What's new

Are Wolfman razors really absolute best by far?

Nope. I have cheaper ones that shave better and some more expensive that shave better. It's the name and history that makes the Wolfman so desired.
I forgot to mention the quality. It is very good. There is another reason Wolfman razors are all that. Back when James Dufour was first getting started the market was primed and ready for his product. It was good timing. Demand was huge and James resisted the push to expand, preferring to machine all the razors himself in a small shop. The limited nature made his razors even more desired. He was not into marketing, the razors sold themselves. I recall the old system where a sign up was posted with limited orders which were taken quickly. If you missed it you had to wait a year to try again. It was weird how the long waits and flawed sign-up list attracted even more buyers. It was all a hook with the bait being the razor everyone wanted. The Wolfman story will go down in shaving history. It's epic and a big reason why people still buy them. Not to mention they deliver a great shave.

The guy James who builds em, the Wolf's charges big bucks for his Wolf's, and if orders at those prices deminished significantly, so would his prices. Can't blame the guy for charging what he does for his Wolf's, he is able to keep price where he does, because supply, and demand thing.

Like when Datsun came out with first 240Z 1970ish,, the MSPR was under $3,200.00ish, but they were sold as soon as they hit dealer for $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 Premium, because demand n supply

I think they're great, I primarily shave with them. I have several of the wr2 and they're my favorite razor. I think 0.95 and 1.15 both oc get the most mileage. Smooth and efficient. I think you really can't go wrong with a 0.95 oc, it will plow through heavy growth in two passes and never get a nick.

I think timeless is about the same level for a little cheaper esp used. Blackbird and Nodachi are almost as good just a little less user friendly angle. Rocnel on the same level just very aggressive.

Side note: The handles are very nice but you can just grab a titanium razorock to cut out 200 or so dollars of it if you buy new. Don't think it's the greatest value but nice to have if you can do it. I have three original handles for five heads.

I have been shaving every day I'm home for the past 8 (? sorry, too lazy to look it up) years with my Wolfman WR1, so I obviously like it more than anything else I've tried. But I got in on the ground floor of Wolfman and paid around $155.

To determine they're the best razors in the world I'd have to purchase every high end razor - at all their gap offerings - and try them all out. What would that cost? $10,000? I don't really know, but I can assure you the cost is 100 times more than I'm going to spend.

Here's another problem: you purchase a Wolfman 1.25 when your beard/face only wants a .85 - and you don't get the best shave in the world. How do you know the perfect gap until you try some? The only good news in this scenario is that you can probably sell your bad guesses for about what you paid for them.

Wolfman clearly are great razors. Do you need one for a great shave? Absolutely not. You need a razor that is a good fit for your face/beard/technique. And let's recognize that everybody doesn't necessarily appreciate a work of art for their daily ten minute shave before sticking it in the medicine cabinet. That's fair. Lots of shavers are very happy with a DDS, and that doesn't necessarily require a perfectly tuned tool - and that's fair as well. And some people do appreciate using a tool that goes beyond just getting the job done and brings a little joy to their life - and that's equally fair.

There seems to be more than a few defensive answers to these posts and I think that's a shame. I never read anyone saying they like their Wolfman and if you're not using one you've made a poor choice. One of the things I love about this forum is that we celebrate our diversity of choice. Use what you like, which hopefully works well for you - I'm quite certain everyone else will celebrate your good fortune at finding that tool that makes you happy.
Very well said. Everyone should buy and use what they can afford and what they think will add value to their shaves. If that's a Wolfman that's great. If it's a disposable plastic razor, that's great as well. All I wish for is for everyone to have great shaves.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
These two factors: the price and the gap choices, are also what previously stopped me from purchasing a Wolfman.
Yeah, I hear you.

Take this with a grain of salt, but of the recent flood of WR2 head clones, the DSCosmetic Zamak versions seem to be quite close to the originals. At least a prolific razor collector from another forum who owns quite some Wolfmans and the cheaper copies as well made that comparison.

The Yaqi 1.5 Sentinel OC looks very Wolfman, but isn't as close a copy, apparently. I like it a lot, though.

-> this made me conclude that when I will get a Wolfman WR2 to go for the 1.45-1.55 range.

For the WR1, there are unfortunately very few comparisons to the Razorock Lupo, the gaps and feeling seem to be quite different.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have several Wolfman Razors, and have had several more in the past. To me, they are the best. But not by far. That is personal preference. I have tried most of the “clones “, but they don’t stack up to the Wolfs. The Lupo 95 is a great razor for me. But I don’t think of it as a Wolfman clone. It doesn’t not evoke the same feeling or shave quality. It’s different. And it stands as a great razor on it’s own merit. The Wolfman is a better razor in every way. Fit, finish, shave quality, emotional connectivity. But is it “three times the price” better? That is in the eye of the beholder. For me, yes! Absolutely. Shaving for utility is one thing. But for a lot of us, this is a hobby. And as such, the shave, and the shaving equipment, software, etc, hold a particular amount of emotional content for us. And that matters to those that feel the way I do. And a razor like a Wolfman brings that to me. Wolfman is not alone in that regard. There are other razors for me that fit that elite category. Old and new. Even though I truly believe that a highly engineered modern razor made with quality metals will out-shave a vintage razor every time, there is a special emotional connection and nostalgia shaving with a razor from as much as 100-plus years ago. So all of those things have their place in my den, and in my heart.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I have several Wolfman Razors, and have had several more in the past. To me, they are the best. But not by far. That is personal preference. I have tried most of the “clones “, but they don’t stack up to the Wolfs. The Lupo 95 is a great razor for me. But I don’t think of it as a Wolfman clone. It doesn’t not evoke the same feeling or shave quality. It’s different. And it stands as a great razor on it’s own merit. The Wolfman is a better razor in every way. Fit, finish, shave quality, emotional connectivity. But is it “three times the price” better? That is in the eye of the beholder. For me, yes! Absolutely. Shaving for utility is one thing. But for a lot of us, this is a hobby. And as such, the shave, and the shaving equipment, software, etc, hold a particular amount of emotional content for us. And that matters to those that feel the way I do. And a razor like a Wolfman brings that to me. Wolfman is not alone in that regard. There are other razors for me that fit that elite category. Old and new. Even though I truly believe that a highly engineered modern razor made with quality metals will out-shave a vintage razor every time, there is a special emotional connection and nostalgia shaving with a razor from as much as 100-plus years ago. So all of those things have their place in my den, and in my heart.

A great post. I enjoyed reading it.

I completely agree with you that "emotional connectivity" is important.

Well the Clones, Copies, and Knockoffs are I believe mostly coming out of places in Asia, where the people doing the faux Product have zero respect for Trademark, CopyWrites, and Patents that all are suppose to protect intellectual property right of people & company who invested time it idea development, and bring idea to market as product to make money off of.

Well the World has change, and not for the good. I feel sorry for inventor who’s product are being copied.

Now the question is are the Copies as good as, well made as the real deal Wolf's?

Well the Clones, Copies, and Knockoffs are I believe mostly coming out of places in Asia, where the people doing the faux Product have zero respect for Trademark, CopyWrites, and Patents that all are suppose to protect intellectual property right of people & company who invested time it idea development, and bring idea to market as product to make money off of.

Well the World has change, and not for the good. I feel sorry for inventor who’s product are being copied.

Now the question is are the Copies as good as, well made as the real deal Wolf's?

I highly doubt they are, because the real Wolfman baseplate and top cap are made for eachother to fit perfectly, while with the clones, both parts are made separately and I've seen pictures of the first batches that have uneven blade exposure and some look more like slants. Maybe those issues are now sorted out, who knows?

For those who want a razor that looks like a Wolfman and shaves somewhat close to the original it might be a good option.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.

I really think they couldn't be.

But, at some period I was somewhat of a knife collector, and the folder knife which is considered a legend and most probably the best folder knife ever designed and produced is Chris Reeve Sebenza. I've bought a chinese knockoff and it was excellent quality. I am not sure whether it was as good as the original, but it was very good. The Chinese are getting better at high pace.

Last edited:
had an itch to at least try a WR2 which I did not long ago and think the 1.25 gap I was told by many to be very similar to the TiBB was, imo, more aggressive than the TiBB and pretty much left me bloodied but, I just chalked it up to it was a very expensive lesson to learn. I also think the geometry just wasn't a fit for me as well and if I ever try one again it will definitely be in a lower gap for sure!!

Same!

except I had WR2 1.15 and my Blackbird is stainless...

Last edited:
They are certainly excellent razors, but only you can determine if they are the ''best" and by what margin.

Competition and choice has undoubtedly levelled the field. When they were near impossible to buy, and significantly more affordable, they had few competitors. Arguably the finishing is one of the best, although I don't believe they are made to the same exacting standards as when James was the only machinist. Even the brushed razors, my preference over the mirror, were finished to an incredible standard in the early days.

The WR3 is one of my absolute favourite razors but both Blackland and Atelier Durdan have produced modern GEM razors that will deliver fantastic shaves.

Which ones? That's interesting.
For me, I find the Wolfman are good razors, just not the best. A smooth shave to me means little to no blade feel. I have the following razors that are consistently smoother than the WR1 .67 or .74, or the WR2 1.25 or 1.35, all SB:
Timeless Ti .95 SB
Blackland Blackbird Ti SB
Gillette '48 - '50 Aristocrat
Gillette Diplomat
Gillette President

I have no desire to try any of the clones.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Just for the record, I have had the WR2 in 1.15 SB, 1.15 OC, 1.25 SB, and 1.55 SB. WR1 in .80 OC. Every Blackbird in every metal in both SB and OC plates (except the lite plates). Every Gen of Charcoal Goods in Levels 2 and 3 in SB. And many more. All of these razors provide top shave results.

For my face the WR2 1.15 SB is by far the smoothest.

The higher gaps in the Wolfman WR2, as well as the 1.15 Open Comb bronze (with wide scalloped cap) are all more aggressive and less smooth than the smooth cap 1.15 SB in stainless. But they all do not offer enough of an improvement in efficiency to make it worthwhile. The 1.15 Open Comb is the biggest surprise. It is quite a bit more aggressive than it’s stainless SB smooth cap brother. Why? Is it the OC, the bronze, the wide scalloped cap? I don’t know. It just is.

Same with all of the other razors in my above list, except two.

The Blackbird Ti SB exhibits similar smoothness and efficiency, but it’s no fun to use for me. Too light and too small. I don’t enjoy using it. But the results are unquestionable.

The WR1 .80 OC on a Darwin handle is its own unique beasty of a razor. For me, it’s efficient. Not as smooth as the WR2…. Any WR2. But it has a certain feel in the hand, and on the face, that makes it special. It’s like driving a 1960’s British roadster through the countryside. It’s not the most comfortable, nor is it supercar performance. But what a wicked fun time! That is the WR1 for me. It’s the quintessential open comb. The best OC I’ve ever used.

There is one more razor that is not in my above list that I like almost equally to the 1.15. That is the Tradere OC. That is an anomaly of a razor. It is huge and bulky. And it’s heavy. Really big and heavy. And the head is gigantic. It’s shaves no better than the 1.15. Almost as efficient. Not quite. But it is just as smooth. It is an absolute pleasure to shave with the Tradere OC. It would equal the 1.15, except it’s so huge and bulky that it’s not a great every day razor. To continue my automotive analogy, it’s like a 1970’s Rolls Royce. Big, slow, but supremely comfortable and enjoyable. It’ll get you there eventually.

But the WR2 1.15 SB in stainless was my first Wolf. And little did I know that I got it right on the first go. I kept hunting for that better shave. And have never found it. But the hunt was worth it. And now that I know what I know, my RAD is dead. And the WR2 1.15 SB is number one in my den. So the good and the bad of the Wolfman is the customization of the gaps, handles, metals, scallops, etc.. it’s a lot of choice. And it gets expensive. And that pursuit is an exercise in splitting hairs. So if you have the means to play the game, enjoy it. If not, there are endless great razors out there. And at the end of the day, you’re likely to find a razor under $100 that gets you where you need to go.

I've never tried a Wolfman and am far from qualified to comment about the "best" high-end razors. But I learned an important lesson when I retired and shifted from shaving every day to every 3-4 days. That one simple change made a big difference in what razor works best for me, even though everything else is exactly the same. So I can't accept the idea that one razor, one brand of razor, or even one type of razor, can be best for all faces and all shaving habits.

Not part of my world. I’ve never paid more than $17 for a razor and get BBS results almost every time.

IMHO, the finest shaving tool in the world is the Schick injector, types E, G or J. The best shaving DE’s are the Yuma or Black Beauty. I value performance, not looks or craftsmanship that doesn’t enhance shave quality significantly. All else is flummery. A razor is a tool, not a work of art.

Top Bottom