What's new

Shaving once a week: blade life expectancy?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most DE blades should get approximately 4-7 good shaves IMO, if you want more shaves per blade you have to go to SE because the blades a thicker and seem to last longer from my limited experience. The best price for a great blade is the GEM Personna SS PTFE (SE) and that blade will give 8-12 reasonable shaves, it will give you a shave for about $.02-.035 per use and that is the same as a DE. The shaves are very high quality and not much for irritation and will give any blade system a run for its money. The Schick injector is another excellent system and would tie GEM blades for longevity but the price is higher so GEM wins out IMO. Keeping the blades dry and clean will help in blade life IMO.
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have been DE shaving since 1980.
I have tried almost any blade under the sun.
Muhle blades are the ONLY blades I find horrible.
As far as to how long a blade lasts my answer is "until it starts tugging".
Just to make sure I change my blade every Saturday morning (I shave every day).

Many thanks for the comments, everyone! They were greatly appreciated.

I guess I'll just focus on improving my technique and trying out the different blades from my sampler pack, and not worry about blade longevity. :)

I regularly get 28 to 32 shaves with an average of about 30. Today was shave number 23 on the current blade. A Gillette Silver Blue in my D1/1958 Flare Tip Super Speed. Two pass shaves most of the time. (Last weekend I did do a single pass one day due to time constraints) Today's shave was every bit as good as the first few shaves with it.

My beard isn't as coarse as some, even though I have been shaving for over 45 years. The last time I missed a shave was December 30 of last year. I shaved 361 of 365 days in 2018. My goal this year is
to go 365 of 365.

Many thanks for the comments, everyone! They were greatly appreciated.

I guess I'll just focus on improving my technique and trying out the different blades from my sampler pack, and not worry about blade longevity. :)

That’s is an excellent plan and good advice!!
Happy shaves!!

Top Bottom