What's new

"Shelf life" of fragrances?

As I consider investment (hard to think of it as anything else given some of the prices) in a quality new scent or two, I am wondering if fragrances have a finite "shelf life" - after which they either lose their punch, or the scent is altered significantly, or anything similar? Hoping that the fragrance gurus here can help me out, since I know that some of you have impressive collections. Thanks!

Hey mental; no, I'm not seeking out your posts :wink:

I think you'll find as many answers as there are scents. I think it depends on exactly which EOs are used in a given solution (I assume some would be more volatile/prone to breaking down more quickly than others), along with other factors such as storage, and perhaps even natural vs synthetic might matter.

I've got a bottle of the original Guerlain Derby, which was discontinued in the 80s (IIRC; I was a skosh too young to be wearing cologne back then); it's still as good as ever IMO, and with a price of $400+ at many places (and people willing to pay), I'd say I'm not alone. Same with my 'vintage' (they're no longer made, but aren't *that* old) Montana and Havana. I've actually never had a cologne go bad on me, I don't think.

I think there's every reason to expect that most fragrances should last a number of years, so long as they are stored properly, which means away from light and heat (some people like to display their bottles; if you must, I suggest first removing the smelly stuff into a different (and put away) bottle and adding some colored water to the fancy bottles). Also, splash-type bottles may not last quite as long, since they allow more air transfer, every time you take off the cap. I solve this problem by pouring splash bottles into atomizers, save for a small amount which goes into a splash vial for spot application.

+1 too

I've got a bottle of British Sterling that my dad gave me. Before he passed it off to me, he had it since 1986 - two years after my birth. The stuff is still going strong (which is why I don't use it.) :07:

At a hunting camp of mine, I have some aqua velva, brut, and 2 bottles of Mennen Skin Bracer that I remember seeing as a pre-shaver-- sometime 30 - 35 years old. I've put some on for giggles (just one of those things you never throw out...just like the razors the old guys left as "an emergency spare" and the blades, stacked up since 1916 when the place opened up!)

These "cheapies" do not smell good...but it's fun to remember what Old Spice "Burley" smelled like!

On the other hand, I have an ancient bottle of Royall Bay Rhum, easily 20 years old, with the bay leave still in the bottle, that has a pleasant aroma.

I suspect it's akin to keeping wines-- the good ones continue to taste good, and even improve with age; the cheaper ones never get better, and start to go a little "off" long-term.

British Sterling! That's a memory...I'm remembering the commercials, with the carefully enunciated woman's voice cooing that "It's so fine a gift it's even sold in jewelry stores..."

But I suspect some Hai Karate, even with the self-defense instructions enclosed, would not fare so well.

Top Bottom