What's new

Shaving Towel?

Yes, I'm actually asking about your shaving towel.
We know that straight razors / shavettes aren't supposed to be washed off in the sink between passes. You wipe it off on a towel.
So what's yours? I use a few hand towels from Wally World that cost $1.25 each.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have started using a damp sponge in the sink like in the superb Chimensch video:

We know that straight razors / shavettes aren't supposed to be washed off in the sink between passes. You wipe it off on a towel.

Wait, I didn't know this! I've been rinsing my straights and shavette under warm water to get rid of the lather and trimmings, same as with my double edge razors. There's some risk of hitting the blade on the faucet, but are there other reasons for me to forgo this habit?

I needed to up an order at Italian Barber recently to get free shipping, so bought 4 or 5 of their barber towels. I keep one by this sink to wipe everything down post shave. Also nice to wipe excess soap or preshave off my hands so I don't lose my grip on the razor. I prefer not using my "nice" hand towels for that. Here's one of the barber towels in my SOTD pic from yesterday:

File_000 (1).jpeg

I rinse mine, in the sink, as they need.

I hold them down at an angle, and rinse up to the heel, but not the shank/tang. I give it a quick dry on a towel between passes so no errant water gets up the tang or into the pivot. and I dry my hands if need be, for the same reason.

Post shave they get a good dry down and ready for the next shave.

works for me

Wait, I didn't know this! I've been rinsing my straights and shavette under warm water to get rid of the lather and trimmings, same as with my double edge razors. There's some risk of hitting the blade on the faucet, but are there other reasons for me to forgo this habit?

I needed to up an order at Italian Barber recently to get free shipping, so bought 4 or 5 of their barber towels. I keep one by this sink to wipe everything down post shave. Also nice to wipe excess soap or preshave off my hands so I don't lose my grip on the razor. I prefer not using my "nice" hand towels for that. Here's one of the barber towels in my SOTD pic from yesterday:

View attachment 1208504
I do it for a few reasons:
1. I don't hit the razor on the sink or faucet.
2. Cleaning the insides of the scales (especially at the pivot) is a pain in my buttocks. Those pivots love to rust.
3. If the razor is dry, my hands are dry. No slipping and slicing myself / dropping the razor.

If running it under the faucet works for you, then keep doing it. No need to fix what ain't broken.

Towels!

I rinse under running water as well. Then dry on a hand towel. I purchased a few just for shaving. I like the sponge idea and may have to try that.
I love the idea. I'm going to patent it and make trillions off of it.
A much better solution to a towel, and clean-up / laundry would be much easier.

I rinse mine, in the sink, as they need.

I hold them down at an angle, and rinse up to the heel, but not the shank/tang. I give it a quick dry on a towel between passes so no errant water gets up the tang or into the pivot. and I dry my hands if need be, for the same reason.

Post shave they get a good dry down and ready for the next shave.

This is the way.

Yup rinse mine under running water as water as. Tip of the razor is pointing down so no water gets to the pin/scales. Reason why they used the towel etc in barber shop is because the barber couldn't run to the sink each time he needed to clean the razor, he was standing by the customer. Since I shave by the sink I just rinse.

Yup rinse mine under running water as water as. Tip of the razor is pointing down so no water gets to the pin/scales. Reason why they used the towel etc in barber shop is because the barber couldn't run to the sink each time he needed to clean the razor, he was standing by the customer. Since I shave by the sink I just rinse.
I did not know this. I've just always been taught to use the towel.

As others above I rinse the razor under running water in the sink between passes. I don't dry it but just put it on a wooden plate while relathering. AFTER the shave I carefully dry the razor with a towel, then I dry it on a large paper napkin (IKEA) and make sure that the area around the prior is dry. I also use the napkin to dry the inside of the scales. Finally I do 30 laps on linnen and 60 laps on leather before I leave the razor open during the day.
I've never had an issue with rust.

I use two sheets of toilet paper. First I use it to remove the baby oil fom the blade before stropping, then I use it to wipe the balde between passes. In this way the blade and scales stay dry and I can roll it up and pop it in the bin when done. A clean and cheap solution that saves on laundry.

I rinse under running water, toe down, as previously described. Tried the sponge, but didn't work well for me and was another thing to clean up.

SWMBO just bought me a set of 6 high pile, Egyptian cotton hand towels that are exclusively for my shaves. I use them for keeping the counter dry as well as cleaning up and drying the razor after the shave.

Towels for face are some white terry cloth. For the counter, some flour sack type from Ikea, and for wiping the blade while shaving I use Saneck strips. I cut old flannel into patches for storage cleaning and oiling.

Top Bottom