What's new

Wade & Butcher FBU Shorty Restoration

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This has been a project that’s been on my bench for a year. As usual, a flea market score but I knew the steel was a hot mess. Even if everything was junk, for $5, I had a branded large W&B Coffin. It wasn’t until a few days later when I gave it an evaluation that I realized there was potential. And if all went into the craper, I would have a few good spare parts for inventory. That’s when I made this post

Wade & Butcher FBU Shorty - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/wade-butcher-fbu-shorty.640209/

Once I broke it down, the scales and domed washers will be reused on some other chopper. The rust will be the biggest headache. Luckily the worst is in the upper half, spine, and tang. gave it a soak in kerosene for a few weeks to try loosen and soften up the rust. Started sanding with 220 WD and the rust just laughed. Had to use some 80 WD. Never used that course grit on a razor before but it did the job. As I worked my way up in grit is when I realized how deep the pitting will be. Once again, luckily on the spine and tang so it has extra personality. The blade cleaned up with much less difficulty. Finished up with 600 and went to the buffing wheels. Looked at the before pictures, not bad, hard part over. Now for the scales. Used black horn spear points for the raw material and made a pattern following the original geometry and lines. Had a lead wedge from a earlier restore that was a perfect fit. To keep the look original, another first for me, I purchased some stepped dome washers on eBay. Never used these aftermarket washers before so I spent some time to figure out how many spacers to put inside so they did not collapse under the force of pinning. Brass washers and pin stock to complete the look. While setting the bevel, I came across a Sheffield twist in the steel. The bevel is heavier on the heel on one side and the toe on the other. Besides dealing with some pitting and crumbling steel in spots, took a edge and is shaving hair. Just got to get out the finishing stones but that’s another day project. After sitting on my work table for a year waiting for inspiration, this was a fun restoration and recovery. Started out as a 9/8 and finished at 8/8 and feels comfortable, balanced holding in the hand

17A3D7EC-E2DC-40EF-A54A-1236A7038DB8.png
BEAC3D1A-3A80-4EEC-9D4C-A4ED63A7F98C.png
6F3A07A8-254B-468C-A4A5-20F8C316371C.png
99B3AB3B-95E2-4CE7-982E-8D5E88B6CD99.png
250BB565-EFD5-4EDC-A180-1AC40CC3D4B6.png
8E0D5A24-E318-4C2A-81E3-6879D4E2255F.jpeg
4A4F2514-9A0F-4002-90B3-D9C4C2FD0155.jpeg
EA6E9A42-A39F-40AC-B91D-3F7BDCB8932B.jpeg
7A0AC39A-BAAE-45B9-B276-5E8962B8D18B.jpeg
37CA1713-C32F-4331-B451-4D3FAEAE888A.jpeg
 
Top Bottom