What's new

Shaving Creams/Soaps for Sensitive skin

What are the best shaving creams/soaps for sensitive skin? Parabens free, mostly natural.
which makes better combination with shaving brush - the cream or the soap?
Thanks so much.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Proraso white for sensitive skin has worked well for me over the years. Only a few soaps cause me a problem, but I don't know which ones don't work for you, and Proraso white is one of the safer non irritating soaps, so that's why I recommend it. It's also inexpensive and performs very well.
You can buy it in a tub or tube.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’d be curious to know the sensitivity issue you are having. I used to believe my skin was sensitive before I started DE shaving. I would consistently get razor burn and irritation below the jawline. I can achieve a 100% irritation free shave every time now. Making adjustments to how my hair grows and shaving WTG has made a significant difference for me. If your skin is having a reaction to product, that’s another story. Also if your skin is truly sensitive the type of shaving brush you are using may exacerbate that issue. I hope you are able to find some relief.

Cella Extra Extra Bio tends to be quite good for sensitive skin. Arko Extra Sensitive cream has lavender, if your okay with that it is really mild. Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street is also for sensitive skin and works quite well.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Another one that may be good is Taylor of Old Bond Street Organic Shaving Cream w/Aloe & Jojoba.
It says it's "Fragrance, Paraben and preservative free"
Seems a little more pricey than other TOBS creams, but might be worth it.

Real Shaving has a sensitive skin cream available. It is very different from anything they had years ago. The scent of all their products has been changed to a very pleasant citrus and the performance is every bit as good as the old cream, which was a Creightons product. Unfortunately no longer available in North America. I had some sent direct from UK. Expensive, but I ordered enough to make the shipping worthwhile. If you run across the new ones, they are well worthwhile.

The ones that have worked for me (current favorite on top):

MdC unscented and original
MÜHLE Organic (my review from 2016)
The Gentlemen's Refinery

I used to use Art of Shaving before all of these, but P&G changed the formulation and it didn't work for me anymore. XPEC worked well but it is no longer available.

Creams that have caused irritation (even though I liked the scent and performance):

St. James of London
Acqua di Parma (tried it for the first time just a few days ago)

I have sensi skin. I found the proraso white stings me and causes irritaion, so i prefer the red.

everyone is different, im off to try TOBS next

Do I need the proraso preshave Cream before using any of the proraso shaving creams?

It was almost mandatory with the old formulation of the soap because of the lack of a decent slickness (the cream was an hair better in that regard). With the new excellent "Superformula" I think the pre-shave cream is unnecessary.

proxy.php

It depends on what you are sensitive to as far as soaps go. I never did figure out what I was, or am, sensitive to as far as shave soaps and creams go. I tried to narrow down the ingredients in the soaps that I got a reaction from and found some common ingredients but the things is those ingredients were in soaps I had no problems with. I came to the conclusion it was certain fragrance oils that were the culprit. The ones that I my face/skin didn't like was Cremo, Wet Shave Products, Tabac caused a little tingling on face, Catie's Bubble Tonsorium was the only scent I tried and caused a slight tingling on face.

I don't have any problems with Saponificio Varesino, TOBS(not very slick for me), D.R. Harris, Palmolive, Proraso(I have the full set in Red and I don't see that the pre-shave does much), Captain's Choice, Truefitt and Hill, Castle Forbes, Barrister and Mann, Van der Hagen, Derby, Razorock are all good for me. For me it was trial and error to find what my skin liked or didn't like.

Top Bottom