What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
WHAT HAVE I DONE!

[/URL]

You see, it all started when I watched this video about bulling shoes...

[/URL]

It seemed like a good thing to do and gave your shoes a great finish on the captoe. So I decided I would do some of my shoes. One night, I shined one pair. Another night, another pair.

The wife is starting to :glare: .

Another night, another pair. Mrs. Gold tells me that the smell of the shoe polish is giving her a headache. :rolleyes:

Another night, another pair. I can't stop. More :glare:'s.

My arms are starting to get tired from shining shoes. I need some help. I need a valet. I need a....

SHINE BUTLER!

That's right a shine butler. So I go out to my nearest shoe repair joint and get a shine butler. I go into the deep recesses of the unfinished section of my basement and BAM!

2 screws into a 2x4 and my shoe shine stand is in business. :punk:

[/URL]

I begin a covert operation :shifty: and start to bring all the shoe shine accoutrements down into the basement. Brushes, clothes, waxes, polishes, leather conditioners, t-shirts...

BUT WAIT!!! Sssssh. Quiet...

Mrs. Gold: Honey, what are you doing down there?

Johnniegold: :scared: Nothing honey. Just killing some spiders.

Mrs. Gold: Oh, well that's good then.

Johnniegold: :w00t:

Now, to get situated...

[/URL]

[/URL]

And now the work begins...

Bulling a pair of Johnston & Murphy shoes from their now discontinued Estate Collection:

The shoe on left has already been bulled while the one on the right has not.

[/URL]

BEFORE BULLING...

[/URL]

AFTER BULLING...

[/URL]

FINISHED...

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

So there you have it. The Shine Butler. Honestly, it is a very relaxing process. Throw on some nice jazz records and it is a nice way to get something important done, like polishing a pair of shoes. :yesnod:

Mrs Gold: Are you still killing spiders down there?

Johnniegold: Be right up, honey. :001_smile

She's so cute. :biggrin:

Btw, Henry, if you send me your shoe collection, I promise I will treat them with the utmost care. My shoe shines usually have a turnaround time of 2-3 years. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! I've got a touch of it too. Love shining my shoes, so relaxing. You've given me something to aspire to.

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
We should list the shoes we are polishing and the music we are listening to.

Shoe: J&M Captoe from the Estate Collection
Music: Nefertiti - Miles Davis
[/URL]

:cool:

I have researched the butler before. I finished off my garage this winter and have been meaning to order one to attach to my work bench. With the positive review will definitely be taking the plunge

question - it swings out of the way when not in use, correct?

Last edited:

strop

Moderator Emeritus
My grandfather had a shoe butler on the wall in his basement. Sadly, I was not old enough to appreciate it when the old home was sold. Lots of things in that basement that I remember that i wish I had now.

professorchaos

Moderator Emeritus
Holy shine Batman! You could use those for shaving instead of a mirror.

I understand this disorder.....this a partial collection....
]
That makes me feel better about my disorder.

Or you have a really big family. :eek:

That picture never ceases to amaze me.

Btw, some of the those are not worthy of your moniker.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what they look like under the dust :001_smile

Funny, I've never heard the term bulling. I thought that was just how you shined shoes. I guess since I learned in the military, that's why. How else do you shine a shoe?

Wow Mark, I need to show that pic to my wife. And she thinks I have a lot of shoes.

Johnny, if your wife is like mine, she'll call the exterminator if she thinks there's more than a bug or two in our house.

Better work on your backup plan.

mark the shoeshine boy

Moderator Emeritus
I am currently thinning the herd....first the closet and then the basement....this picture is older, and the dust that you see is because of lack of rotation...if I had a good rotation, it would a bout a 90 day one....the 15 pair that I settled on now are all worthy of my name....in fact two guys at work look at me shoes daily and shake their heads....

I have a reputation of shined shoes, shaved face, pressed clothes and topped off with a fedora (beaver or straw)....

I am proud to find others that take the time to spit shine the toes and stand out in a crowd....let me warn you guys though, if you have a shoe with one long piece of smooth leather, bullying them from toe to heel is a real treat, like the hood of a show car....now that is the advanced stages of this sickness....

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
Bob, I have to ask...what's up with the Bvlgari stuff on the bottom shelf?
The overflow hits the basement.

I am proud to find others that take the time to spit shine the toes and stand out in a crowd.
[/URL]

Here is the ticket - this model folds flat against the wall when not in use!

http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Shoe_Shine_Butler_p/shoe-shine-butler.htm
This is the way the one I have folds...