What's new

How to store SV soaps after shaving?

I got the Desert Vetiver and I loved it, just shaved with it. There is lots of opinions about storing creams and soap some people just screw it back in, some leave it overnight. I dont scoop soaps, I have a few cream consistincy soaps like TOBS and Cella and I have soaps like SV, Tabac and I always just drain the water and screw the lid back on. Should I leave it to dry or is it different for the hard soaps or cream like soaps.

My rule of thumb for soaps is to let it dry with the lid off for at least a day then put the lid back on. For creams like TOBS etc. unless you are introducing water to the cream you can put the lid right back on. If you don't want to scoop out some cream swirl a barely samp brush in the cream then bowl or face lather.

No experience with SV soaps but, after wetshaving since 2009 using all types of soaps, I really don't think it matters. For more than 10 years, I lived in a house with well water. Blooming all my soaps and face-lathering, just produced a better lather. At our house I had more counter space and would let soaps air dry for several hours. Since my wife and I downsized to an apartment with less counter space a few years back, I still bloom my soaps out of habit, but now I just rinse, cap them and put away when done. I find no difference.

From the Martin de Candre website: Be sure to always drain your pot after use. The lid provided should only be used when traveling: the longer your soap remains in the open air, the more it can dry out between each use! Remember that humidity is soap's worst enemy...

Consider the MdC "Brain Bowl"; I don't believe it even comes with any kind of lid or cover. I don't know what other soap makers recommend, but I do this with all of my soaps. I typically rotate 3-4 soaps per season, and I keep the lids off of them the entire time. When winter is over, I'll put the lids back on for storage, put them away, and open the spring soaps.

I shake out any excess water and then the lid goes on. Been doing this for years and I've never had a problem.

Top Bottom