What's new

Shaving creams with parabens

Hi everyone,
This is relatively new to me I have only used shave creams that dont have parabens such as TOBS Aloe vera and Jermyn Street but I would like to try some shave creams from truefitt and hill/geo f trumper etc, according to the ingredients these contain parabens, what effect if any will they have on my skin could they dry it out and make it itchy especially through the winter

From what I understand, parabens were a concern due to an unconfirmed health scare where it was believed that they are carcinogenic. It's the same deal with artificial sweeteners but in both cases, these claims have not been backed by science.

Parabens are just preservatives and they shouldn't cause any issues with the majority of people but it's still possible to have a paraben allergy. There's a good probability that you have already used products with parabens in the past but if you don't want to take a chance, then you could order some samples first. I know that Trumper cream samples are widely available and I think that I've seen some for T&H as well.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The I Coloniali Rhubarb balm has parabens and it's one of the best balms around for me. Go for it.

Cheers, Steve

There are parabens all around you anyhow and you consume them daily without knowing that you do,so I very much doubt that a dab of "parabene" shaving cream will harm you.

There are parabens all around you anyhow and you consume them daily without knowing that you do,so I very much doubt that a dab of "parabene" shaving cream will harm you.
Very true. Most people will not have any issues caused by parabens.
However, some people (like myself) do try to use products that are not only free of parabens but also don't contain silicones, SLS, aluminum chloride or other unnecessary chemicals.
So that goes for shaving soaps, regular soaps, shampoos, hair gels, deodorants, shaving balm, lip balm etc.
So common questions I get are:
- Do they work as good? Yes they do, some better than others.
- Are those products more expensive? No not necessary, but you have do your research.
- Are you 100% chemicals free? No I'm not. Chemicals can be found anywhere and under different names. But I try to be.
- Do you feel any better? No not really. These products do the same as products with chemicals.
- So considering the answers above, why do you use products without chemicals? Because I don't like junk chemicals in the products I use. Chemicals which will later end up in the environment anyway and cause pollution.

The new arko creams have the same good formulation as the orevious one.
They do not have parabens now.
I mwntion this to see that even a cheap cream made in Turkey removed the parabens.
And yes they are harmfull for your health.
Sometimes they can irritate your skin but mostly there are other worse things with them.I avoid them for the same reason i avoid triethanolamine products,which almost every Uk made creams(creightons!)
have.
Mind you i am not ingredient-crazy guy that avoids every "bad" ingredient in the world.

Parabens may mimic estrogen and may have a small link to breast cancer, the stuff on the web is very contentious on both sides of the argument. Some of my favorite lathers are rife with parabens. I don't worry about them when I do pull them out for a shave, all things in moderation. There are proven, bigger health concerns to worry myself about.

As I've started down my DE journey, I've seen a number of products advertising as Paraben Free (Taylor of Old Bond for instance). Good to see that 1) I wasn't the only one who was clueless about what a paraben is and 2) I don't need to throw everything away that has them. Much of what I've found online mirrors the opinions in this thread re: safety of use. Much of what I've found in life mirrors the wise words of @Rasage_Perfecto

Top Bottom