What's new

shelf life of creams

I usually carry one shave cream in my inventory, but recently splurged and picked up a tub of Cyril Salter mint and one each of XPEC scented and unscented. My concern is it may take a while to work through the supply and shelf life may become a factor. I haven't opened the XPECs yet. Does breaking the seal have a negative impact on shelf life? Should l use all three in rotation or one at a time? I'm a bit apprehensive because of the XPEC cost and don't want to have it spoil. These are my first 'high end' creams.

Could dehydrate some, but not likely to go rancid.
(Should any ever go annoyingly dry, might want to stir in some distilled water.)

I'd been wondering about this too. I thought about cutting some wax paper circles to place on top to minimize exposure to the air. I've kind of come to the conclusion that in reality it's probably not much of a concern.

I bought a couple of cans of clubman that were so old they lost their aerosol so I wound up with $20 of crap.

Hard soaps can last a very long time. I found a bar of soap that was over 20 years old and it was still good.

Creams produced by larger manufacturers that are sold internationally usually have preservatives that will give them a shelf life of several years.

Creams produced by artisans may or may not not contain preservatives. Some even advertise that their products are free of preservatives. Those that contain primarily saturated fatty acids (tallow, palm oil, stearic acid, myristic acid, etc.) and monounsaturated fatty acids (olive oil, oleic acid) are likely to last for several years before becoming rancid. However, creams with polyunsaturated fats (linoleic acid, sunflower oil, etc.) may turn rancid over time if they are not protected from oxidation by preservatives. I cannot tell you how long they will last, but I would suggest using them within a year or two.

Of course, over time, the volatile essential oils in both soaps and creams may escape if the containers are not tightly sealed. While this might affect the scent of the products, it should not affect performance.

If water evaporates from a cream, you will need to add more water when lathering, but it will still work.

You know, I'm thinking something that makes the idea of the compressed nitrogen bottles they use for wines might come in quite handy for those who seek to prolong their fragile creams...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Keep them in the fridge, I think lower temperature helps more. I have a brick of Cella, a piece of which will go rancid in a few short months even if not used (I experimented), but the brick wrapped in plastic in the fridge is 3+ years old, smells like new, and is white as fresh snow. I keep my ABC creams in the fridge too, decanting a bit as I go, and my 'spare' soaps and creams.

Cheers, Steve

In chemistry, there is a rule of thumb that for every 10 degrees C (18 degrees F) rise in temperature, the rate of a reaction will double. Thus, but decreasing the temperature from room temperature to refrigerator temperature, you will reduce the rate of oxidation that causes rancidity and extend the life of the product by several times. Keeping the soap tightly wrapped in plastic also helps as the rate of oxidation depends on the concentration of available oxygen. Thus, by doing both, you have greatly extended the life of the product.

I think it depends on how much you plan on having in inventory. It only takes a about three months to go through a tub if using it every day, so you should be fine if you don't wait years to use it. I personally alternate between three tubs, one each of the "Big Three" (TOBS, T&H, Trumpers) and see no issues at all as I work through them by using a different one each day.

It all depends on the ingredients used in the product as well as the preservative (or lack thereof). It also is dependent upon the formula used, the pH of the product, the amount of water in the product, the amount of unsaponified oils or fatty acids used. Really, there is no way to predict a shelf life of such a product and that product could be full of bacteria and never show a sign of it being there so you have to be very careful! Also, remember that all products are different from one another whether it be a shaving cream or a shaving soap, they are not all formulated alike or manufactured the same way and they don't have the same ingredients so what my apply to one may not apply to another! The best thing to do is to not overbuy and have too many products on hand!

I usually carry one shave cream in my inventory, but recently splurged and picked up a tub of Cyril Salter mint and one each of XPEC scented and unscented. My concern is it may take a while to work through the supply and shelf life may become a factor. I haven't opened the XPECs yet. Does breaking the seal have a negative impact on shelf life? Should l use all three in rotation or one at a time? I'm a bit apprehensive because of the XPEC cost and don't want to have it spoil. These are my first 'high end' creams.

Sir Guido, these nice creams will certainly expire soon!
You should send them to me for proper disposal!!

Top Bottom