What's new

Shim on KCG with KCG blades

Dear fellow shavers,

As posted in other threads I am a newbie DE shaver. I have the KCG with KCG blades. Great combo that’s fairly consistent in achieving BBS’s.

I was wondering if the efficiency of the razor would improve if i used a shim rather than going for another razor all together. And i know that that is just a matter of doing it - i have made the shim already too.

I was just wondering if other gents have experience in shimming the KCG with KCG blades. Again, understanding the YMMV point of view.

Maybe too specific a question but i appreciate multiple views.

Thanks,

Guido

I shimmed my KCG once just to try it. It did make it much more efficient and more aggressive. I'd say it's not as aggressive as an R41 but since you're a newbie just be careful with it and you'll be fine. Lot's of shimming information in this thread -

I am a fan of shimming. It is a very inexpensive way to increase blade gap and efficiency without having to purchase a new razor. I have not shimmed KCG blades, but I do use a shim in the KCG razor. Two shims in a Gillette Tech make it perfect for me.

Many vintage blades are no fun to shave with, but the thicker blade makes a great shim, and they look cool too. Just make sure to dry them well to prevent rusting.

I shimmed my KCG once just to try it. It did make it much more efficient and more aggressive. I'd say it's not as aggressive as an R41 but since you're a newbie just be careful with it and you'll be fine. Lot's of shimming information in this thread -
Thanks! Hmmm..you comparing it to a R41 gives me goose bumps. I am now in my 4th month of DE shaving. Haha. Ok I will give it one shot yes - I shave daily but somehow my stubble is somewhat coarse, but I am as fine without. The result is there without the shim that is. Tomorrow is new blade day anyway.

So when you say more efficient and i assuming correctly that this means less time shaving because of less passes?

I am a fan of shimming. It is a very inexpensive way to increase blade gap and efficiency without having to purchase a new razor. I have not shimmed KCG blades, but I do use a shim in the KCG razor. Two shims in a Gillette Tech make it perfect for me.

Many vintage blades are no fun to shave with, but the thicker blade makes a great shim, and they look cool too. Just make sure to dry them well to prevent rusting.
I have created a shim out of one of my used KCG blades. I think I will give it a shot tomorrow - while treading carefully that is!

Reactions: ewk
Thanks! Hmmm..you comparing it to a R41 gives me goose bumps. I am now in my 4th month of DE shaving. Haha. Ok I will give it one shot yes - I shave daily but somehow my stubble is somewhat coarse, but I am as fine without. The result is there without the shim that is. Tomorrow is new blade day anyway.

So when you say more efficient and i assuming correctly that this means less time shaving because of less passes?
Sorry, wasn't trying to scare you with the R41. A better analogy I guess, would be my Lupo .95 DC. Razorock considers it aggressive but it's not nearly as much so as an R41 IMHO. My shimmed KCG was more like that.
Yes by efficient I mean more wisker removed per pass. Aggressive I mean more chance of weepers, nicks, cuts, requiring closer attention.

I know - no worries. It’s just that in terms of aggressiveness nothing seems to beat the R41😁. Like having an aggressiveness scale with very mild on the one hand and R41 on the other.

Sounds like a useful experiment to me. With Ron’s Four Pass Shave I get to BBS but sometimes I feel like touch ups are necessary. However making it a Five Pass Shave would make it beyond the point.

Thanks again for your insights and guidance. Very helpful.

Ok. The Shim Reporter here. I just finished my Sunday shave. Stubble was on the lower side as yesterday's shave was an excellent BBS. I kept contextual factors constant (if there is such a thing in DE wet shaving): Proraso Green Preshave and Shaving Cream. Lather was consistent in my experience. KCG razor with KCG new blade and KCG shim (shim on top of new blade for more aggressiveness). Given my expectation that it would be a more efficient shave I did not complete a Four Pass Shave but rather went for three passes (Gillette Slide NW-SE;Gillette Slide NE-SW; ATG with a slightly slanted razor position).
  • There was definitely blade feel so I knew straight away the shim was working
  • At first I was so busy thinking about the shim that I mixed up my strokes
  • Gillette Slides went as usual with audio feedback telling me the shave was on
  • Neck area with a slighlty slanted stroke (N-S on the first to passes, but with alternating slants) went ok too
  • ATG on the neck went ok. Cheeks too. On the chin, however, not so much.
    • Now, my chin is somewhat bulbous so I are already extra cautious in this area
    • The shim gave the blade just that bit of extra bite to cut myself on one of the S-N stroke (twice in one stroke to be exact) which definitely needed some alum
    • I decided to go XTG on the moustache area after that
  • All in all three passes did result in a BBS level shave
  • The harder growth areas on my neck gave silimar first results as shaving without the shim, but with a little touch up the shim did the job better than without
  • Alum feedback told me that I had a number of other nicks and wheepers
So, the shim did the job and definitely made the KCG more aggressive. As a newbie (who does pride himself of having the Gillette Slide 'down' already) I found it to be an important experiment as I learned what a more aggressive shave is and therefore if I need it or not. It was more efficient which was my main goal, but for me it came at the expense of the overall pleasure of the shave. So lesson learned and I will retain the shim for a later time. AND, I also learned that for now I will stick with the KCG. It delivers and is just smooth for my liking. (Although I am looking for a Super Adjustable V1-4 - but that is just birthyear sentiment :001_tongu).

Top Bottom