What's new

Shield Predator Gem Razor vs. The Phoenix Starling V3 Single Edge Safety Razor

I know there is more gem-type modern options but not many. Maybe anyone with the Starling V2 it would also be a good comparison plus not to many V3's out there and not much time to use them. Things like blade gap, weight, balance, etc. would be appreciated. Even anyone with modern and a vintage would be a good comparison.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It looks like the Boti and both V2 and V3 Starlings all leave the corners of the GEM blade exposed.

Don’t do any J-hooks, Gillette Slides, or gently turning your razor during the shave and you might find a single WTG pass is all you need. The discontinued Above The Tie G1 shaves like that and it’s amazing when those warnings are followed. Gillette Slide or J-hook to get a tricky bit of whisker patch, and the exposed corners can be noticed.

The exposed corners of a GEM blade love my skin so much, but my skin does not requite those feelings.

May I please recommend older razors from Krampfe, Star, Treet, American Safety Razor, Ever-Ready, or GEM? Or modern razors from Blackland Razors and Wolfman Razors?

Also add the Vestige from Atelier Durdan to the list of moderns. Yes, it has no stops, something I would normally avoid but no issues so far. I’m sure the near zero gap helps out. Very smooth and nimble. Imagine the Sabre with the handling of the Vector.

I hear the Rocnel was vicious if not handled with care. I do own the mentioned G1 but it’s a rather mild shaver and the corners can catch if you don’t shave in a straight line.

Not tried the Starling but highly rate both the guarded Blackland and Wolfman GEMs.

I just had my first shave with a Shield Predator Gem razor today. I bought he head and handle together from AliExpress and it came in about two weeks. I am pretty impressed - being titanium, the weight is nice and light. I did two passes with a new Star blade and got a close comfortable shave with no nicks (this is the first time I have shaved with a non-DE in about a year, so I went slow with a light touch using some very slick and coushion-y MDC Rose soap). I also have the Starling 2, which I like better than most of the original GEM shavers but I think the Predator is lighter and easier to use. It will take me a couple of weeks of daily use to really get accustomed I think.

I just had my first shave with a Shield Predator Gem razor today. I bought he head and handle together from AliExpress and it came in about two weeks. I am pretty impressed - being titanium, the weight is nice and light. I did two passes with a new Star blade and got a close comfortable shave with no nicks (this is the first time I have shaved with a non-DE in about a year, so I went slow with a light touch using some very slick and coushion-y MDC Rose soap). I also have the Starling 2, which I like better than most of the original GEM shavers but I think the Predator is lighter and easier to use. It will take me a couple of weeks of daily use to really get accustomed I think.
Thanks. I also have a titanium in my possession and a couple of vintage ones. I will give it a try in time but I have been using my Rockwell T2 lately and it has been working so good that I may stick with it for a while. The Starling(s) I am counting out for now on account of some reviews I have read. Thanks to all for the other expensive suggestions. I'll take my time looking into them.

My Shield is very good. It's right behind my Sabre
The Sabre is just the best , if the Shield had actually copied the post size, I think it would be even better. The post for the shield is the same design but smaller and shorter, so it's a bit more unusual. I am eager for the v3 Starling. I like the design, and think the added weight is a bonus. The aluminum is insanely light.

I have been reluctant to make the investment in the Sabre out of concern that I would not like it (I have both the Blackbird and Blackland's A/C razor), but based on your suggestion I may have to try it. Also I want to get the V3Starling when they are back in stock. I have way to many razors as it is, but what the hay???

The Blackland Sabre with L1 or L2 plate is a very mild razor. The Starling V3 way more efficient and aggressive than the Sabre (unless you use the Sabre with two blade shims with the L2 plate). In my limited use of the Starling V3 it is on par with the MicroMatic Clog-Pruf (Peerless) as efficiency is concerned. To me, the Sabre with the L2 plate is less efficient than the MicroMatic Bullet Tip/Flying Wing, GEM Heavy Flat-Top (G-Bar) or the GEM Feather Weight Deluxe. YMMV.

I have been reluctant to make the investment in the Sabre out of concern that I would not like it (I have both the Blackbird and Blackland's A/C razor), but based on your suggestion I may have to try it. Also I want to get the V3Starling when they are back in stock. I have way to many razors as it is, but what the hay???
I had the Sabre L1 and returned it (one of two razors ever that I've returned!)
Every other shave was a bad shave which led me to believe that maybe it was defective. My GEM featherlight was always good and the PAA Starling v2 that I just received gives a nice shave too. I've ordered the Shield Predator to see if it beats the Sabre! Hopefully it does!

Last edited:
I picked up the Sabre with L1 plate a while back on BST and quickly moved to the L2 plate as the L1 was too mild for me. With a pair of blade shims (not spine shims), I can get even more efficiency out of the L2 plate but lately I have just been using it for breaking in a new GEM blade before moving on to more efficient razors for the rest of the blade's life. I am looking forward to seeing if the GEM Featherweight Deluxe does well on the first shave of a new GEM blade. I know Shane's design for the Sabre was for a shave you don't have to think about/concentrate and was probably aimed at people coming from cartridges.

I get a pretty nice shaves out of the PAA V3 Starling as well. The efficiency of the V3 Starling to me is comparable to the Micromatic Clog-Pruf (MMCP), Peerless variant though it has done well in comparison shaves with my MMOCs.

I had the Sabre L1 and returned it (one of two razors ever that I've returned!)
Every other shave was a bad shave which led me to believe that maybe it was defective. My GEM featherlight was always good and the PAA Starling v2 that I just received gives a nice shave too. I've ordered the Shield Predator to see if it beats the Sabre! Hopefully it does!
This makes me feel better about passing on the L1. I probably would have waited for a L2 on BST but once I got my Predator, that Gem itch went away. I bought the Predator just to test the Gem waters not knowing what to expect. Don't know if I'll expand my ownership of additional Gem razors. The Predator gives me a long last BBS shave without effort and it doesn't get any better than that.

This makes me feel better about passing on the L1. I probably would have waited for a L2 on BST but once I got my Predator, that Gem itch went away. I bought the Predator just to test the Gem waters not knowing what to expect. Don't know if I'll expand my ownership of additional Gem razors. The Predator gives me a long last BBS shave without effort and it doesn't get any better than that.
Nice!
My Shield Predator arrives tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. In comparison to the Sabre, I've heard that it's comparable to the L2. So you definitely didn't miss out on the L1 if you like the Predator so much.

I have the Boti, Sabre and Starling V2, Featherweight and G Bar together with many other Gem, Star and Eveready razors. The Gem blades suit my skin when coupled with a straight bar.

The Sabre (level 2) ranks as the best Gem I’ve used. Featherweight and G Bar follow close behind.

The Boti is too light for me, as is the Starling. The Boti does not have the same tight engineering the Sabre does. It is harder to thread the handle over the post.

The Starling V2 SB also does not have a smooth finish to it and irritates my skin. However I’m keen to try V3 with its extra weight and polished finish. I’ve put my name down to be advised when there is a re-stock.

As always, YMMV

I have the Boti, Sabre and Starling V2, Featherweight and G Bar together with many other Gem, Star and Eveready razors. The Gem blades suit my skin when coupled with a straight bar.

The Sabre (level 2) ranks as the best Gem I’ve used. Featherweight and G Bar follow close behind.

The Boti is too light for me, as is the Starling. The Boti does not have the same tight engineering the Sabre does. It is harder to thread the handle over the post.

The Starling V2 SB also does not have a smooth finish to it and irritates my skin. However I’m keen to try V3 with its extra weight and polished finish. I’ve put my name down to be advised when there is a re-stock.

As always, YMMV
I just received the Shield Predator today. I don't know how it shaves (I'll find out tonight) but the finish is A-1.
Yes the screwing of the post is rougher than the Sabre but if carefully done, I don't think it'll be an issue.
One thing I did notice:
The blade sits perfectly when you drop it on the plate which gives perfect alignment. (zero wiggle room) No fiddling!
The Sabre wasn't like that. I'd drop the blade and it had some play. So I had to fiddle with it to align while tightening it down. So that's definitely a plus for me!
Weight is not an issue since I like both light and heavy razors. This one feels on the heavier side for being titanium.

full

I just received the Shield Predator today. I don't know how it shaves (I'll find out tonight) but the finish is A-1.
Yes the screwing of the post is rougher than the Sabre but if carefully done, I don't think it'll be an issue.
One thing I did notice:
The blade sits perfectly when you drop it on the plate which gives perfect alignment. (zero wiggle room) No fiddling!
The Sabre wasn't like that. I'd drop the blade and it had some play. So I had to fiddle with it to align while tightening it down. So that's definitely a plus for me!
Weight is not an issue since I like both light and heavy razors. This one feels on the heavier side for being titanium.

full
Just had my first shave. Can't ask for more!
Smooth, efficient, nimble head and great sound as you shave.
I like it. A+

Top Bottom