What's new

Shop Made Razor Handle

You big game hunter guys might get a kick out of this razor handle I made from a deactivated .416 Rigby cartridge. I weighted and balanced it to match my Merkur 38C, so it has a nice heft and feel.
.416 Rigby Razor Handle 1.JPG
.416 Rigby Razor Handle 4.JPG

Unless somebody else has made one like it, this is the only one! The .416 Rigby is a nice big fat, long cartridge. It dwarfs a .30-'06. Makes a razor handle just the right size and length. That's a 400 grain round-nose soft point bullet. I turned up a 10-32 threaded adapter on the lathe, bored out the bullet and bonded in the adapter. Piece of cake.

I have a CZ550 in .416 Rigby -- the American Safari version. I have in mind dolling it up a little, as the factory stock is a bit clunky. Shoots nice. Strong recoil, but manageable. A classic caliber -- of course!! At one time I thought I might shoot an elephant with it. The desire to do that has left me. I've seen enough dead animals and I can't likely eat an elephant. Nowadays I stick to upland birds and waterfowl.

Cheers!
Tony

CZs are terrific. I’ve had a few 22s over the years. Each was extremely accurate (with the right ammo) and beauties to look at. My 1012 12ga is another fine example of CZ craftsmanship.

Did you remove the powder? I'd be careful about dropping that razor!
Yes, of course, as noted. I started with a new case, never been loaded - never any powder in it. I could have started with an empty case that had been fired, but I wanted a nice clean un-marked case. .416 Rigby cases are not inexpensive as new cases go. New un-fired empty cases can cost almost $5 each. By the way, a box of 25 loaded .416 Rigby's is about $200 these days. The case is filled in a certain pattern, with epoxy and lead shot to get the weight and the balance the way I wanted it, and so the weight would be solid and never move around inside the case -- so the case is full of inert stuff. The key thing is deactivating the primer. I wanted the primer to look like a new, unfired one. I have my tricky, secret and proven ways to safely deactivate a new primer. It's not something an inexperienced person should do. Primers are little explosive devices meant to go off when given a good stout shock. They can hurt you. You don't want to start picking one apart -- especially without being aware of what is inside them, which also tends to be fairly toxic.

Cheers!

Top Bottom