What's new

Shaving with non dominant hand

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've always used both hands to shave, brush my teeth, lock and unlock doors etc. I'd say I'm probably 55 to 60% right hand dominant though.

Shaving with either hand is possible but it takes practice to build muscle memory. I'd also recommend using your non dominant hand for minor tasks such as drinking your coffee, opening doors to get your brain used to controlling your off hand.

@RayClem, I cannot strum guitar with my left hand, but can make chord shapes with my right. I can play bass left or right though. Strumming is just too awkward.
I had the same problem strumming with my left hand. I had always finger picked but finally conquered the beast.

Hi,

I'm ambi. I have a Left master eye, but mimicked my parents who were both right handed. So, I naturally developed the ability to use either hand for most everything. Doctor called it a mixed brain dominance.

Except writing. I can with my left, but using the exact same muscle sequences as on the right and so what I write left handed comes out mirror image.

That's a trick only useful at parties. Or, when wrinting Secret Documents. Looks like Klingonese and no one ever thinks to hold it up to a mirror. :p

I use whichever hand makes the most sense for what I'm trying to do. I don't even think about it until someone asks me to tell my left from my right. Then, I have to think about it and get all screwed up.

When it comes to shaving, I alternate hands depending on what I'm doing. And don't ask me which hand for what or I'll have to think about it and get all screwed up and probably need that ICU bed someone mentioned....

Stan

There is some truth to left handers
being more adaptive for obvious reasons living in a righ handed world but we still have a lot of trouble with it - some more than others. I am very left handed unfortunately. Shaving with my right hand is one of the easier tasks. Scissors are terrible. I swing things, bats and golf clubs right handed and am right footed as well. This is said to be the the most screwed up brain wiring possible. I have read that we had a great advantage in sword fighting though. I expect that may be the reason we still represent 10% of the population. Left handed soldiers have a higher mortality than right handed soldiers as well.
In college I fenced (very informal) left handed, reasoning that would give me a slight advantage over other righties as their reflexes were set for right handed fencers. Seemed to work as I finished 2nd out of 20 despite my lack of coordination.

Many things we do require use of both hands. Typing on a keyboard requires both hands as does playing a piano. When playing a stringed instrument, one hand fingers the notes while the other picks, strums plucks or bows the strings. Both actions are intricate. Playing the drums requires similar use of each hand. Playing woodwinds requires both hands.

Brass instruments, however, tend to be designed for the dominant hand. All brass instruments are right-handed with the exception of the French horn which is left-handed., go figure.

Although I do many things with both hands, I do admit to having a dominant hand, in my case it is the right. I cannot imagine trying to do something like painting wallboard trim with my left hand.

The French horn thing is strange. Why different from all the other brass?

Painting trim, etc. would strictly be right handed for me. Once I've done the edges, I might switch back and forth in the middle of the wall.

Except writing. I can with my left, but using the exact same muscle sequences as on the right and so what I write left handed comes out mirror image.

That's a trick only useful at parties. Or, when wrinting Secret Documents. Looks like Klingonese and no one ever thinks to hold it up to a mirror. :p
I can write with either hand, normal or mirror. I typically write with my right hand though, especially with fountain pens. I swap occasionally just to "keep my hand in". My writing also looks similar regardless of which hand I use.

I also use a butter knife with either hand, depending on what is more convenient at the time. I found that to confuse people more than swapping hands to write.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I did it!

This morning I first checked with the local hospital. They had a spare bed in ICU in case I needed it.

I started my SR shave with my dominant (right) hand as usual, WTG on my right cheek. Then, for the first time, I shaved WTG on my left cheek using my left hand. It worked! No blood.

I then completed my shave with my dominant hand only. ICU was not needed.

From now on, I will endeavour to extend the use of my non-dominant hand with each shave. This may even work.
You mean you’ve been shaving one handed all this time? I’m impressed; never figured out how to do that.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm fortunate to be "moderately ambidextrous" but I am technically a rightie. I've always switched hands shaving, so shaving right with right and left with left is all good.

Whether a rusted-on rightie can make the change is a good question. But practice makes perfect, or at least acceptable. Go slow, stick at it, and it'll likely get easier than it is.

As a fencer I learned that many fencers get all tight when they're facing a leftie. The attacks all come from your weak side. The received wisdom is that since leftie fencers tend to fence mostly righties, they are used to that where the rightie isn't. I've learned over the years that the hardest opponent for a leftie is another leftie.

O.H.

The French horn thing is strange. Why different from all the other brass?

Painting trim, etc. would strictly be right handed for me. Once I've done the edges, I might switch back and forth in the middle of the wall.
Before the development of valves, the horn player would vary the pitch by how the right hand was positioned in the bell. So it was essentially a right-handed instrument. When valves were introduced, the weight of tradition maintained the same playing configuration and the valves were operated with the left hand.

It hadn't occurred to me that there would be differences, but...I shave the left side of my face with my right hand, and vice versa. I'm using a straight razor.

Shaving the side opposite the shaving hand puts my arm and wrist in what feels like a more natural position. Doing it the other way seems cramped to me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You mean you’ve been shaving one handed all this time? I’m impressed; never figured out how to do that.
Yes, first time with the non-dominant hand was yesterday. I have never had any trouble SR shaving with only my dominant hand. Must be the shape of my face and beard growth direction.

I have a pinched nerve in my neck on my dominant side. Trying to shave with my opposite hand is nigh on impossible due to a lack of practice.
I am afraid there will be blood letting.
Maybe folks should shave with the non dominant hand occasionally just for this eventuality, I never thought about it.
Well, I'm only shaving with a DE, not a straight, but I've always used my left hand (dominant) for the left side and right for the right side of face and head. I did grow up learning a lot of things right handed, however, as that was what was preferred in school. Each classroom had one pair of "lefty" scissors and I now can only use right handed scissors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Second SR shave including my non-dominant hand. This time I did a complete WTG pass on the LH side of my face with my left hand. This included my upper lip, chin and neck.

It wasn't easy. My left hand wanted to go opposite when trying to decrease the shave angle. I had to al.ost force that hand to behave properly.

The result of this left-handed shaving was the same as as the RH side of my face with my right hand. No blood or irritation.

I will keep on doing this WTG pass with my left hand for the rest of the week.

Second SR shave including my non-dominant hand. This time I did a complete WTG pass on the LH side of my face with my left hand. This included my upper lip, chin and neck.

It wasn't easy. My left hand wanted to go opposite when trying to decrease the shave angle. I had to al.ost force that hand to behave properly.

The result of this left-handed shaving was the same as as the RH side of my face with my right hand. No blood or irritation.

I will keep on doing this WTG pass with my left hand for the rest of the week.
Huh. I may have to give this a try, just for grins and giggles. I shave my whole face with my right hand, scales at 90 degrees on the WTG pass on the right cheek, and then 180 degrees or more for the rest and for the subsequent passes, although I tweak the scale angle a little. I taught myself to straight shave without the help of the internet or any mentor, so I never really considered doing it any other way. It's not that I can't use my left hand; painting trim while high up on a ladder got me comfortable with doing detail work with either hand so that I didn't have to move the ladder as often.

I actually found my left hand fairly easy to train, easier than my right hand, which had picked up a lot of bad cartridge habits, especially "for a closer shave, press harder." The left one didn't have anything to unlearn.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Darth Scandalous for my first 26 months of SR shaving, I have been happily and confidently shaving with my dominant hand only. I thought yesterday that I would try to include my non-dominant hand as a new skill to develop.

I like challenges.

Top Bottom