, sand from the pivot hole out to the small end. On the other scale, sand from the pivot hole toward the middle portion of the scale. Re pin, temporarily, to check for centering. If you use a size 0 bolt and nut from www.microfasteners.com you can do several trial pinnings and get it exactly right, then pin it for real with nickel-silver rod. You can buy pinning kits for a single razor or for several, that will include the washers, flat or domed. Adding a washer is sometimes all you need to do but is to me very inelegant and kludgy. I don't put washers inside my scales at all.

Check the Revisor site for factory scales. I got some NOS Filharmonica scales from them a while back and I have seen DD scales, too. Maggards has nice G10 and other laminates. There are a few other vendors I just can't think of right now.
Thanks for your help.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I had another look at your pic. It appears that it is already pinned with a bolt. Perhaps you can simply reuse that one. Carefully remove it, sand, reinstall bolt. Bottom line, nothing to buy. When it is all said and done, you can secure the nut if desired with a TINY amount of Loctite Blue. (not red.... you would end up twisting the bolt in two, to tighten it more.) Or gently peen the bolt end into the nut. Anyway the end result will make the razor in the existing scales much more usable, while you shop around for a pair of original DDGE scales, if desired. I think such a hunt would be worthwhile.

Thanks for your help.

It came with the washer on it . Im not a big fan of it as well. I love the blade. I
I had another look at your pic. It appears that it is already pinned with a bolt. Perhaps you can simply reuse that one. Carefully remove it, sand, reinstall bolt. Bottom line, nothing to buy. When it is all said and done, you can secure the nut if desired with a TINY amount of Loctite Blue. (not red.... you would end up twisting the bolt in two, to tighten it more.) Or gently peen the bolt end into the nut. Anyway the end result will make the razor in the existing scales much more usable, while you shop around for a pair of original DDGE scales, if desired. I think such a hunt would be worthwhile.

Thanks I thought of that as well, but i think that the blade deserves a better home! Ive really enjoyed this education, process, and experience of shaving with a straight razor. Its like eating bread, do you want to eat the bread that goes bad after 3 weeks , or eat the good bread thats hot and fresh that will get hard as arock after a day. Im eating the good bread.
thanks agian!

I would send it to someone that does good restore work on straight razors. Someone could probably sand the inside of the scales so the razor shuts correctly. Even when you have a razor shutting in the center though need to be a little carefull when shutting it. GL with your razor, having razors that don't shut in the center really bugs me as well

I would send it to someone that does good restore work on straight razors. Someone could probably sand the inside of the scales so the razor shuts correctly. Even when you have a razor shutting in the center though need to be a little carefull when shutting it. GL with your razor, having razors that don't shut in the center really bugs me as well

Thanks

The "donor" goldedge is still on eBay. I would definitely buy it and clean and polish your blade clean and buff the scales and rescale it. It will look amazing after doing that.

I did the same. My thoughts seam to go from original to modern. I know this either way, I love the blade! After wet shaving for weeks, I would find it hard to go back to the M3. Today was the first day I didn't nick myself. I just had AOS Thiers-Issard honed ( carbon / with SS scales.) Great shave! its just a little heavy to strop. I think I might find some modern scales with a little less weight.
Thanks for the Help!

Top Bottom