What's new

Shaving in a Russian Prison

Alexei Navalny, the Russian dissident, has been sentenced to several years in Penal Colony No.2. The New York Times notes the harsh conditions there, including: “Inmates, for example, must shave every morning, but are not allowed to do so themselves because they are not allowed to hold razors; instead, activists wield the razors and cuts and nicks are common.” The “activists” are fellow prisoners who work with the guards, or members of criminal gangs.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You could potentially find out some information by contacting

They do have English speakers on staff. Records, especially for the early Soviet years, are hit or miss, but they are probably the best clearinghouse for information on the repressed.
Very cool
Thanks

Wow that’s so sad and probably impossible to find anything out about him there.
I have a copy of a letter that my father wrote in the late 1940’s that recounts some family history- he was writing to my mother’s family in Ireland, asking for permission to marry their daughter, and wanting to give an account of himself. Mom and her sister had been nurses in London through the war, and the Blitz. My father was a merchant seaman sailing on various allied ships through the war. And I have a beautiful photo album with pre-war pictures of life in Poland, where my father never returned to.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a copy of a letter that my father wrote in the late 1940’s that recounts some family history- he was writing to my mother’s family in Ireland, asking for permission to marry their daughter, and wanting to give an account of himself. Mom and her sister had been nurses in London through the war, and the Blitz. My father was a merchant seaman sailing on various allied ships through the war. And I have a beautiful photo album with pre-war pictures of life in Poland, where my father never returned to.
That’s nice to have with that history

Nothing good can come of the Russian penal system.

But...
You could potentially find out some information by contacting

They do have English speakers on staff. Records, especially for the early Soviet years, are hit or miss, but they are probably the best clearinghouse for information on the repressed.

^^^^^^^^ This is what makes the B&B community great!

Top Bottom