What's new

Shaving with one hand or both?

That's just what they told me about learning to like Scotch - nope, I'll pass! :wink:
You do realise that under Scottish common law it is in fact illegal to own Scottish whetstones if you don't drink Scotch?

I am prepared to help you out of this predicament by taking a certain Dalmore Blue off your hands... :)
proxy.php

You do realise that under Scottish common law it is in fact illegal to own Scottish whetstones if you don't drink Scotch?

I am prepared to help you out of this predicament by taking a certain Dalmore Blue off your hands... :)
proxy.php

I assume the Scotch is used as a grease cutter on old stones? I must've gotten some recycled Scotch.

Having started straights using both hands, I've found that using the off hand on WTG for my neck after using the "same side" hand gives me a distinctly different approach angle that works well to clear those neck hollows.

What that tells me is that same-side vs. off-side hand does make a difference. Either/both may prove useful to any given individual, but neither is "wrong". And ... they are also not equivalent/interchangeable.

It worked! Much easier than reaching around my neck to stretch the skin. Thanks.
Just to clarify... What worked exactly? The opposite hand approach for the neck?

I'd like to see this skin stretch. I just can't imagine how this would be necessary. Maybe we just have very different techniques or possibly it's the differences in our bodies that makes this necessary for you. You've got me curious.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The opposite hand approach. I have been reaching around the back of my neck to pull the skin on my neck taught and repositioned.

The opposite hand approach. I have been reaching around the back of my neck to pull the skin on my neck taught and repositioned.
Ah. I'm glad that you've found something that works for you. Hopefully it's making your shaves just a bit more enjoyable.

Had my first SR shave this morning. I have reviewed this video several times and am learning the holds he uses. I am using both hands as he does.

I like that video. I personally learned that I prefer to only keep my index finger on the spine with my middle and ring fingers on the tang. By only having one finger on the spine, it's one less that I have to try to look passed when working on areas with low visibility (i.e. near my sideburns). Congrats on the shave. Welcome to the world of straights.

I like that video. I personally learned that I prefer to only keep my index finger on the spine with my middle and ring fingers on the tang. By only having one finger on the spine, it's one less that I have to try to look passed when working on areas with low visibility (i.e. near my sideburns). Congrats on the shave. Welcome to the world of straights.
Glad you liked the video. I felt like I got a schooling on how the SR was used in the sweet bye and bye. I'll play around with just keeping my forth finger on the tail. And, thank you.

I'm a newcomer here and I'll be taking the dive into straight razor shaving very soon. On the way I have a honed 5/8 Diamondine #7 full hollow razor, Poor Man's Strop kit, EJ Best Badger brush and some Proraso Red in a bowl. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos to figure things out. This site and it's members have a wealth of knowledge and the stickies have been very helpful.

However everything I've seen in the videos and shaving tutorials seems to be aimed at using the razor with both hands. I was thinking I might try shaving with only my dominant (right) hand and using my other (left) to tighten the skin. I'm already a bit worried about nicking myself with my dominant hand, but trying to get my angles correct with a hand that I have even less control of is a bit more nerve racking. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to shaving with both hands over single handed shaving?

Thanks,
Andrew

I use my dominant hand for the most part. I shave the back of my neck with both hands but everything else my dominant.
I can shave with both hands but prefer 1.
The advantages are only if you can't figure out a way to comfortably shave a particular area. I don't have this problem.
If you are not too ambidextrous, don't worry about it - it is not mandatory or even necessary.
Whatever works for you.

proxy.php

Scottish common law should never be ignored. Looks like the perfect pairing to me.

I am surprising myself using my non dominant hand is much easier than I would have expected. I've also noticed how keeping the razor in the fingers and doing micro moves accomplishes more. I am using skills learned in playing a fiddle....LOL!!

Top Bottom