What's new

Shaving Creams/Soaps for Sensitive skin

It depends on what you are sensitive to as far as soaps go. I never did figure out what I was, or am, sensitive to as far as shave soaps and creams go. I tried to narrow down the ingredients in the soaps that I got a reaction from and found some common ingredients but the things is those ingredients were in soaps I had no problems with. I came to the conclusion it was certain fragrance oils that were the culprit. The ones that I my face/skin didn't like was Cremo, Wet Shave Products, Tabac caused a little tingling on face, Catie's Bubble Tonsorium was the only scent I tried and caused a slight tingling on face.

I don't have any problems with Saponificio Varesino, TOBS(not very slick for me), D.R. Harris, Palmolive, Proraso(I have the full set in Red and I don't see that the pre-shave does much), Captain's Choice, Truefitt and Hill, Castle Forbes, Barrister and Mann, Van der Hagen, Derby, Razorock are all good for me. For me it was trial and error to find what my skin liked or didn't like.
Are there specific scents that you tried? Especially interested in T&H and CF.

T&H, I only have West Indian Limes, if you like citrus, specifically lime, then it is a nice scent. I think it is a decent performer. I never bought the AS.

CF, I had Cedarwood and Sandalwood, nice soap and decent scent. I can't describe scents but to me it reminded me when I was young(like 45 some years ago) and road the school bus, we lived in a rural area on gravel roads, this scent reminded me of the dust smell in the air on the bus when we opened the windows. But if I closed my eyes and just thought about the scent and smelled it again it smells more like an old cedar chest and not much for sandalwood. I traded this soap to a friend. It was a nice scent but nothing special to me. I currently have CF 1445, this to me smells like a fresh cologne scent would be the best I can describe it. I like the scent and performance of both of these are good. Both of these I bought the Balm and even though it is pricey it makes for a nice matching set.

If I were to choose between T&H and CF as far as performance I think CF is better to me.

I have only been De shaving for 5 months...In that time I have purchased 19 different soaps...So far I have found 4 that didn't irritated my face...Hopefully this will help another newbie.

Ethos: Clean and Success
Noble Otter: Bare
B&M: Lavanille

Mitchell’s Wool Fat leaves my skin soft and smooth. If you are allergic to lanolin, then steer clear.
Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street for Sensitive Skin. Easy on the skin, but doesn’t leave my skin as soft as The Fat.

After trying more than 30 soap bases, and at least half of them being unscented, to me the very best for their great performance and skin friendliness are Mike’s Natural and Mystic Waters unscented.

I get bad reactions to some creams and soaps - overall I would say my skin is pretty sensitive. The following worked really well for me:

Body Shop Maca Root

Proraso (The ‘protettivo e idratante’ one with vitamin e and aloe - I get confused by the various names/colours/formulations!)

Erasmic Shave Cream (modern UK version 75ml tube)

MWF (but ONLY if you have no lanolin allergy!)

I think the pattern for me is that creams/soaps with a lesser scent seem to work well for me. TOBS Lemon and Lime gave me a horrendous reaction.

Anything unscented works for me. Check out Stirling Soaps. Their unscented beeswax is great. For cream, i like TOBS natural/organic.

Best for sensitive skin from my very limited use would be TOBS Jeremyn St for Sensitive skin, TOBS platinum, TOBS avocado (although it has a cucumber scent and no avocado), and TOBS Aloe Vera. Each of these are weakly scented or don't have any edge or oomph to them and are good for the skin

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort, the now discontinued Simpsons Unscented Luxury cream, JM Fraser's cream, and Proraso blue and white. I've never used Speick cream, but their soap stick is very gentle on the skin.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Kiss My Face

Available at Target. Can lather or smear on your face if you are in hurry.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort, the now discontinued Simpsons Unscented Luxury cream, JM Fraser's cream, and Proraso blue and white. I've never used Speick cream, but their soap stick is very gentle on the skin.
There is a limited stock of the original luxury creams in the metal tins - unscented, vanilla and rose, peppermint and rosemary, and cafe latte, on the Simpson web site right now at the discount price of £5 per tin. I would add a few if I were buying a brush and you normally get one tin free anyway. The vanilla and rose is my favourite.

Top Bottom