What's new

Sheraton door alignment

I recently picked up a nice user-grade Sheraton on the Bay. It shaves well, but the doors are misaligned on one side. On the other side, the doors line up perfectly. Any ideas for how to fix this tiny problem?

$photo (20).JPG

Does the problem persist when a blade is loaded in the razor? I have an open comb Aristocrat with similarly misaligned doors on one side. However, when I load a blade in the razor, the misalignment goes away.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Fit a small Crescent wrench on the arm and carefully bend it back. I've done this successfully a few times.

Fit a small Crescent wrench on the arm and carefully bend it back. I've done this successfully a few times.

I'm having trouble visualizing this process. Are the arms the parts that attach the base plate to the butterfly doors? How small of a crescent wrench?

Thanks

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yes, the arms that operate the silo doors ... yours do look uneven. Go easy, the wrench in my pic is huge, I didn't want to go out to my shop to get a baby one.

I use the Crescent because the flat jaws won't leave a mark like pliers. It won't take much -- this technique can also be used on razors with endcaps but extra care must be taken to keep from popping the cap off.

Yes, the arms that operate the silo doors ... yours do look uneven. Go easy, the wrench in my pic is huge, I didn't want to go out to my shop to get a baby one.

I use the Crescent because the flat jaws won't leave a mark like pliers. It won't take much -- this technique can also be used on razors with endcaps but extra care must be taken to keep from popping the cap off.

thank you for the how to.

Cool tip, Doug! I've done this with smooth-jawed pliers in the past, but the adjustable crescent wrench is probably even better than that since the jaws stay parallel. I'll definitely be trying this the next time I have cause to. :thumbup1:

Would the main cause of the silo doors being uneven be droppage? Or is there something else that can happen during the life of the razor to cause this?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Droppage and the original owners (I think) would tap them on the sink to knock the whiskers out. Probably the cause of many a bent tooth.

What did they know about us 60 years later?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Four years later and this information just helped me straighten my own razor in this thread: Opinions Wanted on Restoration

Thanks!

GREAT TIP!

It worked!! Thanks.
DSCN7481.JPG

Top Bottom